SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

The plan that's been out for a long time was to connect the "bridge to nowhere" to another parking ramp on the east side of Columbia. Because of the parking problems on campus, that's going to happen regardless of whether a new stadium is built. The "bridge to nowhere" was always going somewhere, or it wouldn't have been built.

Agreed. I just talked to a contractor in GF about two weeks ago that confirmed where it was going. Just having a little fun, as the bridge has been a topic here before. :lol:

Agreed. I just talked to a contractor in GF about two weeks ago that confirmed where it was going. Just having a little fun, as the bridge has been a topic here before. :D

It was confirmed about two years ago. Nobody seemed to pay attention.

do you think this will really happen?

Do we even have close to the Assets ($!) to make this happen?

It's not just about money, it's about building a fanbase passionate about UND football to fill all those seats. Success at the next level, along with money, will be key to making a new outdoor stadium a reality.

UNDstadium.jpg

Now help me out here: What direction are we looking in that image?

If we assume we see parking ramps (existing and coming) on the right, that means we are looking west (with the ramps to the north). However, given the lighting and shadows, that would mean the sun is in the northeast.

UNDstadium.jpg

If we assume we see parking ramps (existing and coming) on the right, that means we are looking west (with the ramps to the north). However, given the lighting and shadows, that would mean the sun is in the northeast.

Old Memorial Stadium and the Hyslop complex are behind the large video screen. The seating appears to be removed from old Memorial and replaced with catwalks to walk from between the north and south sides of the bowl.

do you think this will really happen?

Do we even have close to the Assets ($!) to make this happen?

Do you really think UND is going to hire an architectural firm to draw images for fun? (like they did)

I am glad UND is not hiding the fact that they want to do things the "right" way so UND can have the resources to be successful!

UNDstadium.jpg

It's definitely West. If you look closely at the horizon above the Student Union, you can see the control tower at Sloulin Field Int'l Airport in Williston. And if you look straight West over the video scoreboard, you can see the Fort Union Trading Post to the Southwest of Williston. :D

This is what $285 Mill is buying for the Gophers 50,000 seat stadium:

west_rendering_lg.jpg

The pitch of the UND rendering is seems steeper, and the seating not as expansive in the upper deck. Perhaps it is 35,000 seats --> maybe $150 Mill ?

Why have the proposed stadium opening facing West? why not have it facing East towards our downtown like the U of M does? :D (my attempt at a little humor). Question though..............watching the coaches show last night after the news, at the end of the coaches show Pat had brought up D1/next year and Dale said he was excited and named a few things he was excited about, i.e. recruiting, etc and he mentioned "facility upgrade" . It would sound to me like an expansion at the Alerus, but facility upgrade could also mean new I guess. Anybody hear of any expansion plans at the Alerus? I know city council president Hal Gershman mentioned a while ago that if the Alerus Center could be expanded and before the city would pump money into that expansion, they would have to have a long term commitment from UND.

Most of this is a bit more long term than what is being discussed here (aka 5, 10, 15 + years down the road). Immediate facilities upgrades I have heard repeatedly about would be an indoor practice facilities (Grand Valley's will be nice) which I could see going up within about 2 years.

It's not just about money, it's about building a fanbase passionate about UND football to fill all those seats. Success at the next level, along with money, will be key to making a new outdoor stadium a reality.

Allow me to rephrase...

Do we have the fanbase necessary to make us worthy of a stadium of this magnitude.

We don't even sell out the Alerus Center right now. I would love to have this stadium but it is going to take a lot of improvement in fanbase to make this happen and also to upkeep it. The new stadium will be a huge failure if it is built and it's half full every game.

Is there really any feasible way to expand the Alerus? If there is, I would be all in favor of that before building a new stadium. The only ways I can see to do it would be to put seating on the North concourse overlooking the endzone, and/or wipeout all the seats on the west (visitor) side and steepen the pitch of the seats so they go all the way up to the top of the building (more like the pitch in the REA). I don't know if this would be cost-effective, if the Alerus Commission would go for it, or how many net seats you could gain in there. But I do think that UND should stay in the Alerus until demand for seats exceeds supply for a long period of time. Being the #2 sport in town, I question whether Grand Forks is ready to go back to outdoor football. Attendance is up ~2,000-2,500 since we moved indoors. If you can get capacity up into the 14-15,000ish range, I think that would accomodate UND football adequately. It's not all a loss if your building is a little small either. If it is full, that will lead to more TV coverage (every game?), and higher ticket prices.

Allow me to rephrase...

Do we have the fanbase necessary to make us worthy of a stadium of this magnitude.

We don't even sell out the Alerus Center right now. I would love to have this stadium but it is going to take a lot of improvement in fanbase to make this happen and also to upkeep it. The new stadium will be a huge failure if it is built and it's half full every game.

If a stadium of this type magnitude is even in the realm of consideration, neither the Fighting Sioux Club, nor the city of GF, nor the state of ND, and certainly not the students will be shelling out the $'s to build it. Only some very deep-deep pocketed alumni could possibly be dreaming this big: IA football. Whether there is any actual follow through, it would only be natural to be skeptical. To build stadiums and facilities and pay coaches at the IA level takes a huge financial investment and risk. Troy Univ (Alabama) was able to become a respectable IA football school largely because of the owners of the Movie Gallery chain. Boise St had a number of deep-pocketed backers that had high IA vision thirty years ago. Both those schools knew the fan-base wasn

If a stadium of this type magnitude is even in the realm of consideration, neither the Fighting Sioux Club, nor the city of GF, nor the state of ND, and certainly not the students will be shelling out the $'s to build it. Only some very deep-deep pocketed alumni could possibly be dreaming this big: IA football.

Fifteen years ago, UND had trouble filling the Old REA. No one would have dared dream then (except for Ralph) that 11,000 seat sellouts would be routine in a shiny new REA. Granted, IA football is a much more expensive and cut-throat game, but the media payback is higher. A benefactor(s) would have to give nearly twice what Ralph did to get UND in the IA football game.

I think there's a former Fighting Sioux football player who's name would look just great on the front of that stadium. I believe his pockets are quite a bit deeper than Ralph's were. :lol:

How does this stadium look??

UNDstadium.jpg

The lower level in that picture looks like it could seat what? Possibly 20-25,000. That's not an unreasonable place to start. Build the lower level horse-shoe to include all of the locker rooms, weight rooms, video rooms, study rooms, training rooms, etc. And it looks like there is an open plaza inside of those arches. I am sure that the whole second level is more of a best case scenario of what could be added on someday. And having a covered plaza would sure be nice on those inclement weather days.

I doubt showing these plans to potential recruits would really hurt either. :lol: