SiouxSports.com Forum

Where are you from?

luapsided

Grew up an hour WNW of Chicago in Rockford, IL. Left the state to go to the U. of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. Finished my BS (2004) and MS (2006) in meteorology, and now I'm in Grand Forks working on my PhD in atmospheric science. I should be here at least another 3-4 years. From there? Who knows. I'm partial to the midwest because of the people and the storms. Don't care too much for the coasts :glare:

Aaron

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grew up in ND. UND Undergrad. Old enough to have gone to games in the Winter Ice Arena. Now live in that hotbed of hockey and home of satan, Indianapolis. Son went to UND for 2 years but ultimately graduated from Colorado U. Daughters graduated from Purdue, Butler, and IU.

Long time caller, first time listener!

I was born in Dickinson in 1970 and was raised on a ranch about 20 miles north of Belfield. My parents still run the ranch (celebrated 100 years this past July) and my sister and her husband are in the process of taking it over in a year or two (I have another sister who attended NDSU and now lives in Plymouth, MN). Moved to GF and attended college from 1988-1992 and have been in Minneapolis/St Paul ever since graduating.

Very interesting thread. And since I'm bored you are going to get more info than you need.

Lessee, born in Fargo, moved to North Hollywood as an toddler, moved back to Fargo, moved to Park River for a year, moved back to Fargo for a summer than moved to Grand Forks for the 6th grade all the way to graduation from Red River. Joined the Navy and moved to Cali and lived there ever since. My family still lives in Grand forks and I visit when I can.

Both of my brothers attended UND, I, however, am now attending CSULB on the 20 year bachelor degree plan.

Interesting (and somewhat disgusting) tidbit, at my last Sioux hockey game at the Ralph, I had the stomach flu and "booted" in the hallway on the marble floor, I couldn't quite make it to the garbage can, let alone the bathroom. I apologise for the mess. In honor of said "acheivement", my friends in GFK are making me a shirt stating, "I ralphed at the Ralph".

Long time caller, first time listener!

I was born in Dickinson in 1970 and was raised on a ranch about 20 miles north of Belfield. My parents still run the ranch (celebrated 100 years this past July) and my sister and her husband are in the process of taking it over in a year or two (I have another sister who attended NDSU and now lives in Plymouth, MN). Moved to GF and attended college from 1988-1992 and have been in Minneapolis/St Paul ever since graduating.

Throw out the ranch....Dickinson....Belfield....NDSU....Plymouth, MN... Our stories are similar in years attended that is! :glare:

within sight of REA

I can see it from here too. :glare: Just commented to someone about how beautiful the view is in the morning.

I'm from ND, I grew up in ND, attended high school in ND, went to UND- class of '96. Moved to the "banana belt" of ND for about 6 months, moved back to eastern ND after that. Now I live approximately 20 min. west of Mayville.

Yeah, I revealed a lot, but I feel like being a pain today.

WOOOOO it's hockey night tonight.

Well here's my two cents on this post. First of all i'm from Tampa Fl & in Sept of 1973 until April of 1975 I was station at GFAFB from there i was station in England until I left the service. Anyway I got my first taste of watching hockey of any sorts at a UND game in 1973. Hey I didn't know what hockey was after all i'm from the south and the only three sports are football & spring football & NASCAR. I graduated from the University of Florida & i'm a proud GATOR. Remember once a GATOR always a GATOR. I have been a FIGHTING SIOUX HOCKEY FAN SINCE 1973 & I will always be that hockey fan. After all they say that life begins at birth & that's a given, but my adult life began at Grand Forks & Grand Forks & UND have a very special place in my heart & they will always have a very special place in my heart. So in closing "GO SIOUX."

SIOUX FAN SINCE 1973.

P.S. GO GATORS on Jan 8. Chomp on Ohio State.

I feel like taking a step back from hockey for a second, and I'm bored :glare: Many people on here obviously are from far away places, and come here in order to keep tally on the sioux, make a statement/arguement, or just straight up b.s. I guess I am curious where everyone is from? Did you once live here? Or any other info you care to share 8o)

I myself, born and raised here in sioux country. Grand Forks, older super senior at UND ???

Living in Valdosta, Georgia, which is only about 20 miles north of the Florida border. I'm from Minot, and spent 6 years in Grand Forks at UND.

went to UND- class of '96.

I was a third-year undergraduate in 1996. The year before the big flood. The year before our program regained it's status as a national power. As a student, I was able to watch the resurrection of a fallen College Hockey dynasty. In the OLD Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Great memories. :D

Let's see ...

