SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2008 schedule

Yote 53

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched the Sioux Boosters Luncheon video from last Friday, and Coach Mussman was asked about the schedule (again). He said UND has 8 games scheduled for 2008, and 9 games scheduled for 2009. The 8 games for this upcoming season would seem to contradict what we've all been talking about and what is in the wiki. It is sounding more and more like we will end up not playing a full GWFC schedule after all, like SloStang said, no Cal Poly? :D

I wonder who the non-conference games for '09 are? I believe the Idaho St. deal is for a home-and-home. Also assume that SELU probably is too? Certainly will be another DII on the schedule I'd guess.

I just watched the Sioux Boosters Luncheon video from last Friday, and Coach Mussman was asked about the schedule (again). He said UND has 8 games scheduled for 2008, and 9 games scheduled for 2009. The 8 games for this upcoming season would seem to contradict what we've all been talking about and what is in the wiki. It is sounding more and more like we will end up not playing a full GWFC schedule after all, like SloStang said, no Cal Poly? :D

I wonder who the non-conference games for '09 are? I believe the Idaho St. deal is for a home-and-home. Also assume that SELU probably is too? Certainly will be another DII on the schedule I'd guess.

I don't know if you guys know this or not but Cal Poly missed the playoffs in 2004 because they played both NDSU and SDSU. They have a great team coming back next year, I don't think you can blame them from not wanting to play both schools.

Oh, the irony. UND made the playoffs in 2004, because they didn't penalize themselves in the playoff format by playing NDSU or SDSU. :ohmy:

I don't think so - I think DII changed there policy before the second started because of all the up roar. Besides you know for a fact that they wouldn't have made it?

I don't know if you guys know this or not but Cal Poly missed the playoffs in 2004 because they played both NDSU and SDSU. They have a great team coming back next year, I don't think you can blame them from not wanting to play both schools.

I think everyone understands why the limited GWFC schedule could happen next year, can't fault the CA schools for putting themselves in the best position possible to make the playoffs. This article from early December indicated that we'd play all the GWFC schools. Apparently something has changed since then.

Slostang posted this schedule for UC Davis over on AnyGivenSaturday. I haven't seen an official release of it yet but I am sure he will be stopping by to let us know how official this is.

UC Davis 2008 schedule

Aug. 30 @ San Jose State

Sept. 6 @ Central Arkansas

Sept. 13 Portland State

Sept. 20 @ Montana

Sept. 27 @ Northeastern

Oct. 4 Northern Colorado

Oct. 11 Southern Utah (homecoming)

Oct. 18 Iona

Oct. 25 University of North Dakota

Nov. 8 Sac State

Nov. 15 @ Cal Poly

Nov. 22 @ University of San Diego

I came across this post on the McNeese St. board. It lists all of the "tentative" schedules for the Southland Conference teams so far.

It shows Southeastern Louisiana AT North Dakota on October 11. A poster later in the thread stated that UND would indeed be at SELU next year.

No mention of UND on McNeese's schedule, although there were still 3 open dates left.

The same post indicates that UND will travel to Northwestern St. in 2009.

The game is definitely in Hammond next year.

slulionsfan,

Is it solid that the UND-SELU game is only a one game deal? SLC teams seem to like home-and-home deals. I can't imagine UND going all the way down there for nothing in return, and SELU doesn't seem like the type of school that would pay much of guarantee to a school like UND.

slulionsfan,

Is it solid that the UND-SELU game is only a one game deal? SLC teams seem to like home-and-home deals. I can't imagine UND going all the way down there for nothing in return, and SELU doesn't seem like the type of school that would pay much of guarantee to a school like UND.

The info I got sounded pretty solid, but I'm not 100% certain.

A message board poster on D2football.com is reporting that UND will host Texas A&M-Kingsville on 8/28/08. TAMUK is historically a strong program, but went just 3-8 this year.

link

Texas AM Kingsville is a really bad D2 team... "This will be the Javs' ninth game in a domed stadium and the first since a 52-7 loss to North Dakota State in the Fargodome in 2000."

Texas AM Kingsville is a really bad D2 team... "This will be the Javs' ninth game in a domed stadium and the first since a 52-7 loss to North Dakota State in the Fargodome in 2000."

Why did you post this? I don't recall anybody on here stating they were a really good football team. They used to be but obviously fell on hard times.

I know you don't want us to bring up two teams that NDSU played their first year (TAMKU is better than both). :silly:

I assume you're going to try to schedule 12, since no playoffs.

That's leaves still 3 more games to schedule (assuming the 4 rumored games come through). And Saint Cloud, a D2, is also one of the rumored games.

So you already have 2 D2 teams out of 9 probable games in 2009 vs. us having 1 D2, 1 NAIA and 1 FCS non scholarship in 2004.

Looks like there's still a possibility of playing Cal Poly in 2008: link

Cal Poly hosts UC Davis on Nov. 15 and is expected to host Southern Utah in another Great West Football Conference game. School officials are trying to secure a game with at least one of the two newcomers to the league, South Dakota and North Dakota.