SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux problems

SIOUXELEVENS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can any of the 4th period coaches out there in forum land answer them for me? ;)

It's a difficult question to answer. Coaches are different from one another. Players tend to respond differently to different coaches. Some coaches try to get players to hate them to mold them as a team. Other coaches take the family approach (we're all a family here). I don't know the specific differences between Berry and Jackson, but because they are doing the same type of coaching doesn't make them the same type coach.

Can we also all agree the 06 recruiting class is way below UND's traditional standards?

I don't understand how it happened. We didn't get any STARS per see. We got some decent role models but nothing that is Sioux type recruits. I think the coaching staff did not prepare for all of the defections until it was too late.

I don't understand how it happened. We didn't get any STARS per see. We got some decent role models but nothing that is Sioux type recruits. I think the coaching staff did not prepare for all of the defections until it was too late.

NO.

I agree with Goon that the number of defections hurt us. Adding Berry's leaving has left our team in a difficult position right now.

While I have stated and will state again that our team sucks right now, it's not a sinking ship. I have faith. We have a lot of talent, I don't mean just the 'stars', on this team. Hak has taken us to two FF in his two years here. Our coaching staff has a lot of work to do with our boys. I continue to support EVERY player on this team and Hak and his team of coaches.

However, this is the third year in a row these same discussions have been going on in December. Hakstol has been able to right the ship the last two years. I have every confidence he will be able to do the same this year.

This year the big difference is the goaltending. When some of the same problems existed early in the past two seasons Parise was winning games for them and rang up impressive numbers. It is not a problem that the coaches can resolve easily. They have three netminders to choose from and they get to see them in practice every day. The coaches demonstrated last night that despite the weak goals Lammy is still their number one. Unless I see one of the goalies get in a groove real soon I can't get optimisitic about a turn around this season.

I just have a quick question, Who are the persons standing between Jackson and Eades during warmups, are these recruits? If so how much time is spent with them before games? I feel like this is something maybe Tom Buning or some other person close to hockey operations should be dealing with. I feel like the coaches need to be spending time with the players before games and this could be a possible cause of the sad home record the past 3 years. Same with the kids. I just dont think its appropriate to have your kids around when your trying to work, just my thought to a possible problem. Most likely a long shot reasoning though.

I just have a quick question, Who are the persons standing between Jackson and Eades during warmups, are these recruits? If so how much time is spent with them before games? I feel like this is something maybe Tom Buning or some other person close to hockey operations should be dealing with. I feel like the coaches need to be spending time with the players before games and this could be a possible cause of the sad home record the past 3 years. Same with the kids. I just dont think its appropriate to have your kids around when your trying to work, just my thought to a possible problem. Most likely a long shot reasoning though.

they are recruits, i think it is because they are here to be introduced to the guys and the coachs, hence why they are there during warmups. I don't think that Buning would be dealing with them, not really in his job description otherwise it would be with all sports and he would never have time for anything else. The coachs are the recruitors (sp?) so they should be hanging out with them. I always see Hak and the coachs enter the locker room before the game, right before they shut the curtains on us. I have the vantage point of being across from there when I sit lower bowl. I do agree with you about the kids though.

This year the big difference is the goaltending. When some of the same problems existed early in the past two seasons Parise was winning games for them and rang up impressive numbers. It is not a problem that the coaches can resolve easily. They have three netminders to choose from and they get to see them in practice every day. The coaches demonstrated last night that despite the weak goals Lammy is still their number one. Unless I see one of the goalies get in a groove real soon I can't get optimisitic about a turn around this season.

The problem is that It's more serious this year, goaltending is a back bone of any championship season and if this level of goal tending continues UND is going to be fighting to not be in 7th place, that is not being fair weather, that is the a brutal reality. Truth hurts, yep it does, sucks actually.

