SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews with Canada

siouxhockey5

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on his play at Worlds, Toews ready for the NHL

The Blackhawks are confident that Jonathan Toews will leave the University of North Dakota and sign a contract with them sometime before the start of training camp.

As the third pick in the 2006 draft, Towes is one of the top prospects outside the NHL. While Hawks general manager Dale Tallon and several scouts have hailed Toews

Just finished watching Canada play Belarus, and Toews was solid again with a goal and an assist in a 6-3 Canada win. Commodore had an assist as well. Of course the pro-Russian referee did his best to keep his Russian league players from Belarus in the game by conveniently providing them four 5 on 3 PPs and let half of their infractions go. Oh well what are you going to do when the tournament is in Russia. It was just like the Sioux having to play in Gopher land with their favorite referee calling the game. :silly:

Maybe no logical argument to you, but JT may have different priorities. I don't think he is motivated only by the $$$. Have you ever thought it might be important to him to come back to win a national title, or win his third world junior gold (or both :silly: ). I think this group of players are very close, and I think that is why he hasn't signed his pro contract already. I'm not saying he is back in a Sioux jersey for sure, but if he had already made up his mind, I think we would already know. It is very obvioius he is ready for the next level, he can compete with the best right now, at barely 19, but he may feel he has some unfinished business before he moves on. Let's hope we see the DOT line for one more season, and we can have another legit contender for "best Sioux line ever" :ohmy: Go Sioux!

Maybe no logical argument to you, but JT may have different priorities. I don't think he is motivated only by the $$$. Have you ever thought it might be important to him to come back to win a national title, or win his third world junior gold (or both :silly: ). I think this group of players are very close, and I think that is why he hasn't signed his pro contract already. I'm not saying he is back in a Sioux jersey for sure, but if he had already made up his mind, I think we would already know. It is very obvioius he is ready for the next level, he can compete with the best right now, at barely 19, but he may feel he has some unfinished business before he moves on. Let's hope we see the DOT line for one more season, and we can have another legit contender for "best Sioux line ever" :ohmy: Go Sioux!

Toews will not stay at UND because he can't play in the NHL, I think we all agree on that. However, coming back to UND also won't hinder his development. I think what gets lost in all of this is that he just turned 19. He has an amazing future regardless of where he plays. We were very fortunate to see him for two years and I hope the experience was good for him as well. Toews has already added to the tradition that is UND hockey. Wow 1 more year would be amazing...

Did anyone ever stop and think that an education might be important to him as well. I understand that hockey and winning national titles and making the money is great but maybe he is one of the smart athletes that wants a back up plan in case he were to ever, god forbid, have to stop playing.

Did anyone ever stop and think that an education might be important to him as well. I understand that hockey and winning national titles and making the money is great but maybe he is one of the smart athletes that wants a back up plan in case he were to ever, god forbid, have to stop playing.

The thought of the DOT line intact next year would be amazing. With another year of strenth training, that line would have a chance to be one of the best ever. I still think it is unlikely he is back.....but there is a chance.

It's so hard to argue that he should come back next year with his success in this tournament. It's almost depressing because there's no logical argument for him to stay.

Might be my own wishful thinking, but there are several logical arguments:

-Reuniting with his teammates for another season. (There's clearly a special bond with these guys)

-Getting an education

-Being part of a banner in REA (No player on the current roster has won anything but a playoff title yet)

-Having one more shot at a national championship (Something to prove)

-Winning a 3rd gold medal at the Worlds Jrs. (I doubt Chicago would let him go if he signs)

-Perhaps most importantly, proving to himself and others he can dominate at the college level. (I'm not sure he's accomplished this yet)

I sure wish him well if he decides to move on but in his mind, he may have unfinished business at UND.......

My guess is the reason we haven't seen a decision yet from Toews is that he could be waiting for Chicago to offer the max (or make their final offer). If the final offer isn't the max, he'll be back. If Chicago offers the max, Toews will leave. Until Chicago comes to a decision on what the final offer will be, the fans will be left in limbo and currently they are in no hurry to make any final offers since it's too early in the process. Both sides, I'm guessing, are trying to feel each other out in their negotiations at this time.

