SiouxSports.com Forum

Let the countdown begin!

darell1976

Just tossing one out there. UND Legends. The logo could be Teddy Roosevelt. Neither the name or the logo are original ideas. Siouxrunner had the name idea here and I think a number of people have mentioned having TR as a logo.

I'm still on board with keeping the current name and logo first, if that does't work out having no nickname or logo and just using "Dakota" on the uniforms, but I just wanted to toss out another option for thought.

As you've stated before, it would set us apart from the other 3 flagships in the Dakotas. Sort of like "Carolina" being synonomous with the University of North Carolina. I like the idea.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Just Mallards I don't relate to them being fighters

If Fighting is important Fighting Calvary is the way to go

Like I said ask the tribes (every member) to vote on it ASAP & while asking make the request permanent

If we lose - lets change ASAP not wait 3 years

All the other BS has been said over & over - Nows the time, Lets us continue to honor you, or it's over & lets move on.

I hope we keep the Name Fighting Sioux for Ralph's sake & what he gave us for the REA - I wonder what he would say & do now after this ? ? ? :silly: If the Tribes (majority) have not heard or figured out what we are about by now. What the heck will 3 yrs do for us - Unless his (Ralph's) Foundation gets new blood & finds a way to win them over - I'm sorry but the same old song & dance from Strinden is not going to do it.

The New President & AD are not going to want to deal with it.

I also wonder if he (Ralph) gave Betty or his daughter any instructions in case this happened again ? I don't think taxpayers want anymore to do with it & what can the rest of the Alumni & Fans do ?

I hope the day doesn't ever come, but if we have to change the name I like North Stars. It won't affend anyone, it fits our location, it is positive, it is unique as no other college team has it. I realize that the Minnesota hockey fans might not like it but that too is a positive in my book. We could have ND as our logo with a star above the N signifying north star just like the old Minnesota North Stars jerseys. Let's go Stars is as close to Let's go Sioux as you will find...

I still like the Roughriders...Symbolism is that we were chosen by Roosevelt to ride with him based on his experiences with the North Dakotans and the charge up San Juan Hill was done with ND horsemen beside him all the way...What says more about ND than to have a NY governor choose you to represent the US Calvary in the battle for Cuba?

I wouldn't go with the Reds as you would have the inevitable color changes to meet the name and you would be harrassed as being mean to the color blind!

ROUGHRIDERS - SADDLE UP!

You're right....you think we are getting blasted now? Wait till the name is changed to the Reds. That'll rile 'em up, and I think that's been done enought already. Something that pertains to the entire state of North Dakota would be fitting for a nickname change, seeing as this is THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA!

UND Northern Lights

We could have a cool light show during the games to represent the Northern Lights - Lite em up Lights! We could actually have a cool logo with this name. Maybe something sorta like the Carolina Hurricanes but in green, black and white to represent the swirling lights?

Northern-Lights.jpg

UND Harvest

We plow our competition down! Logo could be a funny farmer character that is catchy like the Irish logo.

UND Northern Lights

We could have a cool light show during the games to represent the Northern Lights - Lite em up Lights! We could actually have a cool logo with this name. Maybe something sorta like the Carolina Hurricanes but in green, black and white to represent the swirling lights?

Northern-Lights.jpg

UND Harvest

We plow our competition down! Logo could be a funny farmer character that is catchy like the Irish logo.

Great idea, we could invite the Atomic Energy Commission to help us out in the halftime show.

I do not want to see anything that has to do with farming. North Dakota has a hick enough image and UND doesn't need to perpetuate that image. Besides, the Ag College can have that. I also don't want to see anything that is a meteorological name. Storm, Blizzard, Freeze, etc. are better left to WNBA teams.

I do want to see something that reflects North Dakota, it's history and it's heritage. And one of the things that I love most about the Sioux logo is that it is not a cheesy cartoonish logo. It is very distinguished and noble.

Some of my top choices:

Norskies

Scandies

Vikes (not vikings)

the ever popular cavalry

Troopers

I have to say that University of North Dakota Norskies has a nice ring to it.

I do not want to see anything that has to do with farming. North Dakota has a hick enough image and UND doesn't need to perpetuate that image. Besides, the Ag College can have that. I also don't want to see anything that is a meteorological name. Storm, Blizzard, Freeze, etc. are better left to WNBA teams.

I do want to see something that reflects North Dakota, it's history and it's heritage. And one of the things that I love most about the Sioux logo is that it is not a cheesy cartoonish logo. It is very distinguished and noble.

Some of my top choices:

Norskies

Scandies

Vikes (not vikings)

the ever popular cavalry

Troopers

How about the University of North Dakota Nordics?

You're right....you think we are getting blasted now? Wait till the name is changed to the Reds. That'll rile 'em up, and I think that's been done enought already. Something that pertains to the entire state of North Dakota would be fitting for a nickname change, seeing as this is THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA!

I don't mean to be a smart ass: How does red fit with the color green?

There are many things that are part of ND: Duck (Mallard, pintails, etc) Pheasants, Honkers, Beets, Corn, Haybales, Prairie Fires, Tornados, oil wells, floods, hail... The possibilities are un limited. I will however, not tolerate Flickertails like one moron radio host suggested today.

Some of my top choices:

Norskies

Scandies

Vikes (not vikings)

the ever popular cavalry

Troopers

Norwegian aren't mascotts. :silly: How about Germans there are lots of them in ND as well...

The Fighting Norse --> best I have seen so far. uses viking theme w/o blatantly stealing from our friends in the cities, & also lets us keep at least HALF of our old name.

farming motifs - redneck, hicky, & lame/weak

weather/phenomena - as mentioned previously, too wnba/lame

yeah, I am pissed.

My take though: tribe leaders just leveraging to get us to bribe them more (which is smart actually, since bc of the NCAA's take they control a resource valuable to us). but UND will try settle/appease them before resorting to a name switch. having a new name ready though will add to our bargaining power. So might as well discuss, sigh.

The Fighting Norse --> best I have seen so far. uses viking theme w/o blatantly stealing from our friends in the cities, & also lets us keep at least HALF of our old name.

Norse is the mascot name used by Northern Kentucky University. How about Fighting Norsemen or Northmen? Same idea but I don't think anyone is using either one.

I sort of like the idea of replacing the word "Sioux," which didn't originate from Siouan languages, and replacing it with a word that did.

By the way, how ironic is it that scholars label the languages of the Dakota, Lakota and Nakota as "Siouan," a word derived from "Sioux." Somebody better fix that. :D

Gotta love the irony of it all.

With the Sitting Bull statue and some of the logos to still be in place at REA, having no new nickname/logo and using "Dakota" on the jerseys will play quite nicely. And since UND (1883) predates North Dakota (1889), Dakota fits historically with the Dakota Territory. :silly: