SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

The ideal option for basketball long-term is a new facility. Yes, there are other options, but none of them fit very well. That's why the Betty, and the lack of foresight it represents, was such a waste of donated dollars.

When the Betty was built, it was intended to be a practice facility for basketball.

Seems Minnesota and Michigan have 3 separate arenas, 1 for hockey, 1 for bball, and 1 for vball/wrestling/gymnastics.

IE, Minnesota has Marriuci/Williams/Pavilion, Michigan has Yost/Crisler/Cliff Keen

But then Wisconsin and Ohio State play both basketball and hockey in their larger arena.

So it looks like your options are to either build a new bball only arena or play in the Ralph. Either way, Betty is going to be mostly vball with maybe some women's bball.

Do you honestly think that alumni are going to build UND a new 20-25k stadium with a retractable roof AND a new 6-8k bball arena AND a new indoor facility?

Come on.

That'd probably be 300 million altogether.

Probably not all at once no. But why can't we invision the future? :ohmy:

110 + million dollar hockey rink on the campus of UND in the great state of North Dakota.

I think that was a vision. ;)

Probably not all at once no. But why can't we invision the future? :ohmy:

110 + million dollar hockey rink on the campus of UND in the great state of North Dakota.

I think that was a vision. ;)

I agree.

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! This could soon become a Bison vs. Sioux smacktalk thread. Lets not do that folks...

Question:

If you had your own on-campus (retractable roof :ohmy: ) dome, why would you need a separate indoor training facility?

At Syracuse:

Although the Dome is most fondly known to football fans for its turf field, it is also a showcase for SU's nationally ranked basketball team, the seven-time NCAA Champion men's lacrosse team, the women's lacrosse squad and the track and field teams. In addition, the Dome's multi-purpose facility is adaptable to staging events ranging from the annual spring commencement to concerts ...

Is HE worth that much? Is the company going to sponsor a stadium?

Coach Lennon has been pretty happy lately being his season just ended...

I think the reason Lennon has been happy lately is because the Master Plan will be going to President Kupchella soon and once he signs off on the Facility Plans, they will be released to the public. I believe the football stadium drawing is what Lennon was referring to when he said details will be released soon that have the WOW Factor.

Now, if they just find "someone" who can step up and make the plans a reality.

If by some miracle a person steps and donates 200 million, at the very least UND will not own the facility.

Then there is the other way of thinking.

If by some miracle (I wouldn't be surprised cause its already happened at UND and we are now seeing all those successful business majors UND has produced) someone gives UND $200 Million and tells them here: "have my money and build a sweet on campus football stadium."

UND will indeed own the facility.

So what makes you think a donor is going to give money to UND to build a football stadium?

I didn't say one was going to. I simply pointed that your assumption of

"If a person steps and donates 200 million, at the very least UND will not own the facility."

was wrong and that UND could indeed easily "own the facility." Not that it really matters one way or the other.

But since you asked. What makes me think a donor is going to give UND money to help build them a football stadium? Personally, I have no idea the motives behind why people with a lot of money decide to become philanthropists.

If I were to guess, I am going to say that person likes UND and especially likes UND football. Maybe was even a former player and enjoys seeing the team and program succeed. Just a guess. :)

Any other intrinsic questions? :D

So going by your logic, Ralph never gave UND 100 million.

He decided that he would build a 100 million arena and then let UND play there.

Whatever that situation is, what I'm saying is that you'd have the exact same situation with the new football stadium.

It would be on UND land but UND would not own or operate it.

So going by your logic, Ralph never gave UND 100 million.

He decided that he would build a 100 million arena and then let UND play there.

Whatever that situation is, what I'm saying is that you'd have the exact same situation with the new football stadium.

It would be on UND land but UND would not own or operate it.

What I am saying is: why are you assuming these things? Why do you believe since Ralph didn't give UND the money to build an arena, a future contributor to a football stadium will do the same thing?

We all know UND right now does not own the Ralph. Ralph Engelstad leased land from UND and build an amazing hockey arena on it.

You are assuming

you'd have the exact same situation with the new football stadium.

I am saying this is obviously wrong. You can't prove this. You can't say that a philanthropist will not give The University of North Dakota $1,000,000,000,000 with the simple notion: "Build yourself a football stadium. Here have my money UND it is yours. All I ask is you build yourself a nice stadium." In this case UND would indeed own the football stadium.

Please stop spreading your statement as if it were gospel which actually deviates from the truth.

I love how someone makes an assumption and then runs with it as if it's irrefutable: " ... won't own it ... " is a classic example.

If " ... won't own it ... " is the assumption you have to make so you can get to sleep at night in your flannel Bison bed sheets, Stevie Walker jersey, and clutching your "ThUNDer the Bison" plushy, so be it.

But don't think folks won't challenge it.

You guys just don't get it. MplsBison is obviously is close personal friends of Ron His Horse Is Thunder and Myles Brand. He knows what they're thinking even before they say it. Therefore, I see no reason to believe that he can't also read the minds of every potential major UND donor. He's that good.

sarcasm.gif

Why do you believe since Ralph didn't give UND the money to build an arena, a future contributor to a football stadium will do the same thing?

All rich guys are the same.

I don't have to make any assumptions. They don't just give that much money out and ask nothing in return.

Just doesn't happen and it won't happen.

Mark Cuban, Bill Gates and any other rich guy are not going to give away that much money with no control over how it's spent.

Plain and simple won't happen.

One of UND's alumni recently gave a large chunk of change to the AC in honor of his father. I believe it was over a million dollars. There are no strings attached.

I understand there is a very large donation planned for UND from this same Alumnus and I am not aware there are strings attached other than I believe it is to go to the College of Business. He has also given generously to Concordia College. This UND alumnus likes to meet those students but I am not aware there are any other strings attached. He has pledged to help UND raise $500,000,000. I am not aware of any strings attached.

I don't know who nor how much is pledged for the athletic department but it does happen and will continue to happen at UND.

Ralph's donation other than it went to UND and it was built under his supervision to avoid the red tape associated with all of the government constuction and bidding requirements etc. No other strings attached that I am aware of. The facility will go to UND at the end of the lease. Specifically the donation has no provisions related to the Fighting Sioux issue. There is a contract and there is nothing in the contract requiring UND to keep the Fighting Sioux name. My guess is that contract is public record.

There are many extremely wealthy people who give very generously to others and there are many UND alumni who have done so and will continue to do so.

Plain and simple it does happen and will continue to happen.

Ralph was going to build a hockey arena on campus that UND would own.

Due to the efforts of the name-change activists, and a silly resolution passed by the legislature, Ralph decided not to turn over ownership to UND right away (as had been planned).

It really didn't have anything to do with rich guys always wanting to control everything.

Others, by their actions, forced his actions.