If some of the knowledgeable fair weather fans say the goaltending sucks, there is probably a good possibility that the goaltending sucks. I have seen enough hockey over the years to know what good goaltending looks like. Anything under .900 is average or worse. Guess where we are right now? I would settle for a goalie that makes .900 percent of their saves. If it gets any worse I am going to be standing next to the Sioux bench with a Walski? (Sign). I am not so sure he could do any worse right now. Like someone brought up Grieco actually got points so maybe we shouldn't be as hard on him. 7 out a possible 12 points is better than 2 points out of 8 possible points. Heck I was hoping for 4 out of eight, losing 5/6 games is unacceptable unless you play for a traditional bottom feeder, the Sioux are not a traditional bottom feeder.

That is why some Sioux fans that follow each and every game like it was a religion are concerned, because most of us haven't seen goaltending like this since 2001. Its not about oh I like player X. It

Edited by Goon

they are recruits, i think it is because they are here to be introduced to the guys and the coachs, hence why they are there during warmups. I don't think that Buning would be dealing with them, not really in his job description otherwise it would be with all sports and he would never have time for anything else. The coachs are the recruitors (sp?) so they should be hanging out with them. I always see Hak and the coachs enter the locker room before the game, right before they shut the curtains on us. I have the vantage point of being across from there when I sit lower bowl. I do agree with you about the kids though.

I almost wonder if the kids may be the reason why we don't see much emotion, as if they want to keep that area rated G. It's a hockey locker room area it should be NC-17

I almost wonder if the kids may be the reason why we don't see much emotion, as if they want to keep that area rated G. It's a hockey locker room area it should be NC-17

I think the kids leave after warm-ups, I could be wrong. I haven't ever seen them during the game. I don't spend a whole lot time watching the bench though.

I think the kids leave after warm-ups, I could be wrong. I haven't ever seen them during the game. I don't spend a whole lot time watching the bench though.

i've never seen them during the game either, but if their there right before the game, whose to say their not there immediately after the game. That is the point in time where I would hope it would be only people who need to be there, coaches, players, trainers, and of course Tim getting us our interview.

They can't screw up any more than this pathetic president already has. He alone has made us the most hated nation in the the world. I'm absolutely embarrassed he is my president, truly embarrassed.

Everything republicans have been saying about the Irag war for the last three years has been proven to be complete bullsh!t. They were wrong and they still can't even admit it with the exception of a few. The Iraq war will go down as the biggest foreign policy blunder in our nation's history and it's 100% Bush's fault. The only person who is worse at his job than Bush is Hakstol and that's saying a lot.

I'd be embarrassed to live in a state where Bush wins handily. At least Minnesotans know what's really going on in this country(a republican hasn't won our state since '72 :blush: )but then again our state's revenue doesn't depend on the sale of Arctic Cat Jackets. Say hi to Hannity, Coulter, and Limbaugh for me. They rely on states like yours to keep them on the air.

And by the way, Toews and Oshie's combined goals(7) is less than half of Okposo's(15). Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;)

Well, you finally did it didn't you bucky. You have achieved "Biggest Idiot In The World For Life," congratulations.

After sitting through saturdays game the Sioux did play better just mental mistakes cost them the win. One thing I noticed(my own opinion) is that players aren't being used correctly. Having Genoway and Lee together they just got muscled around in front of their own net, both of those players are offensive minded and don't work well together. The dot line sure dominated ever time they were on the ice but no one seemed to take it to the net or look for the shot. Hakstol needs to shake thing up,try Walski in goal maybe,switch all the lines up see what happens. I sure don't know the answers but it seems like our coaching staff doesn't either. It's broken lets fix it. :blush:

Two problems: goaltending (primary) and scoring from our top players (secondary)

I've sat in the same seats behind our goalie since The Ralph opened, and have developed friendships with many of the folks who sit in the same section. Friday before the game I asked several "section mates" when was the last time they felt comfortable with the Sioux goaltending situation. Every single one said "not since before the new building opened". This is from people who have an up close and personal view of UND's goaltender two periods every game. This is from people who cheer great saves and have been very supportive of every netminder who's skated into the crease in front of us. Even when JPar was playing at his best, I've never felt the presence of a real "shut down" goalie wearing the Fighting Sioux sweater. And if the fans feel this, surely the skaters on the team feel this.

The defense is not going to be at its best if they lack confidence in the goalie's ability to make the big save. They're going to play tentatively and not pinch (to try to create offensive opportunities). They're going to spend a lot of time facing the net trying to bail out the goalie when they should be knocking people on their a**es in the slot, or looking up ice to start a rush.

Similarly, our forwards are being called upon to do an awful lot of back checking, to cover for the D having to play so deep in their own zone. As a consequence, the odd-man rushes are limited, and the general "mood" of our offensive play has suffered. In short, a team cannot play aggressive offense if five skaters are having to collapse into a defensive shell around suspect goaltending.

I didn't intend to demean Lammy, but I am not a fan. He is too quick to flop to the ice and leaves the top half of the goal open far too often.

As to scoring (or lack thereof) from our "stars", I think Toews and Oshie are being called upon too much to play defense; in addition the extra attention they are receiving from opposing teams is curtailing their scoring. PLUS, I see another iteration of a team that never met a pass it didn't love. The whole team needs to shoot more and quit trying to set up that tac-tac-toe ESPN highlight film opportunity.

This post is way longer than it should be. But I'll close with one question:

The Fighting Sioux have recruited world-class skaters for years. The program's history, the coaching staff, The Ralph all have a great deal to do with that success. But why oh why can this team not recruit a world-class, shut down goalie?

This post is way longer than it should be. But I'll close with one question:

The Fighting Sioux have recruited world-class skaters for years. The program's history, the coaching staff, The Ralph all have a great deal to do with that success. But why oh why can this team not recruit a world-class, shut down goalie?

I totally agree with you and the simple answer is that finding goaltenders that will remain consistent and improve at a higher level is often a crapshoot. Lately, the formula for success at Denver, Wisconsin and CC has been Tier II hockey in Canada. Perhaps the coaches are in the process of pursuing that route bringing in Greico this year and perhaps the AJHL kid next year or in 08. Although it is supposed to be a Tier One Junior league, the USHL isn't producing very many of the top goalie recruits.

But why oh why can this team not recruit a world-class, shut down goalie?

The short answer is that it is because they aren't easy to identify. This is also a question I often ask of the Gopher program. It seems like I can count the number of games that the Gophs have had an advantage vs. UW in nets on one hand over the last 20 years.

There are some exceptions, but the great college goalies seem to develop over their first two years of playing time and then become dominant. Nothing prohibits freshmen and sophomores from playing great at the end of the season or having them "come up big" in the playoffs. Manino/Weber are recent examples of that type of goalie.

Parise was brilliant last year and know doubt would have been this year as well, so I really don't know if the Sioux have been really that weak in nets over time compared to some other high profile WCHA programs.

The short answer is that it is because they aren't easy to identify. This is also a question I often ask of the Gopher program. It seems like I can count the number of games that the Gophs have had an advantage vs. UW in nets on one hand over the last 20 years.

There are some exceptions, but the great college goalies seem to develop over their first two years of playing time and then become dominant. Nothing prohibits freshmen and sophomores from playing great at the end of the season or having them "come up big" in the playoffs. Manino/Weber are recent examples of that type of goalie.

Parise was brilliant last year and know doubt would have been this year as well, so I really don't know if the Sioux have been really that weak in nets over time compared to some other high profile WCHA programs.

I have a hard time with this. How do schools like Wisconsin consistently identify those goalies? I would think the common link would have to be coaching, then that develops those players. (No, I'm not trying to pick on the UND coaching staff.) Seems to me that we've had more mediocre goalies since 88/89 than good ones. Schweitzer had only 1 good year. Goehring and Parise could save games. That's 8 years out of the last 19, while it seems schools like Wisconsin have a stellar goalie year in and year out.

How do schools like Wisconsin consistently identify those goalies? I would think the common link would have to be coaching, then that develops those players.

Two words Bill Howard. We don't have a person that is a goaltending coach. Its like Florida State not having a Line Backer coach.

Two words Bill Howard. We don't have a person that is a goaltending coach. Its like Florida State not having a Line Backer coach.

For all the money that is spent on the program and facilities perhaps that is first thing to rectify. Given his passion for the program, maybe the Eagle would be interested, if and when he retires.