SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux problems

SIOUXELEVENS

Boy where do I start, scorers aren't scoring,our defense isn't and our Jr. goalie doesn't look very focused or into the game ala Andy Kollar when he became the starter. How does the high powered offense go from 18 shots one period to 4 shots the next? It took almost 8 minutes to get a shot on goal in the second period. This team never seems to play with much emotion or fire,maybe that comes from the coaching staff they never seem to fire up much either. With less then two minutes left in a one goal game you put out Kaip-Fabian-Zajac, they have fours goals between them and Zajac has all four :angry: .The Sioux would seem to have more fire power then that but the staff doesn't seem to use some players properly. Rylan Kaip was a very good penality killer last year and he is hardly used in that role this year(penality killing is almost last in the league this year hmmmm.) This years team has been caught on very poor line changes,weak goals,the second goal last night,odd man rushes and no intensity. If somethings not working fix it, change things up. On another thread someone said this team has poor practice habits, come on Hak thats your area to cover. I'am not calling for anyones head like I have in previous years but dam these guys need to step it up or we will be in the outside looking in for home ice and a NCAA bid. Maybe Berry did things different than Jackson but you still have the same players they just need to find the right combos. Maybe go back to last years combos and see what happens, Lee-Chorney, Radke-Finley and Bina-Jones on Defense and there are lots of options for the foward lines. As far as the Goaltending Phil doesn't look very into the game at times(last nights second goal) maybe Hak needs to sit Phil for a game and let Walski back up Greico who knows. Phils last two years he seemed more athletic and more into the games, we know he has the talent he needs to put the mental edge into it. Rant is over lets start tonight and Go Sioux.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy where do I start, scorers aren't scoring,our defense isn't and our Jr. goalie doesn't look very focused or into the game ala Andy Kollar when he became the starter. How does the high powered offense go from 18 shots one period to 4 shots the next? It took almost 8 minutes to get a shot on goal in the second period. This team never seems to play with much emotion or fire,maybe that comes from the coaching staff they never seem to fire up much either. With less then two minutes left in a one goal game you put out Kaip-Fabian-Zajac, they have fours goals between them and Zajac has all four :angry: .The Sioux would seem to have more fire power then that but the staff doesn't seem to use some players properly. Rylan Kaip was a very good penality killer last year and he is hardly used in that role this year(penality killing is almost last in the league this year hmmmm.) This years team has been caught on very poor line changes,weak goals,the second goal last night,odd man rushes and no intensity. If somethings not working fix it, change things up. On another thread someone said this team has poor practice habits, come on Hak thats your area to cover. I'am not calling for anyones head like I have in previous years but dam these guys need to step it up or we will be in the outside looking in for home ice and a NCAA bid. Maybe Berry did things different than Jackson but you still have the same players they just need to find the right combos. Maybe go back to last years combos and see what happens, Lee-Chorney, Radke-Finley and Bina-Jones on Defense and there are lots of options for the foward lines. As far as the Goaltending Phil doesn't look very into the game at times(last nights second goal) maybe Hak needs to sit Phil for a game and let Walski back up Greico who knows. Phils last two years he seemed more athletic and more into the games, we know he has the talent he needs to put the mental edge into it. Rant is over lets start tonight and Go Sioux.

well. thats too much to read, but ill put my two cents in. i think the team is closer to being good than people think. they keep up on the inconsistancy though, which is the biggest problem i see. i was really annoyed with the defensive plays...i hate having the d men lead the rush. why? because if the puck gets turned over in the offensive zone, it leads to an odd man rush the other way! also, i dont think genoway should be seeing ice time over radke, he makes a number of big mistakes a game(not just this game either). lastly, i think lammy needs to work on his game a little too...there were two shots that he should have gotten last night.

p.s. im optomistic in the team still, given haks track record

3 seniors, and one seldom breaks the lineup, and the other two took momentum killing penalties in the 3rd last night.

5 juniors, one missed half a year, another is coming off missing a season, and a third is a transfer (inelgible this year).

12 sophomores.

6 freshmen.

That's youth. Youth = Inconsistent. There's problem #1, and I can accept that, for now.

The bad penalties from the few leaders we have needs to stop immediately.

The bad penalties from the few leaders we have needs to stop immediately.

You're right about that. The Sioux wasted a lot of valuable third-period time killing those two penalties when they should have been pressuring for the tying goal.

You're right about that. The Sioux wasted a lot of valuable third-period time killing those two penalties when they should have been pressuring for the tying goal.

8 minutes to score one became 4 minutes to score one.

Freshman mistake? Yes.

But why did two senior captains do it?

That's the worst part is that we beat ourselves with bad penalities or weak goaltending :angry:

I have tried to hold back for the most part, and I will acknowledge up front that my own personal bias is going into this, but here it goes......

There are alot of people who are eager to place blame on one or two individuals for the poor play of the team. Granted there are those that are pointing out overall weaknesses, and I agree with those people. First, I will start off by defending Lammy. While he is not playing the best hockey he has ever played, he is also not playing poor hockey. Recapping the 4 goals allowed last night: 1st goal- Lammy makes a good save on a puck that he didn't see till the last minute, he was screened by a Wisconsin player and 2 of his own guys. The rebound that popped out should have been cleared, but Porter basically fanned on it. Allowing the goal on the rebound. 2nd goal - Bad luck, Lammy was in position and played it textbook, but it trickled funny and went through his arm, these things happen. 3rd goal- this is the only goal that really should not have happened. A 3 on 1 isn't a good situation, and you have to balance your focus between the guy with the puck and his options. Hindsite is 20/20, but I know many great goalies that would have played it the same way. 4th goal - wow---just really poor defense. Lammy makes a good initial save, but the D just couldn't help him out there, two defensemen miss opportunities to get Ford away from the net. Bottom line, not a bad performance, but also not outstanding. I think he was pulled to shake up the team, not because Hak didn't have faith in him.

I thought offensively UND played outstanding most of the night, facing a defensive team with an outstanding goaltender. Defensively the team was poor and made bad judgements, didn't hustle, and took stupid penalties. I think that Hak saw this because he started to play with D-men combinations, usually he just mixes up the forward lines.

Instead of trying to call out individual players for poor performances, which may or may not be valid, especially coming from a group of individual's who may or may not know anything about hockey, its time to recognize that only a few individuals are giving their all. I would say that Oshie, Duncan, and Bina right now are the only players that are really pushing themselves. They always hustle and 99% of the time play physical two-way hockey. Overall the team needs to find its spark, its motivation. Players are bond to make a mistake or two in games, no one is perfect, but its how you shake off those mistakes and atone for them that really matters. This team might need to lose a few more games until they reach that desparation point. Personally I think they can do it, but its up to them not us. Let the coaches and players do their jobs. I have not given up on the fact that I will be watching UND in the NCAA tourney.

This Wisconsin team is better than the one we played in Madison. AA is better than most people were prepared to admit. CC is not as good as they usually are. And I don't think the Sioux are dropping games because they do not give a shat or because they are lazy. That said, in nearly every game, they seem to allow a goal or two to opponents crashing the net and scoring on rebounds--goals that often would not have been scored in recent years. Add to that an occasional softie and you have a handful of losses that are hard to swallow. I would exchange the dumb penalties we've been taking for a few that result from hard hits around the crease to protect our turf. We do not control that part of the ice as we have in the past.

I have confidence that Hak and his staff will address whatever problems are preventing us from winning. Consistent stellar goaltending is harder to coach, though, and that is worrisome.

I really think this team will be all right, though, and that they will be in the tournament, come March.

I have tried to hold back for the most part, and I will acknowledge up front that my own personal bias is going into this, but here it goes......

There are alot of people who are eager to place blame on one or two individuals for the poor play of the team. Granted there are those that are pointing out overall weaknesses, and I agree with those people. First, I will start off by defending Lammy. While he is not playing the best hockey he has ever played, he is also not playing poor hockey. Recapping the 4 goals allowed last night: 1st goal- Lammy makes a good save on a puck that he didn't see till the last minute, he was screened by a Wisconsin player and 2 of his own guys. The rebound that popped out should have been cleared, but Porter basically fanned on it. Allowing the goal on the rebound. 2nd goal - Bad luck, Lammy was in position and played it textbook, but it trickled funny and went through his arm, these things happen. 3rd goal- this is the only goal that really should not have happened. A 3 on 1 isn't a good situation, and you have to balance your focus between the guy with the puck and his options. Hindsite is 20/20, but I know many great goalies that would have played it the same way. 4th goal - wow---just really poor defense. Lammy makes a good initial save, but the D just couldn't help him out there, two defensemen miss opportunities to get Ford away from the net. Bottom line, not a bad performance, but also not outstanding. I think he was pulled to shake up the team, not because Hak didn't have faith in him.

I thought offensively UND played outstanding most of the night, facing a defensive team with an outstanding goaltender. Defensively the team was poor and made bad judgements, didn't hustle, and took stupid penalties. I think that Hak saw this because he started to play with D-men combinations, usually he just mixes up the forward lines.

Instead of trying to call out individual players for poor performances, which may or may not be valid, especially coming from a group of individual's who may or may not know anything about hockey, its time to recognize that only a few individuals are giving their all. I would say that Oshie, Duncan, and Bina right now are the only players that are really pushing themselves. They always hustle and 99% of the time play physical two-way hockey. Overall the team needs to find its spark, its motivation. Players are bond to make a mistake or two in games, no one is perfect, but its how you shake off those mistakes and atone for them that really matters. This team might need to lose a few more games until they reach that desparation point. Personally I think they can do it, but its up to them not us. Let the coaches and players do their jobs. I have not given up on the fact that I will be watching UND in the NCAA tourney.

agreed with everything you just said. I love our boys, but our defense sucks right now. We need to start playing like a team and we will be fine. I have faith that they will still be playing next April.

