SiouxSports.com Forum

New GFK Terminal

GeauxSioux

33 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Yep,  Fargo is going to piss off 90% of their travelers that have a 10 mile or less drive to the airport to make it more convenient for people in the GF area to catch a flight. Not going to happen. 

NDSU football fans will convince Fargo to close Hector so they can build a larger domed stadium on those grounds for Big Ten football membership.  :lol::p   It’s all spelled out on Bozoville.  Where else is a bigger domed stadium possible?  And more land for NDSU expansion of their cattle barns and experimental Ag stations?

• Upvote 1

On 7/25/2019 at 11:46 AM, northernraider said:

The fact DVL has service to Denver via United is a major issue to getting some type of west connection. UA has tried GFK a couple of times, but canceled quickly. 

Northwest did it for years, then delta decided DVL JMS AND TVF didn’t need service. United picked up Jamestown and Devils Lake will boutique Air was assigned Thief River. 

• 2 years later...

Budget thrill ride (a/k/a Allegiant) screwing with the GFK market.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/lifestyle/travel/7257713-Allegiant-Air-abruptly-cancels-all-flights-in-Grand-Forks-during-month-of-December

Delta has to be thinking KA-CHING!  Which is fine, BUT...this would be the perfect time for Delta to restore GFK service to something closer to pre-COVID levels.  Not sure if anyone's tried booking lately since life got back to normal-ish, but 3 flights a day is just crap for connecting, and consistently super-full CRJs are just blecch.

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Air Service Expansion Committee to Grand Forks businesses: Please fly local

The committee will seek commitments from local organizations to fly out of Grand Forks International Airport. It's just one part of the committee's work to expand and improve local flight services.

I know there are quite a few UND alums in the know about the aviation industry, and I'm curious about overall thoughts as to the GFK airport service.

Does this committee actually do anything other than ask GF area businesses to increase their own costs by committing to "flying local" out of kindness?  

Are there any realistic prospects for expanding service at GFK?  Seems like there are just 3 Delta flights daily now, and some haphazard Allegiant service to Vegas, Mesa, and Orlando.

I only fly 4-6 times in a year.  On the major carriers, it's often nearly half the cost from FAR, with far better connection options.  Obviously because there is much more competition.  On Allegiant, it is usually cheaper out of GFK, with far fewer flights, which makes me think service from Allegiant at GFK could be in a precarious position, although most every Allegiant flight I have ever been on out of there is mostly full.

I live about the same distance from FAR and GFK.  If I'm flying Allegiant, I generally find myself using GFK.  It's been 7 years since I took a Delta flight out of there.  It is just too cost prohibitive.  I'd rather use GFK whenever possible, just because I am a "Grand Forks Guy".  

I don't know much of anything about the inner workings of airlines or airport operations, but thinking outside the box, would GFK be better served if American or United were the "main" service provider for GFK with flight connections in Chicago?  And then replace the Delta flights to MSP with one or two daily flights by a "boutique" carrier? Thinking something like the service that Denver Air Connection provides between Thief River Falls and MSP.  Would that satisfy the travel needs of area businesses that need to get employees to and from the Twin Cities regularly?

In my opinion, it is unlikely that GFK can support a second major airline with a western route like the article suggests.  That has been tried and failed multiple times I believe.  Just curious what others with more insight on the industry thinks. 

I do grow tired of the annual "Use it or lose it" warning that this committee seems to issue via the Herald every year.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

They're not wrong. 

I do understand that.  And like I said, I try to use GFK when the flights are competitive.  As mostly a leisure traveler, who lives on the fringe of the "catchment area" for both GFK and FAR, I personally am willing to pay modestly more to use GFK simply because I prefer most ANYTHING in GF over Fargo.  But not 50-70% more. which is often the case when perusing the options offered by Delta out of GFK.

I don't blame any business for sending their employees an hour south to FAR when you consider the cost savings.  

The 40% drop in passenger traffic at GFK in 10 years is jarring.  

• Upvote 1

Get another carrier with similar flight destinations and delta will decrease their price 

minot has more flights and Bismarck is only 30 miles further than from GF to Fargo 

williston has more carriers than grand forks, partly because of oil 

50 minutes ago, Kab said:

Get another carrier with similar flight destinations and delta will decrease their price 

minot has more flights and Bismarck is only 30 miles further than from GF to Fargo 

williston has more carriers than grand forks, partly because of oil 

Does our airport guy even try

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Does our airport guy even try

I called them once 0n an issue with Allegiant cutting flights and talked to an assistant and got no where, I also asked them to get a carrier to Denver also

Devils Lake and Jamestown have Denver flights 

May be a Denver flight that stops in Rapid City on the way, not all flights are non stop 

years ago the minot flight to Denver stopped in Bismarck on the way 

seems like Williston and Minot have better people running their airports 

• Like 2

In my opinion the biggest problem at the GF airport is the absolutely brutal schedule Delta has in order to make any connection in Minneapolis.  It seems like you must take the 5:00 AM flight which means getting up at 3-3:30 AM - a hell of a way to start a business trip or vacation.  People who live outside of the GF area must get up earlier.  For some of us that means only 3-4 hours of fitful sleep.  And by far the most common return time is around midnight.  A western hub would also be useful.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Irish said:

In my opinion the biggest problem at the GF airport is the absolutely brutal schedule Delta has in order to make any connection in Minneapolis.  It seems like you must take the 5:00 AM flight which means getting up at 3-3:30 AM - a hell of a way to start a business trip or vacation.  People who live outside of the GF area must get up earlier.  For some of us that means only 3-4 hours of fitful sleep.  And by far the most common return time is around midnight.  A western hub would also be useful.

Agreed the flight times are the worst thing holding gf back

wondrr if we have even asked delta to change

6 hours ago, gfhockey said:

Agreed the flight times are the worst thing holding gf back

wondrr if we have even asked delta to change

The way I see it, GFK is Delta's bitch.  Pre-COVID, 5 daily flights, with semi-convenient connections.  Post-COVID, down to 3 flights - on marginally larger aircraft - and generally piss-poor connections.  The only real beneficiaries are those with status, because all flights now have 3 classes of service given the larger planes.  No competition, and no signs that it's going to get better. 

• Upvote 2

ND airports with flights to Denver:

Fargo

Bismarck

Minot

Dickinson

Williston

Devils Lake 

Jamestown

The city in ND that does not have a flight to Denver:

Grand Forks,

which ironically is a leader in all things aviation with the top aviation school in the country, an Air Force base, and is becoming the leader in drone technology.

Sad really…

Figure it out and earn my business…if Devils Lake and Jamestown can do it so can GF. Until then, I will choose the best option based on expense and ease of travel.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ksixpack said:

ND airports with flights to Denver:

Fargo

Bismarck

Minot

Dickinson

Williston

Devils Lake 

Jamestown

The city in ND that does not have a flight to Denver:

Grand Forks,

which ironically is a leader in all things aviation with the top aviation school in the country, an Air Force base, and is becoming the leader in drone technology.

Sad really…

Figure it out and earn my business…if Devils Lake and Jamestown can do it so can GF. Until then, I will choose the best option based on expense and ease of travel.

Jamestown and Devils Lake have ambitious directors and tourism officials

• Like 2