SiouxSports.com Forum

Let the countdown begin!

darell1976

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget the name. No sense in kissing the asses of tribal leaders. Time for a change. How about the North Dakota Fighting Sugar Beets?

sugar_beet.jpg

Exactly what I was thinking. To all you who think we should see what we can do to gain their approval. We already give them more than anyone and they still stuck it to us. SCREW THEM!!

Sugar beets rob the soil of precious nitrogren, and I find that quite upsetting. :lol: I'm offended.

Sugar is bad for you. Plus, the word "beets" implies that we're in favor of violence. :D

RAGING REDS

Now there's a good replacement name. :lol:

How about the Gregarious Green? We get to keep the same colors, and it symbolizes that we are very welcoming and outgoing.

We could keep our colors and still be the Raging Reds, which sympbolizes UND's historical, geographical and geological roots. This nickname has to do with UND being located at the confluence of the Red and Red Lake rivers, which have a tendency to go on the rampage from time to time. The rivers aren't really red, anyway. So we could use the rivers' names as part of the nickname and keep using the same colors.

The great thing about this nickname is that it would continue to drive the PC zealots nuts. All we need to do is tell those who protest that they're hopelessly ignorant about our culture and past. :lol:

We could keep our colors and still be the Raging Reds, which sympbolizes UND's historical, geographical and geological roots. This nickname has to do with UND being located at the confluence of the Red and Red Lake rivers, which have a tendency to go on the rampage from time to time. The rivers aren't really red, anyway. So we could use the rivers' names as part of the nickname and keep using the same colors.

The great thing about this nickname is that it would continue to drive the PC zealots nuts. All we need to do is tell those who protest that they're hopelessly ignorant about our culture and past. :lol:

Hmm...the Red does tend to rage from time to time. What about the fish and other animals that are negatively impacted by this? It's a little disturbing that you're not taking their feelings into consideration. :lol:

Hmm...the Red does tend to rage from time to time. What about the fish and other animals that are negatively impacted by this? It's a little disturbing that you're not taking their feelings into consideration. :lol:

It's just nature. What can you do? :lol:

We also have the Grand Forks Greenway, so there's a logical connection to the current school colors.

Sugar is bad for you. Plus, the word "beets" implies that we're in favor of violence. :D

RAGING REDS

Now there's a good replacement name. :lol:

I don't think we can use a color in our name. I heard a rumor that the Crayola people won't give us their approval.

Why not just go with the "Dakota" or with "Dakotans"? The first simply refers to the last part of our state's name. The second simply refers to the state's inhabitants. This could be a take from the MIAC where the team names are the St. John's "Johnnies" the St. Olaf "Oles" etc.

Why not just go with the "Dakota" or with "Dakotans"? The first simply refers to the last part of our state's name. The second simply refers to the state's inhabitants. This could be a take from the MIAC where the team names are the St. John's "Johnnies" the St. Olaf "Oles" etc.

IMO those are all kind of lame. I think if we can't just be the University of North Dakota then we should be the roughriders or the cavalry. It will be strange for a while but i feel like in 20,30, 40 years people will have gotten over the Sioux name and a new legacy will be in full force.

Roughriders/cavalry (preferably roughriders) has good ND roots (the roughrider state), plus it is something original that will be able to catch on.

I really hope they don't go with something weak like the dakotans or the blizzard or something like that.

Thats just my opinion though.

IMO those are all kind of lame. I think if we can't just be the University of North Dakota then we should be the roughriders or the cavalry. It will be strange for a while but i feel like in 20,30, 40 years people will have gotten over the Sioux name and a new legacy will be in full force.

Roughriders/cavalry (preferably roughriders) has good ND roots (the roughrider state), plus it is something original that will be able to catch on.

I really hope they don't go with something weak like the dakotans or the blizzard or something like that.

Thats just my opinion though.

Those are good points. I'd love to see them as the cavalry. Perhaps the "Fighting 7th Cavalry" or something like that. That is not "objectifying" indigenous peoples and we would not have the "I am not a mascot" whining.

i think the cavalry would be a cool name also. or fighting cavalry. roughriders seems a little bit unoriginal since red river already posseses that name..

I like Calvary, we could have a helicopter as our logo as well... (air Cav)

What about all the red headed, pale, freckle faced people you would be offending?

It has nothing to do with them or any other reddish people. It's about UND's history, its geography, its geology, its hydrology and the forces of nature that have shaped its culture and heritage. It's not our fault that some people choose to be ignorant about us. :D

Just tossing one out there. UND Legends. The logo could be Teddy Roosevelt. Neither the name or the logo are original ideas. Siouxrunner had the name idea here and I think a number of people have mentioned having TR as a logo.

I'm still on board with keeping the current name and logo first, if that does't work out having no nickname or logo and just using "Dakota" on the uniforms, but I just wanted to toss out another option for thought.

I'm still on board with keeping the current name and logo first, if that does't work out having no nickname or logo and just using "Dakota" on the uniforms, but I just wanted to toss out another option for thought.

I sort of like the idea of replacing the word "Sioux," which didn't originate from Siouan languages, and replacing it with a word that did.

By the way, how ironic is it that scholars label the languages of the Dakota, Lakota and Nakota as "Siouan," a word derived from "Sioux." Somebody better fix that. :silly: