SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

I saw him introduced at halftime at the UND football game. Just after that I ran into him in the bathroom. I told him I enjoyed watching him play at UND when I was in high school here in GF. I thanked him for coming back. He said it is nice to be back. Seems like a real down to earth fella. I do not have the rank to give out his name. Besides I may be wrong.

I know exactly who you are talking about. However, I'm not sure that he himself is worth that much money. I believe he is a high ranking executive of the company that is worth over a billion. I also believe that said individual will be around UND Football a lot more in the future and will be donating some of his "resources". I wasn't aware that this was such a big secret. But, when in Rome. I guess I won't be the one to spill the beans. :ohmy:

UND steps up scholarship campaign

When I posted the link to the possible new football stadium last week, I asked the question how does it look. There was a response that it was too open. Now I know why...

And in case Sioux football ever outgrows the Alerus Center, an outdoor stadium with a retractable roof is part of the facilities plan.

The biggest need, though, is an indoor practice facility. UND's master plan includes a practice facility with a 300-meter running track. The price tag is estimated at $15 to $19 million. Another facility in the master plan is a soccer field with a regulation running track.
UND also must find a way to address basketball. The men's and women's teams could at some point outgrow the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center. School officials are looking at possible BESC expansion or playing in another venue, such as Ralph Engelstad Arena, for high-interest games.

And in case Sioux football ever outgrows the Alerus Center, an outdoor stadium with a retractable roof is part of the facilities plan.

Retractable roof? :D

Swe-e-e-e-et. ;)

The biggest need, though, is an indoor practice facility. UND's master plan includes a practice facility with a 300-meter running track. The price tag is estimated at $15 to $19 million. Another facility in the master plan is a soccer field with a regulation running track.

The price tag for an indoor facility was more like $10-12 million not that long ago. Interesting.

UND also must find a way to address basketball. The men's and women's teams could at some point outgrow the Betty Engelstad Sioux Center. School officials are looking at possible BESC expansion or playing in another venue, such as Ralph Engelstad Arena, for high-interest games.

If UND FB were to move out of the Alerus Center, and needed a bigger venue for basketball, would Alerus Center be considered, or is that implicit in that line?

If UND FB were to move out of the Alerus Center, and needed a bigger venue for basketball, would Alerus Center be considered, or is that implicit in that line?

The Betty opened in 2004, and in 2007 they are already talking about a way to "address basketball" and outgrowing the Betty. But it sure will be a nice volleyball facility. :D

And I don't see where it's implicit in the comment that the Alerus is a possibility.

And I don't see where it's implicit in the comment that the Alerus is a possibility.

... looking at possible BESC expansion or playing in another venue, such as Ralph Engelstad Arena, for high-interest games.

Doesn't "such as" leave open the possibility of other locations?

Doesn't "such as" leave open the possibility of other locations?

Maybe technically you are correct from a grammatical context, but the possibility must not be all that strong if it didn't warrant a specific mention along with the Ralph. After all, the Alerus is a football stadium. I know basketball can be played there, but do you really think it's an ideal venue for a Division I basketball program?

The ideal option for basketball long-term is a new facility. Yes, there are other options, but none of them fit very well. That's why the Betty, and the lack of foresight it represents, was such a waste of donated dollars.