SiouxSports.com Forum

Let the countdown begin!

darell1976

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fighting Norse --> best I have seen so far.

The Force of the Norse? ;)

With the Sitting Bull statue and some of the logos to still be in place at REA, having no new nickname/logo and using "Dakota" on the jerseys will play quite nicely. And since UND (1883) predates North Dakota (1889), Dakota fits historically with the Dakota Territory. :silly:

Yep! :D

I realize that USD was the first of the Dakota schools, but I didn't realize that they were going through a possible name change. :silly:

My point was that UND predates North Dakota.

Please, dear Lord, not "Cavalry". That, with all due respect, blows.

Just be North Dakota. No nickname (if that is indeed possible given the language in the agreement) and use the University logo with the flame

UND_Logo_Flame.jpg

or just "North Dakota" along a diagonal.

Just be North Dakota. No nickname.

I tend to agree. The "Cavalry" would obviously offend women, who cannot by law be in "the combat arms" components, current fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan not withstanding, and I'm sure gays would be offended by the "don't ask, don't tell" policy of the military. :silly::D;)

Just be North Dakota. No nickname (if that is indeed possible given the language in the agreement) and use the University logo with the flame

UND_Logo_Flame.jpg

That's a fine logo for academic purposes, but a wussy logo for athletics.

I still like the "no nickname" idea and just go by North Dakota. The uni's would have this on the front:

N. DAKOTA

That's a fine logo for academic purposes, but a wussy logo for athletics.

I still like the "no nickname" idea and just go by North Dakota. The uni's would have this on the front:

N. DAKOTA

What if we made the flames look like feathers? :silly:

taz

Personally, I would prefer to just go with North Dakota. But, if we have to have a name and we want to include ND history, then "Grizzlies" would be a possibility. I have trouble really grasping on to that but it is better than blizzard, rain, sleet, etc. For those that don't know, grizzlies roamed the plains of ND during the time of the Lewis and Clark expedition (read "Undaunted Courage"). Reading the journals of their exploration provide accounts of several encounters with them. And yes, I know that a certain MT school already has that.

On another note, everyone should be prepared in the near future to begin seeing stories and claims about Native Americans and other pro-name change individuals being offered cash or other incentives, or of being harrassed, intimidated, etc. about getting the tribes to agree to allow UND to continue to use the name Fighting Sioux. There have previously been unsubstantiated allegations of discrimination (without any details or proof) and I would expect that to be revived. Unfortunately, there will quite likely be a few situations that may prove to be true, but I believe that this is a tactic that will be used to reflect negatively on UND and its supporters.

Finally, let's forget the three year thing and set a deadline for working with the tribes. Something by the end of 2008 or June 1, 2009. That way if it doesn't come to pass there is sufficient time to do the other thing, whatever that may be.

UND_Logo_Flame.jpg

Agreed... calvary is not cool.. There really is no good answer to what it should be but not that.. some gay lookin mascot dressed up as a soldier from a hundred years ago would scare the kids. UND BLizzard or stuff like that... and certainly not flickertails

Personally, I would prefer to just go with North Dakota. But, if we have to have a name and we want to include ND history, then "Grizzlies" would be a possibility.
Copy Montana?

Most Midwestern flagship U's took on the name of their state nickname.

Gophers State

Hawkeye State

Jayhawk State

Cornhusker State

Sooner State

Badger State

Cowboy State

Wolverine State

Hoosier State

Buckeye State

Volunteer State

Razorback State

Blue Hen State

Terrapin State

Beaver State

Coyote State

Rough Rider State

How about "Stormtroopers"? We could always say that it would be inspired by Star Wars and not the NSDAP. I'm sure George Lucas would accept a humble offering to allow us use of the name.

This name would kick ass! :silly: We would have the coolest looking uniforms of any team in the league. The hockey team could look like the team in the Bob & Doug McKenzie movie Strange Brew

Speaking of Star Wars: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wffwg7pA0t8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wffwg7pA0t8</a>