SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

The last time we played a school from Southern Alabama in freezing weather (Livingston St), we lost. :D

I was there. I remember reading the Herald the next day with the headline "Snow Job". All week long the coaches from Livingston were complaining how cold it was. The general thought is that it doesn't get cold or snow in Northern Alabama. Guess what it does, hence the headline.

Let's look at this from another perspective. What would the population of GF need to be to make a 25k seat outdoor statdium practical (see also: not look empty)? And when is the projected time frame for GF to meet that population level? This is perhaps more important than having the financing to build the stadium itself.

Let's look at this from another perspective. What would the population of GF need to be to make a 25k seat outdoor statdium practical (see also: not look empty)? And when is the projected time frame for GF to meet that population level? This is perhaps more important than having the financing to build the stadium itself.

People travel for football. Many small towns (though bigger that GF in all fairness) explode in population for football games. It might just be crazy enough to work.

How many seats would sell for NDSU playing UND? We can safely say 19011 (UND in Fargodome). What if UND could get a "name" school for a game as a part of "weekend" of football and hockey?

In reality, does an 11500 seat hockey arena seem practical in GF? But it works.

Now, to contradict myself, no roof seems to me to be a bit of a problem given folks have gotten used to that feature.

The U of Wyoming plays in a city with a population of about 27,000 in a stadium with a capacity slightly over 30,000. Last year's average attendance was around 21,000 for a crappy team. Source. The people in Wyoming (that aren't Nebraska fans) are driving to Laramie from all over the state on Saturdays. It isn't that far-fetched to think it could work at UND.

Even Jeff Kolpack seems somewhat threatened, or even offended, by UND even bringing it up.

There are likely many other examples of it working all around the country.

Who would have thought years ago that the NFL could succeed in tiny little Green Bay, WI?

The U of Wyoming plays in a city with a population of about 27,000 in a stadium with a capacity slightly over 30,000. Last year's average attendance was around 21,000 for a crappy team. Source. The people in Wyoming (that aren't Nebraska fans) are driving to Laramie from all over the state on Saturdays. It isn't that far-fetched to think it could work at UND.

Even Jeff Kolpack seems somewhat threatened, or even offended, by UND even bringing it up.

There are likely many other examples of it working all around the country.

Who would have thought years ago that the NFL could succeed in tiny little Green Bay, WI?

What is Wyoming State's attendance like? That's a large omission.

What is Wyoming State's attendance like? That's a large omission.

From Laramie, seems to me Fort Collins (CSU) is about 70 miles away and Boulder (CU) is about 140 miles (and Denver is on the other side of both).

They'd have a bigger impact than Wyoming State. :D

Nobody is saying is saying that this will happen next year. The Alerus will serve as a great venue for a number of more years. But, believe it or not they won't be there forever. There are a lot of good people working to make UND football successful and grow as a program. One would actually hope that they outgrow the current situation in the Al. I think a 30,000 seat stadium someday, multiple FCS/1AA Championships, and a possible move 1a football could all legitimately happen for this team, university, and city.

Kolpack made it sound like UND was going to start building tomorrow. Kolpack said we had better be selling out the Alerus for a few years before we talk about expansion. I do beleive UND said this is down the road if necessary. UND was implying that if attendance did grow in the next few years. I guess Kolpack is just trying to make up a story that makes UND look foolish. I see NDSU might sell out for the game tomorrow. I heard that if you stopped at Scheel's today you could get . 2 tickets free for their game tomorrow with no questions asked. That's one way of selling out. I don't think we will ever need 25,000 seats for future games but it would be nice if we could seat 18 or 20 thousand seats. I think our football team is definitely heading in the right direction.

A brief story which stated that if UND outgrows the Alerus Center then Memorial Stadium could be expanded to seat 25-35k by adding onto both ends.

UND still has a one year contract with the Alerus.

OUTGROW THE ALERUS CENTER! :D;) Ohhh, yess. Sorry but i'm just speaking the truth here, you gotta average in the double digit thousands before you should think about it.

Kolpack made it sound like UND was going to start building tomorrow. Kolpack said we had better be selling out the Alerus for a few years before we talk about expansion. I do beleive UND said this is down the road if necessary. UND was implying that if attendance did grow in the next few years. I guess Kolpack is just trying to make up a story that makes UND look foolish. I see NDSU might sell out for the game tomorrow. I heard that if you stopped at Scheel's today you could get . 2 tickets free for their game tomorrow with no questions asked. That's one way of selling out. I don't think we will ever need 25,000 seats for future games but it would be nice if we could seat 18 or 20 thousand seats. I think our football team is definitely heading in the right direction.

wow, who did you hear that from?? :D

Just got back from Scheel's and talked to one of the managers. There were no tickets given away at Scheel's.

Once again I have to ask, why are there so many Bison fans posting on SiouxSports? Is the inferiority complex that great that you can't stay away? Additionally, as a Sioux fan, I don't really care what the Bison mouthpiece, Kolpack, thinks.

Where else are they going to see what a D1 championship looks like...

Just got back from Scheel's and talked to one of the managers. There were no tickets given away at Scheel's.

WDAY did their radio broadcast from Scheel's this morning. Scot Hennen was saying all morning to stop by and get your pair of free tickets to the Bison game. You might want to check with your Scheel's source again. But they sure were giving them away at the Fargo store.

WDAY did their radio broadcast from Scheel's this morning. Scot Hennen was saying all morning to stop by and get your pair of free tickets to the Bison game. You might want to check with your Scheel's source again. But they sure were giving them away at the Fargo store.

Right. That's a radio promotion . One in which NDSU already received compensation for the tickets, but it wasn't Scheel's giving away the tickets.

Bison fans' sensitivity to the ribbing they get about Bison ticket promotions' is always entertaining. OK, we get it...Bison football is drawing well. Try stretching that type of attendance from Nov-March like Sioux hockey does without giving away the tickets and we will be impressed.