SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

Thanks for the link. Besides the new presidents house and alumni center...

The foundation also unveiled plans for a $1.3 million addition to the School of Engineering and Mines' Harrington Hall. The roughly 7,000 square-foot addition is being funded by alumni Larry Jodsaas and will be known as the Jodsaas Center.

The Jodsaas Center will function similar to a center for entrepreneurship within the engineering school, said James Galloway, a design architect with JLG Architects, which is managing the project.

I just love all these Bison fans coming to the Ralph for Sioux games. They are the same ones here in Fargo that say "Sioux Suck, except I love Sioux Hockey!" I know for a fact just a year ago Stop n Go you could buy one get one free for Bison games. Funny how a metro area of 150,000 can't sell out every game. Grand Forks is 50,000 and can sell out a 11500 arena for hockey all winter!! With a line of cars 78 miles long coming out of Fargo every Friday and Saturday night!

Let's not get to carried away with our definition of a sell out. There are many games throughout the hockey season when there are plenty of open seats, due to no show, and poor student turnout (upper deck).

Since I didn't get my degree from either school I can be a fan of both schools. I live and Fargo and try to take my kids to a couple of NDSU games a year and it is getting harder to get good seats of 4 in a row this year. I truely hope that both schools need to expand football stadiums.

Maybe they did sell all the tickets for this game, but the place obviously wasn't full. Bison fans generally like to attack UND for reporting "paid attendance" while claiming that NDSU reports "butts in the seats" (see Hammersmith's parting comment). That is simply not true.

I guess Gene Taylor dispelled that myth when asked about it by Mike McFeely

3 questions for

Since I didn't get my degree from either school I can be a fan of both schools. I live and Fargo and try to take my kids to a couple of NDSU games a year and it is getting harder to get good seats of 4 in a row this year. I truely hope that both schools need to expand football stadiums.
Have you been to a UND football game? If not, perhaps buy $10 tickets on a Tuesday for the Omaha game and report back your observations. :silly:

For an open-air stadium: $62 mill for a 30,000 seats. For a retractable roof: double that?

32651376.jpg

Schnellenberger pleased Owls 'back on course'

Florida Atlantic coach Howard Schnellenberger has pushed for on-campus stadiums at three of the schools he has been at but has yet to coach a game in one.

That should change in 2010 after FAU's board of trustees approved plans Tuesday for a $62 million, 30,000-seat stadium to be built on the main campus in Boca Raton.

This is FAU's seventh season of football. The Owls played their first two years at Dolphin Stadium before moving to their current home, 20,000-seat Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale.

But with Central Florida's 45,000-seat Bright House Networks Stadium opening this past Saturday, and Florida International currently renovating and expanding its on-campus facility, FAU was in danger of falling behind its rivals.

"I like being third in line because we can build something better than our competitors and learn from their mistakes along the way," Angelos said.

If a stadium could be built to somehow block the wind (somewhat) and install radiant heat flooring in the stands a retractable roof wouldn't be needed.

I too have thought this to be the way to go. It would demonstrate original thinking instead of the Fargo Dome inspired "me-tooism" of the Alerus. I think it would be the best of all possible worlds, better even than a retractable dome (not that a retractable dome is a realisitic possibility).

I too have thought this to be the way to go. It would demonstrate original thinking instead of the Fargo Dome inspired "me-tooism" of the Alerus. I think it would be the best of all possible worlds, better even than a retractable dome (not that a retractable dome is a realisitic possibility).

Yes, that is definitely the way to go. It would be warm but still be an out door field.

Since you're all gettin' dreamy and greedy I'm going to join in:

How about a horseshoe open-air dome .... what? :silly:

Horseshoe, with a fixed roof. And a glass wall.

(This is where Diggler and PCM chime in with "He's lost it this time for sure" but to them I say "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" ??? )

On the site of Memorial, field running N/S, open end south, but the "open" end is really a giant glass wall with panels that can be opened or closed to suit the weather or season. To the south you'd put the outdoor track and practice field to look on to.

The south glass wall would go from field level to the roof and look like the "glass wall" of Miller Park. Some panes would open for climate control. Above the opposite end you'd probably want a mirroring section to allow cross-ventillation north to south.

You'd have all of the "feel" of outside, but none of the elements (unless you opened the windows).

Benefit? In the winter you'd let in all of that sunshine and keep heating costs down for the university. You wouldn't have to pay for the retractable roof (sorry "star" ??? ) and still feel "outdoors". You'd probably want to silver the glass to reflect most of the summer sun.

Some of you probably are thinking this is a giant .... Green House, and as UND's home, it would be. :)

Don't blame me: Y'all brought this upon yourselves with this this dreamy and greedy stuff.

PS - Did I mention the skyway to the stadium from the new parking ramp on the east side of Columbia? Dream big.

Sica,

Sounds good but I like what GeauxSioux and I have in mind better. You see, in my dream, I want sunshine on my face and real grass on the field.

My Sprinturf field has lower long-term maintenance costs. As far as sunshine, pick a seat by the glass wall. ???:silly:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps UND should find a way to expand the Alerus after all and keep the "fair weather fans inside". SDSU had there first conference home game of the season yesterday and only had an attendance of 6500 vs Caly Poly. Was it a bad weather day in South Dakota yesterday?

Perhaps UND should find a way to expand the Alerus after all and keep the "fair weather fans inside". SDSU had there first conference home game of the season yesterday and only had an attendance of 6500 vs Caly Poly. Was it a bad weather day in South Dakota yesterday?

Pheasant opener. You know how it is in the Dakotas.

I know that hunting has a significant impact on day games, but does it also impact night games?

I don't hunt, but I assume you make a day of it. If either hunting or the game requires any significant travel, I can't image the average fan would enjoy sitting in the cold and wet while hunting, then getting into a truck and driving for an hour or three, then sitting on hard bleachers for another three or four. That would be a terribly long day.

I don't hunt, but I assume you make a day of it. If either hunting or the game requires any significant travel, I can't image the average fan would enjoy sitting in the cold and wet while hunting, then getting into a truck and driving for an hour or three, then sitting on hard bleachers for another three or four. That would be a terribly long day.

I don't hunt either. I'm just going by posts from UND fans that are hunters who say that the attendance would be be better if the Sioux played more night football games. Hockey for instance doesn't seem to have attendance problems during hunting season.

Anybody have any new news on OUR facilities plan (mostly football?). I'm curious about what going on at UND right now, not SDSU!

Maybe an Alerus Centre upgrade or a memorial Stadium renovation?

I do truly feel like we need to get closer to a seating capacity of 18-19 000 like the Fargodome to help our program grow.

Anybody have any new news on OUR facilities plan (mostly football?). I'm curious about what going on at UND right now, not SDSU!

Maybe an Alerus Centre upgrade or a memorial Stadium renovation?

I do truly feel like we need to get closer to a seating capacity of 18-19 000 like the Fargodome to help our program grow.

Last night on the Fighting Sioux Coaches show, Lennon talked about the new turf which was placed at Memorial Stadium. He also talked about upgrades to the Memorial stadium complex...specifically crowning the natural grass field and the addition of an inside practice facility.

Last night on the Fighting Sioux Coaches show, Lennon talked about the new turf which was placed at Memorial Stadium. He also talked about upgrades to the Memorial stadium complex...specifically crowning the natural grass field and the addition of an inside practice facility.

So what do you think? Renovation of memorial stadium. Possibly making it indoors or what? Maybe connect it to the parking tamp (reason for bridge to nowhere) and add TONS of seating or what?