SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

NDSU is not required to start a swimming program just because its students have an interest and ability for swimming.

But if we already had a program, I think it would be a losing battle to drop it.

It's not really a completely black and white issue, because it depends on whether a school is at least relatively compliant to begin with. But I'd be willing to bet that an otherwise compliant school COULD drop a women's sport, along with a corresponding men's sport, so long as the net result, i.e. proportionality, doesn't change. Heck, a school could simply choose to drop athletics altogether and be perfectly Title IX compliant.

It's not really a completely black and white issue, because it depends on whether a school is at least relatively compliant to begin with. But I'd be willing to bet that an otherwise compliant school COULD drop a women's sport, along with a corresponding men's sport, so long as the net result, i.e. proportionality, doesn't change. Heck, a school could simply choose to drop athletics altogether and be perfectly Title IX compliant.

Again, for the same reason, if a school already had an athletics department I highly doubt it would be within the parameters of the students interests and abilities to simply drop athletics.

I've seen plenty of schools drop only men's sports and a few drop some women's and then a lot of men' sports at the same time. Most recently, UNH and JMU dropped several sports, mostly men's.

I don't recall seeing a school drop sports one-to-one at a single time.

Again, for the same reason, if a school already had an athletics department I highly doubt it would be within the parameters of the students interests and abilities to simply drop athletics.

I've seen plenty of schools drop only men's sports and a few drop some women's and then a lot of men' sports at the same time. Most recently, UNH and JMU dropped several sports, mostly men's.

I don't recall seeing a school drop sports one-to-one at a single time.

I can see we're not getting anywhere here, so I guess we'll simply agree to disagree.

After the repeat national championship success of Oregon State in baseball, Oregon Duck boosters apparently had enough. Oregon U adds baseball, and for Title IX purposes, adds competitive cheer, and drops wrestling. Oregon was the only PAC10 school without baseball. By Oregon dropping wrestling, the PAC10 will be down to three wrestling schools (Ariz St, Stanford, OSU), and by conference rules will no longer sponsor wrestling. Wrestling would now probably be sponsored by Mountain Pacific Sports Federation with these schools:

Another baseball team could be in jeopardy if they don't find a conference: UNC

UNC Bears Baseball searches for home, have high hopes

University of Northern Colorado athletic director Jay Hinrichs and UNC baseball coach Kevin Smallcomb said finding a conference is now the top priority. The Bears have applied to both the Western Athletic Conference and the Summit League (formerly the Mid-Continent Conference) along with women's softball, but Hinrichs said that both conferences have informed UNC they are not looking for affiliate members.

He also said that they have looked at every possibility west of the Mississippi to find a home for baseball and softball, but haven't found a home.

"Past the Mississippi, there is not a lot people out here still playing baseball, never mind Division I," Hinrichs said.

Former Major League baseball player Mark Knudson does a lot of work for the Mountain TV Network and he would like to see UNC join the Mountain West Conference, which is a seven-team league because Wyoming and Colorado State don't have baseball programs.

Knudson said it would help the conference by creating an even number of teams and allow every team to play in the conference tournament. He believes it also would be geographically better for UNC than the WAC with teams like Air Force, New Mexico, BYU and Utah so close in proximity.

Greeley Tribune: UNC Baseball to Take Flight?

At the start of the 2005 season, University of Northern Colorado baseball coach Kevin Smallcomb was sitting in the dugout at the University of Arizona. His team was losing 15-0 to the No. 11-ranked Wildcats. He'd already used his two best pitchers and it was only the second inning with two more games left in the series.

The Bears are one of only two teams along with Air Force in the state that has Division I baseball programs. While bigger schools such as the University of Colorado and Colorado State dropped baseball long ago, UNC has managed to survive despite the challenges of playing baseball in Colorado in some hard economic times.

At times it is not easy. The Bears are operating on a shoestring budget of $200,000 and four full-ride scholarships next season.

They also play a demanding road schedule against Division I powerhouses like Arizona, Arkansas and Nebraska to help bring money into the program and entice recruits to play in Colorado.

Even playing their limited home schedule is a challenge when weather can wipe out a home series at any second.

The UNC baseball budget for the 2007-08 fiscal year is $200,000, down $25,000 from a year ago. The Bears have four full-ride scholarships totaling $40,000, down from six scholarships a year ago. The NCAA maximum scholarships allowed for Division I baseball programs is 11.78.

Strong past can lead way for UNC in future on diamond

In early June, 1974, the lilac bushes just beyond the outfield fence at Jackson Field weren't quite in full bloom.

Inside the fences, the University of Northern Colorado baseball team was bustin' out all over, sweeping then No. 1-ranked Arizona in two straight and heading to the College World Series.

Making the trek to Omaha, Neb., for the College World Series was nothing new to the Bears, who had made nine previous trips. UNC's 10 trips to the week-long tournament still ranks No. 11 in series appearances.