Born in Jamestown, and was raised in GF and Fargo. Went to Fargo South. Went into the army, spent time at Fort Lewis WA, Central America ("advising and training") and later W. Germany before getting out. Went to UND and graduated in '92. Got my law degree from UND in '95, and moved to MSP. Moved to SW Indiana about 3 years ago, and often spend time out west or in NYC for work. May be looking at another job in either Mpls or Denver in the next few months. Miss hockey, the wide open skies and the pheasant hunting found up north.

I can see it from here too. :D Just commented to someone about how beautiful the view is in the morning.

I'm from ND, I grew up in ND, attended high school in ND, went to UND- class of '96. Moved to the "banana belt" of ND for about 6 months, moved back to eastern ND after that. Now I live approximately 20 min. west of Mayville.

Yeah, I revealed a lot, but I feel like being a pain today.

WOOOOO it's hockey night tonight.

I think the REA looks better in December without a whole bunch of snow pilled all around it. Banana Belt in ND? Where is that? LOL

Let's see ...

Went into the army, spent time at Fort Lewis WA, Central America ("advising and training") and later W. Germany before getting out.

Army cool, Where in Germany were you stationed? I was stationed in Stuttgart, Germany home of Patch Barracks and the EUCOM HQ, was on guard duty at the EUCOM comand center the night we bombed Lybia.

That was pretty weird. 0300 in the morning and all the Generals come in. I spent the next half hour at attention. Germany was a trip. The Germans protested at the front gate about once every two months.

Army cool, Where in Germany were you stationed? I was stationed in Stuttgart, Germany home of Patch Barracks and the EUCOM HQ, was on guard duty at the EUCOM comand center the night we bombed Lybia.

That was pretty weird. 0300 in the morning and all the Generals come in. I spent the next half hour at attention. Germany was a trip. The Germans protested at the front gate about once every two months.

I was stationed at Bamberg, about 45 minutes from E Germany and about 30 minutes from "scenic" Czechslavokia with the 1st AD, which was our primary zone in case of war. When I first arrived in Germany they had already cut my orders and I was originally assigned to some nuke weapons (Pershing?) unit. I asked to be sent to a "front line" unit, since I "opposed nuclear weapons on principle" ... but I didn't really want to deal with stupid-ass peaceniks and protesters I knew hung around those places. :D We didn't have protesters ... although it was pretty funny when villagers would have their "volksmarches" right through our AOs during field problems.

I was sent on some problem with some tank guys, and we were pretty much left on our own. We "held up" a beer truck making a run into some no-name village with an M1 Abrams tank to get him to stop on the road so we could buy a few racks of beer. I was the NCOIC ... and I was short. Good times. ???

Protests seem to follow you around.

Let's throw Goon off the ship! Who's with me?

I was stationed at Bamberg, about 45 minutes from E Germany and about 30 minutes from "scenic" Czechslavokia with the 1st AD, which was our primary zone in case of war. When I first arrived in Germany they had already cut my orders and I was originally assigned to some nuke weapons (Pershing?) unit. I asked to be sent to a "front line" unit, since I "opposed nuclear weapons on principle" ... but I didn't really want to deal with stupid-ass peaceniks and protesters I knew hung around those places. :D We didn't have protesters ... although it was pretty funny when villagers would have their "volksmarches" right through our AOs during field problems.

I was sent on some problem with some tank guys, and we were pretty much left on our own. We "held up" a beer truck making a run into some no-name village with an M1 Abrams tank to get him to stop on the road so we could buy a few racks of beer. I was the NCOIC ... and I was short. Good times. ???

Stuttgart was home to the RAF terrorists and a monthly demonstration of some kind. Some of those people were scarey looking. As an MP we guarded the gates and we always had something happening at the front gate keep us busy. Run through were always fun.

As far as the Border goes took a tour of the East German border before I left Germany I can remember getting the riot act about no one figure salutes, and how we were suppose to provoke the east germans. I am like they have a gun I don't.

The Beer story sounds like my first National Guard AT with the Mass guard, we stop at the Class 6 store and park the jeep out front with the M60 machine gun right on top. There I am sitting in the jeep guarding it while my to squad members are in there buying beer in full field gear. Now adays they would court martial you.

Born at the old barn as my Folks were and still are hockey fans. (Actually St Michaels Hospital now the Med School a slapshot away from the Ralph.)

Ok Born in the Barn. Moved on the Winter Sports Arena which was later known as Engelstad Arena. After I got tired of that place I moved over to Ralph Engelstad arena.

UND got tired of me after four years and issued me some kind of paper to get rid of me.

I currently reside and work in the GF area and attend most all of the games.