SiouxSports.com Forum

Where are you from?

luapsided

Nooooooo kidding? The reason I asked that is all of the Local Twin city TV News Shows stated that the Gophers would only play the Sioux in Men's and Women's hockey. It is pretty obvious that hockey is the only D-1 sport at UND at this time. However the Sioux football team may be able to beat the Gopher's football team.

Swimming and Diving usually goes down to the National Aquatic Center on the Campus of UMtc walks out after stunning the Big Ten swim teams.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, good memories. I actually was born in Mississippi, a poor white child, moved to France for five years, Orlando for two years while dad went to Vietnam, England for three years, first tour in Grand Forks started in July 1970 where I attended games at the Barn, moved to Tampa in 1972 and back to GF in late 1974. Graduated from Red River, UND from 1976-1980 and watched Jofa17 and friends play some great hockey and I managed to graduate. UND Law School until 1983 and saw the team win a couple of championships. Sisseton for a bit, Ft. Yates for a bit, got married to a Central/UND grad who decided to go to U of Washington in Seattle for another degree. Milwaukee in 1986, Jackson, Mississippi from 95-98 where we helped get a local UND Alumni group going and travelled to Milwaukee for the 97 Championship. Moved back to Milwaukee in 98 where we do all we can to support Sioux hockey, including going to Madison every year, Mankato and Houghton to catch live game action. I've been to games in all three buildings. I think I could talk my wife into going back to ND, but our daughter will be attending UND next fall and she would prefer that we stay in Wisconsin. I'm not sure why, I barely recall those days.

WOW!!!! You need to write a book. Man I bet you have some stories to tell.

Born and raised in Bottineau, ND (I did leave for 10 years to find out that rural ND is god's country.)

Bottineau? Willow City!!! (Bottineau suburb). 87 Graduate of UND!

After Minneapolis and Bismarck, now in St Louis, future home of TJ Oshie (thank god!!) and hoping for a frozen four appearance.

Hey, if they do, everyone do the tour at the A-B brewery as a pre-game!!!

Sioux RULE!!!!!

Bottineau? Willow City!!! (Bottineau suburb). 87 Graduate of UND!

Nice to see all the folks from the beautiful Bottineau area!

Willow City? How about a suburb of that: Omemee. So small, it doesn't even exist anymore! I went to school in Bottineau, though. Spent a major portion of my youth in the good old Lumberdome. 97 Graduate of UND, now in Fargo...

Thanks for posting that link. Lots of cool places in my home state. Hopefully there won't be too many additions to this in the coming years.

As for the topic... grew up in "town" in Tolna, ND, 80 miles west of Grand Forks. Attended UND from 90 to 94, leaving to work on the railroad. Returned to the area in August of 97 and received degree from UofM - Crookston in 1999. Now living in resorty Park Rapids.

Nice to see all the folks from the beautiful Bottineau area!

Willow City? How about a suburb of that: Omemee. So small, it doesn't even exist anymore! I went to school in Bottineau, though. Spent a major portion of my youth in the good old Lumberdome. 97 Graduate of UND, now in Fargo...

Sioux sports have a connection to Omemee. Jim Dew was from there and played linebacker for the Sioux in the early 70s. Had a couple of brothers, one of whom went to Harvard.

The Lumberdome has both history and character. There is something about a wood rink that is as special as it is rare these days.

Born near Valley Forge, PA. Became a huge hockey fan when the Flyers came into existance in 68. Moved to Denver in 78 then near Lexington, KY for 4 years ending up in FL, Orlando area, where I still reside. Have Lightning season tickets and go back to Philly once or twice a season for games there.

I became a Sioux fan in 97. Met a fellow Flyers fan from ND in 00 which resulted in a visit to GF in 05 for the WJC. I love and miss cold and snow so it was a nice visit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello cujo2,

After following Rutgers for thirty years, I gave up on us starting an NCAA Division 1 hockey program. I didn't want to root for a sports factory( I always cheer for the underdog). That eliminated Notre Dame,Michigan, Ohio State,etc. After going on a lot of Hockey East,CCHA, and WCHA web sites, I narrowed it down to Maine and North Dakota. For some crazy reason, I thought it would be a little different following a team from a state all the way across the country and I like the team name,logo, and colors. AFTER I picked them, I found out about the seven National Championships. Once I joined siouxsports.com, I was contacted by several people who have been kind enough to send me Sioux books and game tapes and many other items. One woman who is a big fan even sent me a Tim Skarperud jersey. Even though I do not have a long history with the state or university, I will always be a fan of the North Dakota teams. The gestures of these North Dakotans came at the worst time in my life and were totally unexpected. It is great to know there are still people doing such kind things without demanding something in return--sometimes I think our society has forgotten that this used to be common.

