SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

UND will not be playing McNeese St. this season. They've announced their complete 12-game schedule, and the Sioux are not on it.

Seems like the schedule is alot LESS complete than coach Lennon had led us to believe through Nov. and Dec. :D

That's for sure. At this point, I have to think we're probably going to be seeing more than just two dII's (or NAIA's) on the schedule for home games.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you say that? McNeese wasn't a home game.

I realize that, and neither was Cal Poly, but we have to be open to the idea that USD isn't going to necessarily be a home game as most of us thought it would be, and it's just somewhat hard for me to fathom at this point that we're going to be able to find two or three quality FCS opponents willing to travel to play a non-counter. I hope I'm wrong, I just have a hunch that TAMUK and SCSU aren't going to be the only non-FCS opponents on the 2008 schedule.

I have a feeling the home schedule is going to be void of any big names. All of the FCS teams that have openings and any chance of going .500 or better are saying No to us. Just the reality of the process. Obviously we hope there are no NAIA teams on the schedule but the reality is there may need to be one.

We have seen it played out by NDSU and SDSU already. There is nothing we can do but support the team and know that the schedules in the 4 years after this one are going to be remarkably better. That is a guarantee.

Most of us have known that scheduling will be very difficult and that there will be some pretty unappealing teams on all of the schedules with this transition. The frustrating thing about the football schedule though is that we heard way back last summer when UND joined the Great West that the schedule was nearly complete at that time. Then in November we had 10 games scheduled. Then in December we had 9 games scheduled. Then just 8 in January. Now we know McNeese is a no, and 99% chance that Cal-Poly is a no, so is it currently at 8 or maybe even just 7?

Does the coaching change in St. Cloud have a bearing on that game?

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor of playing South Dakota twice became a reality.

At one point, Lennon said that they would like to have or were going to be close to having 6 home games. The way teams are dropping off the schedule like flies, and with the possiblity of the USD game being in Vermillion, I'm thinking just 4 home games is more realistic.

All of this is what I would expect for a first year transitional school, so normally I wouldn't be so frustrated, had Coach Lennon not said in July that scheduling was nearly done. ???

Ok, I am not the official on this offer, but the fact is, und needs the cash on this way more than we do.

Would you care to enlighten us as to how UND needs the cash from a Sioux- bison game more than NDAC does? A lot of bi-son fans keep saying this but none can ever seem to state any facts that back this statement up. It would appear NDAC needs some cash of their own unless they hope to continue having the citizens of Fargo finance their facilities for them.

Who is "us"? Are you with the athletic department?

He's probably referring to the small group of NDSU fans who think that if they pretend to hate UND and the rivalry that they were apart of and went to every single game of that they can make it go away forever.

The sad, hypocritical thing is that when the rivalry starts up again in 2009, they'll all be at the game.

Bisonator I know will have a front row seat.

To get this thread back on topic. Is anyone else worried about the state of our 2008 schedule. It's looking like our home schedule is going to be:

Texas A&M Kingsville

South Dakota

St. Cloud

Southern Utah

If we lose the rumored St. Cloud game it could get interesting. I know that it is a scary thought but is there any chance that we end up with an NAIA on the schedule?

To get this thread back on topic. Is anyone else worried about the state of our 2008 schedule. It's looking like our home schedule is going to be:

Texas A&M Kingsville

South Dakota

St. Cloud

Southern Utah

If we lose the rumored St. Cloud game it could get interesting. I know that it is a scary thought but is there any chance that we end up with an NAIA on the schedule?

I don't think it's a sure thing that South Dakota will be at home next year. The league will determine where that game is played and does not have to follow the NCC rotation. South Dakota does not currently have a league home game and the league may see that they do.

Texas A&M Kingsville

South Dakota

St. Cloud

Southern Utah

Honestly, it really would not be the end of the world if we were only able to schedule 4 or 5 home games next season. It's the toughest year of scheduling and hopefully we can arrange some home and homes for the following year. Plus having only a few home games would stir up demand for tickets as fans would only have a few times to come out and see the team play. As a fan you have to understand that the schedule will only get better, if we have few lackluster opponents this season then that is the price we will have to pay to have better schedules in the future. If we're still scheduling crap at the end of our transition (see NDSU's non- conference opponents) then we should be concerned.

If it's any consolation this schedule was almost finished a few months ago. Two schools backed out of games with us (Butler, San Diego) both of which were going to be in the Alerus center and the Cal-Poly game was voided by the Commissioner.

That's interesting. I had not heard these names mentioned. Do we know why they backed out? Does anyone know if we are still in talks with any schools about other possible home games?

I wouldn't worry too much about where you play the Coyotes this year. The USD program in now firmly on the downslide after a few lucky years of marginal success. If the two teams play twice all the better for the Sioux since that would be two relatively easy wins. UND will transition much better than USD in football because UND can actually win on the road and USD cannot win a big game on the road to save their life, plus UND's success against D1's is already much better than what USD has done which is to get annihilated in those games. The Coyotes might actually go winless on the road considering the competition will be quite a ways over their heads for at least a few years. Most USD fans don't know it right now but they will soon find out that their current coaching staff is probably not the right staff to go to D1 with. No defense, bad road play, no discipline and a quarterback that can't hit the broad side of a barn. Not a good formula for success. It might be a few years before USD gets a GWA win.

USD's schedule is not looking very good this year at all. They were dubbed to play all of their Great West Alliance games on the road and depending on the commissioner they still might do that which really wouldn't be all that bad. Might as well get those road games over with in the first year. Last I heard USD was going to play Culver Stockton, Missouri-Rolla and even possibly Dakota Wesleyen at home in 2008. The schedule still hasn't been released yet but it's not looking good. All the tough games are on the road. It actually won't be a schedule that will do much to improve the team. They will win easily at home and get blown out much of the time on the road. It sure won't make for good practice in tight games that go down to the wire.

I wish UND good luck in their transition. Since USD won't be doing much under the current regime I hope at least UND can do themselves proud.

If it's any consolation this schedule was almost finished a few months ago. Two schools backed out of games with us (Butler, San Diego) both of which were going to be in the Alerus center and the Cal-Poly game was voided by the Commissioner.

I'd really like to understand Grom's rationale for cancelling the Poly game. If Poly chooses to play two transitioning teams, that's Poly's choice. As far as determining a conference champion with differring amounts of games played, there are creative ways to deal with the issue. Over the years, a number of conferences (like CUSA and the SunBelt) have desiginated certain non-conference games as conference games so that every school plays equal numbers of "conference" games. If a IA conference can deal with it, certainly Grom could have been a little creative.

Non-scholarship IAA teams like Butler and San Diego would have been ideal to complete the home schedule. :lol: