SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

This thread from the USD board indicates that the UND-USD game will be in Vermillion. I can't find any confirmation anywhere, but I'd say that it is quite possible.

If that schedule is accurate, I really really like ours so far. USD apparently has 2 NAIA's, 2 DII's, and UND for their home schedule. :whistling:

Shouldn't that be 3 NAIA's. St Ambrose, Culver Stockton, and Southern Oregon are all NAIA according to their websites. Yeah I had to look up where these schools were. Not very pleased with this schedule, but not totally suprised.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 10 games again, huh? :whistling:

That would be 3 consecutive years with a 10 game schedule. I would have hoped with a 12 game FCS season that we could have gotten at least 11 games this year.

I don't think people realize how hard 'Year One' is to put together a schedule. It is 100% impossible to put together a solid FCS schedule in the first year of the transition. Just the way it is setup.

1. UND is a non-counter. Meaning, by playing them that game does not count towards the other teams playoff criteria. That is a

huge red flag for all teams that will even go .500 and have a glimmer of hope to make the playoffs.

2. Most of the .500 or better teams that did have openings told us No because they didn

I don't think people realize how hard 'Year One' is to put together a schedule. It is 100% impossible to put together a solid FCS schedule in the first year of the transition. Just the way it is setup.

1. UND is a non-counter. Meaning, by playing them that game does not count towards the other teams playoff criteria. That is a

huge red flag for all teams that will even go .500 and have a glimmer of hope to make the playoffs.

2. Most of the .500 or better teams that did have openings told us No because they didn

Sioux fans didn't have a problem with who was on NDSU's schedule that year. Sioux fans had a problem with Bison fans trying to portray the teams on their schedule as all being world beaters. NDSU people have a habit of making everyone they play a lot better than they really are. UND could possibly end up with a couple of weaker teams but I don't beleive we will try to sell a Montana Tech or Valpo as the the best thing since sliced bread.

I think 95% of those that post on here know how difficult scheduling would be this year, and will continue to be for the next several years.

I like the schedule that we know of so far. The only "uninteresting" game really is Texas A&M-Kingsville, and that really isn't so bad either. The other DII's on the schedule are familiar foes at least from what was the strongest conference in the division.

And yes, the road schedule is good. I just think that in a year like this, with no chance for post-season play for the foreseeable future, it is important to get as many games as possible especially in an odd year like this that allows a rare 12th regular season game, and I know how hard it can be to make that happen. If we have to bring in another low-tier DII, or even a DIII or NAIA, to get that done, I think it should be considered.

This year, at least, the more games the better.

I actually think that Valparaiso was a nice get for NDSU for their first DI schedule. Sure they are non-scholarship, and probably not as good as many DII or even some NAIA teams, but they play in FCS subdivision, and have name-recognition. It is common place for entrenched programs to play one gimmie-game a year. In a couple years, once we become established, I would much rather play a yearly non-schollie team from the Pioneer League like Drake, Butler, or Valpo than a Humboldt St. or some other lesser DII team.

Maybe a stupid question, but wouldn't we have actually been better off had the Great West not decided to "sort of" add UND and USD for the 2008 season, and instead wait until 2009? But for this would-be concession by the Great West, we likely would have hosted USD instead of travelling to Vermillion again, AND we apparently would have had a game against Cal Poly? :whistling: We had Southern Utah at home anyway, so I'm not sure we got anything good out of this in the short term.

I actually think that Valparaiso was a nice get for NDSU for their first DI schedule. Sure they are non-scholarship, and probably not as good as many DII or even some NAIA teams, but they play in FCS subdivision, and have name-recognition. It is common place for entrenched programs to play one gimmie-game a year. In a couple years, once we become established, I would much rather play a yearly non-schollie team from the Pioneer League like Drake, Butler, or Valpo than a Humboldt St. or some other lesser DII team.

Valpo has zero name recognition. Homer and Bryce Drew are not a part of this team. The only thing Valpo is known for is a off-balance 40 foot three pointer that may be one of the best plays in the history of March Madness. Their football team is extremely pathetic.

What would happen is we would schedule them as a "FCS Opponent", they would show up and lose by 60 and people would start to wonder what this transition is all about. Better off not playing them.

I know for a fact that we could have scheduled one of those Pioneer Conference teams if we wanted to. Who knows, we may have one on the schedule or on the line but we haven't heard anything.

Put in that light, you essentially traded an away game with Davis for a home game with Poly.

Davis would not have scheduled you has you not been in the GW this year.

I believe Cal Poly would have been a road game. As for UC-Davis, I'm not really in a position to speculate as to what they may have done, but if Poly agreed to schedule UND, I would think UC Davis may have done the same. Perhaps it would have come down to choosing to play either UND or USD?

Maybe a stupid question, but wouldn't we have actually been better off had the Great West not decided to "sort of" add UND and USD for the 2008 season, and instead wait until 2009? But for this would-be concession by the Great West, we likely would have hosted USD instead of travelling to Vermillion again, AND we apparently would have had a game against Cal Poly? :whistling: We had Southern Utah at home anyway, so I'm not sure we got anything good out of this in the short term.

Would we have gotten the game with Davis though? And who knows whether or not Cal Poly would have even had discussions with UND had we not joined the GWFC. Had we not joined the conference it is not a given that we could have scheduled both of the Cali schools anyways, perhaps neither for that matter. One is better than none. Apparently, joining the league this year at the least prompted the GWFC to force each Cali school to play one of the Dakota schools. Without that mandate, the Cali schools could have just as easily scheduled a lesser GNAC school for their "non-counter" game.

The "good" of joining the League this year is that our student-athletes can receive weekly and yearly conference honors, and we can compete for the conference title, apparently by virtue of some formula that will substitute a team with a comparable GPI on the UxD's schedule for the GWFC teams we don't play.

Valpo has zero name recognition. Homer and Bryce Drew are not a part of this team. The only thing Valpo is known for is a off-balance 40 foot three pointer that may be one of the best plays in the history of March Madness. Their football team is extremely pathetic.

So you have heard of them, then, right?

I'm just saying that playing a DI non-scholarship program sounds way better to me than a DIII (also non-scholarship) Wisconsin-Whitewater for example, or a NSIC team with 7 scholarships.