As much as is this is still a month ending in "r", versus one ending in "y" when it really counts., I am not sure what to make of this team. It's brimming with great individuals, who just don't seem to be clicking as a team. Inconsistency seems to be a common factor. I'm not sure if they're still buying into the preseason hype, or whether a lack of leadership (one of my pet themes) has yet to put a fire under their collective a$$es. When I think about it, we've got a bunch of underachievers, most of whom are young and very talented, who need to start playing up to their talent, and not down to the other teams. My .02.

The 2nd goal that Lamoreux(sp?) gave up was just plain weak. The shot was from the point, wasn't floating, it didn't get tipped, and he had a clear view of it since I sit directly behind the goal. The goalie is the best penalty killer, and if Lamoreux would have made that save, it would have saved a goal obviously while allowing the Sioux to get a line change and their prime face-off man in the circle. He's gotta come up with that puck somehow last night.

Duncan is the most solid player on the ice.

Oshie never gives up but just can't get enough backup to finish off a goal.

Lammy has the skill but not the size. Low shots he will stop but high shots he will not.

One hit in a game for a player doesn't make him a hitter. Defense should be all about knocking the guy off a puck and you people who say lee doesnt need to hit and that he is all finesse, Bullsh*t! Defense=hitting! If hes not going to hit, make him a forward or bench him.

Bina is our key defensemen as it stands right now. There is an I in team when it comes down to our defense.

Take penalties, as long as there smart ones. Yes there is such thing as a smart penalty to take.

The puck does not bounce are way right now, it sucks!

Refs suck! everyone seems to complain about them in every game in college hockey this year. Are they planning a strike or something and just being sh*tty for the time being?

What is up with the REA. Are the people who work there RETARDED! All night long the music and everything else is dang near quiet..Then come to the end of the game they crank it! WTF is with this! A little advice to the morons at the REA. Get the crowd going AT THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME! Not with 17 seconds left in the third! (seriously the music was cranked when it already was too little too late. The bass was rocking but yet they cant get someone smart enough to run their audio after HOW many years now?!

Sioux have so much talent, I think? But something is missing or some things are missing... I have nothing but hope and I don't mean to dog the sioux players themselves, but somethings gotta give, and soon.(whatever that may be?)

Go sioux, and lets pray to god for a split, AT LEAST :angry:

Lammy has the skill but not the size. Low shots he will stop but high shots he will not.

Karl Goehring was smaller but was able to do it. Size isn't the issue.

Refs suck! everyone seems to complain about them in every game in college hockey this year. Are they planning a strike or something and just being sh*tty for the time being?

At least they consistently suck! :angry: I won't blame our team's misfortune on the refs.

What is up with the REA. Are the people who work there RETARDED!

As someone who works with kids with mental retardation, I get pretty annoyed with adults who can't think of a more educated insult. Live a day in the shoes of one of my kids and maybe you'll change your outlook. I've never even seen The Triouxper have to lower himself to this level of vocabulary. (That's a compliment Triouxper! :lol: )

plain and simple...they have no heart and they don't seem to really give a s&!t

I'll agree with that on almost all parts. There are certain players who have the biggest heart and try day in and day out, win or lose.

Duncan

Oshie

Watkins

Miller

Fabio

Chorney

And then there are some who are just there cause there team hasnt picked them up.

Lee

Finley

Phil

Forney

Here's something I have noticed this year, throughout the game watch how this team comes out of the lockerroom, specifically the person leading them out (Phil). It's sad, no emotion, just a lack luster, "ok were doing this now" Last year, JPar would charge out of that lockerroom and leap onto the ice like every game meant something, this attitude I thought got the rest of that team going. We just don't have that team leader this year to get the group going, like JPar, Smaby, etc. Let's go boys show some emotion, this including the coaching staff

What is up with the REA. Are the people who work there RETARDED!

As someone who works with kids with mental retardation, I get pretty annoyed with adults who can't think of a more educated insult. Live a day in the shoes of one of my kids and maybe you'll change your outlook. I've never even seen The Triouxper have to lower himself to this level of vocabulary. (That's a compliment Triouxper! :angry: )

And then there are some who are just there cause there team hasnt picked them up.

Phil

Forney

:angry:

What do you mean, their team hasn't picked them up? Phil isn't drafted, and won't be leaving for the pros early like JPar did. And Forney wasn't about to go straight from MN HS hockey to the NHL...

Give Forney some time. I have the feeling that he will develop into a very good player for the Sioux.

:angry:

What do you mean, their team hasn't picked them up? Phil isn't drafted, and won't be leaving for the pros early like JPar did. And Forney wasn't about to go straight from MN HS hockey to the NHL...

Give Forney some time. I have the feeling that he will develop into a very good player for the Sioux.

i agree... even though i had to come down on the team too, to let some steam off. im expecting tonights game to be a more solid effort....hopefully they give 60mins