SiouxSports.com Forum

Where are you from?

luapsided

Most of my growing up was in Milbank SD. Learned to love watching hockey with Sodak Sioux Fan in his dad's electronics workshop. Dinky tv, drinking Miller ponies every time the North Stars would score in the playoffs. What fun!

Left for Fergus Falls for a couple of years, then to UND just on time to learn about college hockey and the Hrkac Circus. There's a reason 87 is the number on the back of my game jersey (graduation + championship).

Now, I'm embedded firmly in the "Maroon Zone" in Gopherdad.

Hey! That dinky TV was probably better than our regular TV (I did not know you two drank ponies in there! Did my dad? :) ). Our regular TV had a chip in it, so whenever I watched hockey on it, I'd always lose the puck, thinking it was the puck! The '81 North Star cup run was what got me big into watching hockey....before that, I only played it.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grew up within a block of the Lumberdome, playing a mediocre-to-bad game of hockey as a kid in little wheat-towns like Boissevain, Deloraine, Waskada, Killarney and others. Wonderful memories of the places and the people. (Cup-a-soup, Canadian moms serving sloppy joes, taffy, old wood rinks with that distinctive cold-air smell). Graduated UND in '75 and '92, living my adult life in places like Joplin Mo, S.F. bay area (LaHonda), Owatonna, Mn, and Wisconsin. I only wish the 'net had been around a little earlier so that I'd been able to follow college hockey better while living in hockey-starved places. Living in SF in the early eighties, I would have been thrilled to have been able to sit in fron of my computer and watch or listen to Sioux hockey whenever I wished.

Here We Go:

Grew up in Minot (MHS '74). Was in Grand Forks late 70's and early 80's. Best UND memories:

Helped to bring back the UND Feathers for a few glorious years.Basketball was king before Gino arrived to turn the hockey program around, and the SU games were unreal for atmosphere. Helped to start a big halftime melee with a bunch of smelly Bison fans on the court at one game. Walked the wall at Memorial Stadium leading cheers at many football games and got to know Pete Coe at Campus Security very well.

Got hooked on hockey when the aforementioned Mr. Gasparini took over. Was at the Sioux-Badger pre- game brawl in GF and over the years have made a lot of lifelong friends through hockey, especially with Badger fans. I used to tend bar at the Antique, but when I turned 21, came back over the border to GF to sling drinks at the Fabulous Westward Ho in the Gaslight and the Peanut Bar.

Been managing bars and hotels since I left GF - starting in Bismarck, Twin Cities, Deadwood, Bismarck, Rochester, Hibbing, Bismarck, Willmar (sucks), and have been in Marquette, MI for this century. Wear Sioux apparel to all NMU games. If you're ever up here, look for Michigan license plates "NDSIOUX".

Born and raised in Grand Forks. Have lived in Colorado since 1991 but get back to GF regularly for Sioux series as well as see them when they travel to CC and DU. I graduated from CC but my friends from school can tell you that I'm 100% Sioux. I was a student during those rough years at the tail end of Gasperini's tenure. I recall seeing the Sioux get spanked by CC at the Air Force Academy prior to the building of the World Arena. I took a LOT of hazing from my CC friends in those days.

This is more fun today than thinking about tonights game . :)

I remember the night of my conception. Went to a party with my dad and came home with my mom.

Grew up all over ND - Carrington (on top of the old Busy Bee store), McHenry, Starkweather, Maddock, and finally Kindred. It was a great way to grow up. (Not much to visit, but great for growing up.) UND 77-81, and Rodentland ever since.

Oh - and Jofa17 was one of our favorite players in the Farce - worked his aff off every shift.

Grew up in northwestern New Jersey near the Appalachian Trail,ski areas, and Delaware Water Gap. I spent about four years down South in South Carolina(the fans there live and die Clemson and South Carolina football) and Virginia. Moved back to be near family and currently live at the New Jersey Shore a few miles from the Atlantic. I was in the North Dakota vicinity once--Dayton,Ohio :)

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

This is more fun today than thinking about tonights game . :silly:

I remember the night of my conception. Went to a party with my dad and came home with my mom.

Grew up all over ND - Carrington (on top of the old Busy Bee store), McHenry, Starkweather, Maddock, and finally Kindred. It was a great way to grow up. (Not much to visit, but great for growing up.) UND 77-81, and Rodentland ever since.

Oh - and Jofa17 was one of our favorite players in the Farce - worked his aff off every shift.

:silly: I didn't even realize there were others from my tiny town!