"We had it going, that's for sure," then head coach Tom Petroff said. "It was really something special."

• 1 month later...
Has anyone seen the athletic master plan talked about here. It must be finished ?!?

I wonder what the "connection" is between two parking ramps and the athletic master plan. Is part of a plan for the Sioux to move back outdoors into a renovated Memorial Stadium? Interesting.

There will be two parking ramps connected together by the walkway bridge.

Look for a total renovation of Memorial Stadium..from the Inside - Out... This will be done so that we can compete for recruits as we go forward into Division 1 AA football (FCS). Weight Rooms, Study Rooms, Locker Rooms, Players Lounges, Renovated Offices, modular meeting rooms, all complete with state of the art video and electronics, the bottom of Memorial Stadium along with the South Tower will all be used.

Field Turf is currently being installed, and then the Grass Field to the South will be completley re-seeded and completed.

Some where in the future you will see a indoor practice facility (hopefully soon 3-5 years) and long term a larger Memorial Stadium (15-20 Years)

Can the athletic department maximize attendance by playing outdoors vs indoors? Back in the day I froze my a$$ off at Memorial Stadium in November with 5-6 thousand others (i'm guessing), and had a great time doing it, but how much higher can attendance go than it already has in the Alerus? Particularly if it is outside again?

Can the athletic department maximize attendance by playing outdoors vs indoors? Back in the day I froze my a$$ off at Memorial Stadium in November with 5-6 thousand others (i'm guessing), and had a great time doing it, but how much higher can attendance go than it already has in the Alerus? Particularly if it is outside again?

Easy answer is No...

But I believe they are planning for a alternative site if attendance grows in the future (20 years..?) and it also is not cheap at the Alerus we pay for practice time and games played there... anyone remember how much..?

There will be two parking ramps connected together by the walkway bridge.

Look for a total renovation of Memorial Stadium..from the Inside - Out... This will be done so that we can compete for recruits as we go forward into Division 1 AA football (FCS). Weight Rooms, Study Rooms, Locker Rooms, Players Lounges, Renovated Offices, modular meeting rooms, all complete with state of the art video and electronics, the bottom of Memorial Stadium along with the South Tower will all be used.

Field Turf is currently being installed, and then the Grass Field to the South will be completley re-seeded and completed.

Some where in the future you will see a indoor practice facility (hopefully soon 3-5 years) and long term a larger Memorial Stadium (15-20 Years)

Walrus:

Do you know where the indoor practice facility is intended to be placed?

Walrus:

Do you know where the indoor practice facility is intended to be placed?

The last rendering I saw (year ago) showed the Indoor facility where the old REA is. It would contain a 300 meter track, 80 yard football field, could be used for Track, Soccer, Football, Softball.

The grass fields to the south of Memorial stadium are to be tore up, crowned, and reseeded when ever the field turf project is finished inside Memorial.

The last rendering I saw (year ago) showed the Indoor facility where the old REA is. It would contain a 300 meter track, 80 yard football field, could be used for Track, Soccer, Football, Softball.
Is it possible for a softball team to host a game using a multifunctional indoor facility as its home field, and not just for practice? A quick Google search didn't seem to indicate that any other school was doing this.

Edit: Just crunched some numbers. A practice field 80 yards long would actually meet the requirements for the length of a softball field, but a portion of the building would need to be 90 yards wide (rather than ~ 60) to allow space for a LF corner to RF corner diagonal :angry:.

Is it possible for a softball team to host a game using a multifunctional indoor facility as its home field, and not just for practice? A quick Google search didn't seem to indicate that any other school was doing this.

Edit: Just crunched some numbers. A practice field 80 yards long would actually meet the requirements for the length of a softball field, but a portion of the building would need to be 90 yards wide (rather than ~ 60) to allow space for a LF corner to RF corner diagonal :angry:.

I do not believe so...

I have seen St Cloud host a softball tourney in there dome practice facility, it however was 140 yards long and 90 yards wide, it does cover their entire football field.

• 2 weeks later...
There is going to be a story on the 10:00 WDAZ news tonight about the possibility of a new outdoor football stadium at UND.

A brief story which stated that if UND outgrows the Alerus Center then Memorial Stadium could be expanded to seat 25-35k by adding onto both ends.

UND still has a one year contract with the Alerus.

Talk about financial disaster for the Alerus Center if that happens.

They would just need to change their financial model. They now have Canad there. The phrase "convention center" would have to become their prime selling point.

That, and maybe they could offer to become home to some other UND sports (like BB, or whatever) for a reasonable to both parties negotiated price.

They would just need to change their financial model. They now have Canad there. The phrase "convention center" would have to become their prime selling point.

That, and maybe they could offer to become home to some other UND sports (like BB, or whatever) for a reasonable to both parties negotiated price.

I like it. Nothing like playing a team from Southern Alabama at home in outdoors in December.