GO NORTH DAKOTA!

GO RUTGERS!

Lansford, ND. It is by Minot in the boonies. And at the moment Grand Forks, for college.

So, if you are in college now, and Lansford hasn't had a school for almost 15 years, did you graduate from Mohall? I graduated from Kenmare, went to UND, moved to CA for a year, and now I reside in Fargo.

So, if you are in college now, and Lansford hasn't had a school for almost 15 years, did you graduate from Mohall? I graduated from Kenmare, went to UND, moved to CA for a year, and now I reside in Fargo.

Lansford hasn't had a high school in 15 yrs, the elementary just closed two years ago. I went to elementary there and then I had the option of either Mohall or Glenburn and I went to Glenburn. so nope not from Mohall though I have a lot of friends from there.

Graduated from East Grand Forks, lived in Grand Forks until 1989, attended UND in the late 70's, and currently live about 30 miles west of Baltimore (roughly the same north of D.C.). Graduated from the University of Maryland (University College).

Lansford hasn't had a high school in 15 yrs, the elementary just closed two years ago. I went to elementary there and then I had the option of either Mohall or Glenburn and I went to Glenburn. so nope not from Mohall though I have a lot of friends from there.

My son's dad is from Lansford. His parents owned the white house on two lots on the corner across the street from the elementary school. I can't remember their last name but my son had a 'buddy' named Chase who lived near by. Phats spend a week or two in Lansford almost every summer when he was a little guy with the Grandparents and they still lived in Lansford. They moved to Minot years ago. His great-grand mother lived in Tolley (sp).

My son's dad is from Lansford. His parents owned the white house on two lots on the corner across the street from the elementary school. I can't remember their last name but my son had a 'buddy' named Chase who lived near by. Phats spend a week or two in Lansford almost every summer when he was a little guy with the Grandparents and they still lived in Lansford. They moved to Minot years ago. His great-grand mother lived in Tolley (sp).

Chase Abernathy? who are the grandparents?

Hello cujo2,

After following Rutgers for thirty years, I gave up on us starting an NCAA Division 1 hockey program. I didn't want to root for a sports factory( I always cheer for the underdog). That eliminated Notre Dame,Michigan, Ohio State,etc. After going on a lot of Hockey East,CCHA, and WCHA web sites, I narrowed it down to Maine and North Dakota. For some crazy reason, I thought it would be a little different following a team from a state all the way across the country and I like the team name,logo, and colors. AFTER I picked them, I found out about the seven National Championships. Once I joined siouxsports.com, I was contacted by several people who have been kind enough to send me Sioux books and game tapes and many other items. One woman who is a big fan even sent me a Tim Skarperud jersey. Even though I do not have a long history with the state or university, I will always be a fan of the North Dakota teams. The gestures of these North Dakotans came at the worst time in my life and were totally unexpected. It is great to know there are still people doing such kind things without demanding something in return--sometimes I think our society has forgotten that this used to be common.

GO NORTH DAKOTA!

GO RUTGERS!

Um... I'm glad you're a fan and all... but the Sioux are not the underdog by any means. They're considered one of the elite programs in the country. However, I enjoyed seeing your process of how you found this team!

ok, hang on!

Born in Hazen, ND, lived in Zap, Stanton, and Beulah (graduated from high school in 1969), Dickinson State College (1969-1971) USAF 1971-1975 (stationed at Lackland AFB, Lowry AFB, Minot AFB, and RAF Lakenheath, England), at UND 1975-1978 (worked at Frenchy's), Fergus Falls, MN 1978-1979, Crookston, MN 1979-1982, and back to Fergus Falls in late 1982 and been there since. Did not miss a home UND hockey, basketball, or football game while at UND. Have had season hockey tickets since the new Ralph opened. Always appreciate a tailgate party, right Sioux-cia? GO SIOUX!!!!!