The ultimate deciding factor won't be whether he wants another year of education, wants to be with his friends and teammates for another year, wants to improve his skills for another year, etc. Instead, it will come down to money.

The same can be said for Gologoski with the Penguins and Okposo with the Islanders. Once they offer what each feels he should get, he'll leave...otherwise he will be back.

All three feel they can play in the NHL so that's not an issue. None of the three are going to settle on an amount lower than they feel they are worth. Rather, they would come back to college and increase their bargaining position next year with another good college year.

Might be my own wishful thinking, but there are several logical arguments:

-Reuniting with his teammates for another season. (There's clearly a special bond with these guys)

-Getting an education

-Being part of a banner in REA (No player on the current roster has won anything but a playoff title yet)

-Having one more shot at a national championship (Something to prove)

-Winning a 3rd gold medal at the Worlds Jrs. (I doubt Chicago would let him go if he signs)

-Perhaps most importantly, proving to himself and others he can dominate at the college level. (I'm not sure he's accomplished this yet)

I sure wish him well if he decides to move on but in his mind, he may have unfinished business at UND.......

this is my opinion, and i have heard it from others too, but i think that if you are a blue chip prospect like a toews, especially with the career that has almost become expected of him in the NHL, that you absolutely should dominate at each level before you move up. he has done this at every level he's been at, except college....he's been very very good and we've seen plenty of the great moves, but he hasn't even led his own team in scoring yet, much less the league or level....one more year to prove himself to himself and off to the NHL to make his millions and hopefully dominate that league too!!

My guess is the reason we haven't seen a decision yet from Toews is that he could be waiting for Chicago to offer the max (or make their final offer). If the final offer isn't the max, he'll be back. If Chicago offers the max, Toews will leave. Until Chicago comes to a decision on what the final offer will be, the fans will be left in limbo and currently they are in no hurry to make any final offers since it's too early in the process. Both sides, I'm guessing, are trying to feel each other out in their negotiations at this time.

The ultimate deciding factor won't be whether he wants another year of education, wants to be with his friends and teammates for another year, wants to improve his skills for another year, etc. Instead, it will come down to money.

The same can be said for Gologoski with the Penguins and Okposo with the Islanders. Once they offer what each feels he should get, he'll leave...otherwise he will be back.

All three feel they can play in the NHL so that's not an issue. None of the three are going to settle on an amount lower than they feel they are worth. Rather, they would come back to college and increase their bargaining position next year with another good college year.

I doubt that there is a whole lot of contract talks while he's playing in the World's. It was a surprise that he made the team and I'd image it is a surprise that he is doing so well. I see no way that the Blackhawks don't offer the max. He is the third overall and developing well. I can't see them offering 750K opposed to the 850K. It would make no sense. Prior to this tourny I was optimistic about his return, but by all appearances he is more than ready for the next level. He could lead TEAM CANADA in points for the tourny. Canada's leading point scorer on a team of professionals does not go back to school.

I don't think money is the issue b/c as the number 3 pick in the draft the blackhawks know that he will not expect anything but a max contract, and offering anything less is laughable. In this day and age of the NHL there is not a lot to negotiate. We all know that the max signing bonus is capped at $85K, a $850,000 max base salary with attainable bonuses that could get him to $2-2.5mill. IMO, if the Blackhawks are not offering exactly what St. Louis offered EJ than Toews may be doing what MFJJ did and hold out in college for a trade, or wait until he's a FA next summer.

My guess is that the max is, and has been on the table for over a year now and Toews is still decieding what is best for him. If he continues to play well at the WC and then spurs the Hawks for another run at the WJC (he'd be the captain) JT will have Canadian endorsers throwing crazy money at him.

It's crazy, but could happen.