Grew up within a block of the Lumberdome, playing a mediocre-to-bad game of hockey as a kid in little wheat-towns like Boissevain, Deloraine, Waskada, Killarney and others. Wonderful memories of the places and the people. (Cup-a-soup, Canadian moms serving sloppy joes, taffy, old wood rinks with that distinctive cold-air smell). Graduated UND in '75 and '92, living my adult life in places like Joplin Mo, S.F. bay area (LaHonda), Owatonna, Mn, and Wisconsin. I only wish the 'net had been around a little earlier so that I'd been able to follow college hockey better while living in hockey-starved places. Living in SF in the early eighties, I would have been thrilled to have been able to sit in fron of my computer and watch or listen to Sioux hockey whenever I wished.

Did you ever eat at Winkies in Kilarney? Or have a beer at the Border Bar between St. John and Kilarney? Oh yeah, the winter of '75-'76 was a long one...

Did you ever eat at Winkies in Kilarney? Or have a beer at the Border Bar between St. John and Kilarney? Oh yeah, the winter of '75-'76 was a long one...

Nope. Our watering holes on that side were usually in Boissevain or a little town called Goodlands at the next port West.

Grew up in northwestern New Jersey near the Appalachian Trail,ski areas, and Delaware Water Gap. I spent about four years down South in South Carolina(the fans there live and die Clemson and South Carolina football) and Virginia. Moved back to be near family and currently live at the New Jersey Shore a few miles from the Atlantic. I was in the North Dakota vicinity once--Dayton,Ohio :lol:

GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

GO SCARLET KNIGHTS!

Did you attend UND? From the sounds of it you are from the east coast and then lived in the Carolina's so if you didn't attend UND how in the world did you end up following sioux athletics?:lol:

Very glad to see the reponses so far! Now the tough part is to go back through the 100 pages to remember where everyone is from! :lol:

Born and raised in Grand Forks. Played with hockey at Elks Park growing up with a few former Sioux and Denver Pioneers players and coached at Elks Park as well. Two of the kids I coached played for the Sioux on the 2000 Championship Team. I now live in the Twin Cites.

What is the deal with the Gophers will only play the SIOUX in hockey?

Born and raised in Grand Forks. Played with hockey at Elks Park growing up with a few former Sioux and Denver Pioneers players and coached at Elks Park as well. Two of the kids I coached played for the Sioux on the 2000 Championship Team. I now live in the Twin Cites.

What is the deal with the Gophers will only play the SIOUX in hockey?

uhhhh, the sioux have only been division 1 in hockey so thats why. are you serious? its very rare for d-1 schools to ply d-2 schools in sports as it doesnt do a damn thing for a d-1 school to beat up on a d-2 schools. unless its a very special ocasion. in the near future they will play as the sioux will be going division 1 in all sports....

uhhhh, the sioux have only been division 1 in hockey so thats why. are you serious? its very rare for d-1 schools to ply d-2 schools in sports as it doesnt do a damn thing for a d-1 school to beat up on a d-2 schools. unless its a very special ocasion. in the near future they will play as the sioux will be going division 1 in all sports....

You must not have heard the news. UMTC administration passed a rule about 3 years ago saying they would not compete against school with Native names or mascots unless it was in league competition or some other contractual situation they could not get out of. It has not been strictly enforced until recently. Several of our coaches were discussing competition with them in the future and they were recently told that it would not happen. They will only play UND in men's and women's hockey.

The kicker is that they have recently scheduled some kind of a competition with Central Michigan in spite of their nickname. The UMTC AD said it was okay because CMU had gotten the clearance from the NC$$ to use the name. Here is the story from the Grand Forks Herald.

Nooooooo kidding? The reason I asked that is all of the Local Twin city TV News Shows stated that the Gophers would only play the Sioux in Men's and Women's hockey. It is pretty obvious that hockey is the only D-1 sport at UND at this time. However the Sioux football team may be able to beat the Gopher's football team.

Wow, good memories. I actually was born in Mississippi, a poor white child, moved to France for five years, Orlando for two years while dad went to Vietnam, England for three years, first tour in Grand Forks started in July 1970 where I attended games at the Barn, moved to Tampa in 1972 and back to GF in late 1974. Graduated from Red River, UND from 1976-1980 and watched Jofa17 and friends play some great hockey and I managed to graduate. UND Law School until 1983 and saw the team win a couple of championships. Sisseton for a bit, Ft. Yates for a bit, got married to a Central/UND grad who decided to go to U of Washington in Seattle for another degree. Milwaukee in 1986, Jackson, Mississippi from 95-98 where we helped get a local UND Alumni group going and travelled to Milwaukee for the 97 Championship. Moved back to Milwaukee in 98 where we do all we can to support Sioux hockey, including going to Madison every year, Mankato and Houghton to catch live game action. I've been to games in all three buildings. I think I could talk my wife into going back to ND, but our daughter will be attending UND next fall and she would prefer that we stay in Wisconsin. I'm not sure why, I barely recall those days.