IMO, the reason why he would stay is because the blackhawks SUCK. if its about money, it would be about incentives, not getting max salary. i think there is a chance he might pull a JJ and get traded. i think that all the reasons to stay at und are pulling too. it will be interesting to see what happens. I also want to see what happens with schneider at BC and KO and AG at minny. i could see BC being the biggest threat to UND winning 8, no matter what toews does.

IMO, the reason why he would stay is because the blackhawks SUCK. if its about money, it would be about incentives, not getting max salary. i think there is a chance he might pull a JJ and get traded. i think that all the reasons to stay at und are pulling too. it will be interesting to see what happens. I also want to see what happens with schneider at BC and KO and AG at minny. i could see BC being the biggest threat to UND winning 8, no matter what toews does.

With NJ needing cap space and scoring depth, I thought the trade idea I had that would send Toews to NJ in a package deal for Elias would be great! Of course, it still means Toews wouldn't be returning to UND, but at least he'd be jumping to go to a team that's worth a damn.

With NJ needing cap space and scoring depth, I thought the trade idea I had that would send Toews to NJ in a package deal for Elias would be great! Of course, it still means Toews wouldn't be returning to UND, but at least he'd be jumping to go to a team that's worth a damn.

We have already seen your trade possibility brought up....it is not going to happen.

We have already seen your trade possibility brought up....it is not going to happen.

I don't think so. What would a re-building Chicago want with a guy 10 years older that they would have to pay about 5X more for?

I was in Chicago the past few days for a conference and happened to enter the Hawk Quarters on Michigan Ave. Thought I would buy my boys some Blackhawks pucks.

I had asked the three guys working there (it wasn't very busy) what their thoughts were on Toews and if he'll end up with the team this year.

They all thought that he was one awesome player ("My God, look what he's doing for Canada this week!") and they state that the fans and team (from the fans pov) they want and need him ASAP. I stated that as a UND fan I'm hoping that he might stay for at least another year. I couldn't get my reasons out before they all stated how stupid that would be for him to do that, the Blackhwaks wouldn't let him do that, why play at the college level anymore... There didn't seem to be much of an opportunity to discuss it...

It's not a suprising response from 'Hawks fans but I found their immediate and reactive response to my question interesting. I can understand their thoughts and wishes. They didn't seem to understand mine... go figure... :silly:

I was in Chicago the past few days for a conference and happened to enter the Hawk Quarters on Michigan Ave. Thought I would buy my boys some Blackhawks pucks.

I had asked the three guys working there (it wasn't very busy) what their thoughts were on Toews and if he'll end up with the team this year.

They all thought that he was one awesome player ("My God, look what he's doing for Canada this week!") and they state that the fans and team (from the fans pov) they want and need him ASAP. I stated that as a UND fan I'm hoping that he might stay for at least another year. I couldn't get my reasons out before they all stated how stupid that would be for him to do that, the Blackhwaks wouldn't let him do that, why play at the college level anymore... There didn't seem to be much of an opportunity to discuss it...

It's not a suprising response from 'Hawks fans but I found their immediate and reactive response to my question interesting. I can understand their thoughts and wishes. They didn't seem to understand mine... go figure... :silly:

easy to figure this out, chicago sucks, sucks very bad right now and have the last few years. he has shown he will end up a top nhl player someday very soon. they want a reason for hope. cant blame them :ohmy:

There was alot of discussion regarding Toews and his future on TSN yesterday. Some of the analysts wondered if Dale Tallon is offering Toews all of the contract incentives he clearly deserves.

At the end of the discussion MacKenzie blew all of the other analysts away by declaring that within several years Toews will be the most "complete player" in the NHL. Another analyst asked him better than Crosby, his answer was yes with the emphasis being on the "complete" as in his opinion he has never seen such a young player who is so good at all aspects of the game.

In this day and age of the NHL there is not a lot to negotiate. We all know that the max signing bonus is capped at $85K, a $850,000 max base salary with attainable bonuses that could get him to $2-2.5mill.

That is what Kessel got as well so you'd expect Toews to get about the same.