SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

I would pose this question on bisonville, but since the discussion has been going here for awhile I will ask it here. Does NDSU have an endowment fund set up? And if so, how much money is in the fund? I am also curious if someone could lay out specifically what money in the UND endowment fund is used for at the university? Thanks.

psstt...

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9570

To partially answer your last question, endowments are generally used for two purposes: funding student scholarships and funding professorships and the like. UND, like most universities, has a general scholarship endowment that is used to fund non-specific scholarships like the Presidentials. There are also smaller endowments created by donors for specific types of students. A donor might specify that only a third-year business student from Logan county with a 2.0-3.0 GPA is eligible for a scholarship funded by his or her endowment. Of course, most requirements aren't as silly as that example, but some can be(look into the scholie David Letterman funded at his alma mater). For a list of UND endowments, check out this link.(Sorry, that's supposed to lead you to the UND Foundation Annual Report, but the link's broken. If it wasn't, you'd find a list of all the endowments (there are a lot) but not any specific dollar values. I don't know if those are publicly available.)

Sure its fun to think that some unknown mystery donor is going to give your school one of the largest donations in American history... but realistically its not going to happen.

It already has happened. If I'm not mistaken, the Engelstad's last donation was one of the 10 largest individual donations in American history. I'm not going to say that Betty is going to give another $100 million to UND but you also can't say that UND will never get a historic donation when it has happened recently. And even if we don't get a single donation of $100 million or more, who is to say there isn't a hand full of alumni who can donate $50 million a piece. Until the official campaign is announced, kicked off and more information becomes available this is just message board banter.

Besides, I'd take three $50 Million donations over one donation of $100 million.

These are exciting times at The University of North Dakota!

(Historic footnote: GF had planned on a below grade floor in The Al but Fargodome's flooding adventures, and the notion that putting The Al at grade could have it serve as a shelter or staging area during potential future flooding events, kept the field out of a hole.)

I was reading the history of the Al a while back and was wondering what the original plans looked like. I tried to find something online but wasn't able to. Does anybody know where I could find some renderings/layouts/plans online or even have some that I could get copies of? I have always been interested in architecture.

1997: On April 19, 1997, the City experiences what would be called a 210-year flood event. It forces the evacuation of nearly all 50,000 residents and causes an estimated $1 billion worth of damage. Miraculously, no one is killed in the event, however the city is virtually shut down. The Aurora is put on hold for a short time while City leaders try and rebuild.

1998: The project is redesigned to raise the arena floor (a result of the flood event) and construction proceeds. A foundation-building ceremony is held in July to commemorate the beginning of the project.

For what it is worth....

When I was forunate enough to fly back with Ralph on his plane back in 1997 after winning the NCAA Hockey Div1 National Championship in Milwaukee, Ralph spoke very candidly about what he wanted to see at UND in order for him to donate more money........I will not mention these items now , but all seemed to happen and we ended with the Largest Gift to date of 100 Million (Was originally supposed to be roughly 50 million for arena /50 million as UND saw fit, education ect..., but it all ended up in the Arena).

Ralph also spoke of a wish to be the largest contributor to a University ever.....It would not surprise me if in the future Mr. Engelstads generousity reaches a higher level than most can ever imagine......However with his passing, things can change, so I guess we will all have to just wait and see.......

Ralph also spoke of a wish to be the largest contributor to a University ever.....It would not surprise me if in the future Mr. Engelstads generousity reaches a higher level than most can ever imagine......However with his passing, things can change, so I guess we will all have to just wait and see.......

I might be wrong, but wasn't Ralph's gift the largest athletic gift to a any University in the U.S. until recently when I think I read Oklahoma got like a $175 million+ gift from an alum in the last couple years? Like I said, my memory is foggy. At any rate, the REA must be right up there in the top 5 or so isn't it?

I might be wrong, but wasn't Ralph's gift the largest athletic gift to a any University in the U.S. until recently when I think I read Oklahoma got like a $175 million+ gift from an alum in the last couple years? Like I said, my memory is foggy. At any rate, the REA must be right up there in the top 5 or so isn't it?

Boone Pickens - $165 Million

Boone Pickens - $165 Million

And now for the rest of the story...

NCAA Title Not the Only Victory for Oklahoma State Golf This Year - www.thetaxfoundation.org 05JUN2006

Boone Pickens got a special tax break when he donated $165 million to the sports program at Oklahoma State University, his alma mater, last year, and the school then turned around and invested the money with Pickens' own hedge fund, according to a published report.

The New York Times reported Friday that records show that Pickens' donation spent less than an hour on Dec. 30 in the account of the university's charity, O.S.U. Cowboy Golf Inc., before it was invested in BP Capital Management, a hedge fund controlled by Pickens.

Shrewd...very shrewd.

Is there a difference between being a benefactor and actively purchasing life insurance on an alumnus? IMO...yes. Not that I see it as wrong only that there is a difference.

I agree, you are correct. I would be surprised however if those big alumni donors did not give some sort of permission....?

• 1 month later...

Auburn University Announces Plans To Build New Basketball Arena

What's interesting about Auburn's arena is how the design emphasizes loge box seating and reduces the suites. The loge boxes can still be rented to businesses, with the clients feeling less separate from the game atmosphere. It also gives students bench seating, so they can stand and stomp.

The overall design is intended to help foster a university village atmosphere, with adjacent housing, etc:

The new facility will also serve as more than a sports complex. With over 12,000 square feet of banquet/entertainment space, its design affords ready adaptation into a site for concerts and other cultural events, convocations and other community gatherings. On-campus student housing is being constructed adjacent to the new arena creating a unique "student village" experience.

A 6000 seat version of this arena would fit nicely on the Bronson property. :p:) There has been a curious lull in development there, especially after media reports had indicated a hotel deal was imminent.

East View:

arena-east-view-285.jpg

North View

arena-north-view-285.jpg

Interior:

arena-interior-285.jpg

There has been a curious lull in any kind of information regarding the Master Plan issue. I thought it would come out prior to the end of June. By the way Star, saying that a 6,000 seat arena would look nice on the Bronson property is practically begging aff to come back and quash such talk. :)

Can someone please explain loge seating to me?

I never heard of this before looking at Louisville's plan to expand their stadium to 60k. I thought they mispelled lodge.

I swear every new arena or stadium design has the word "loge" in it now.

Fan Experience, Comfort, & Lighting in Stadium Design

A New Breed of Premium Seats

Constantly innovating and catering to fans, the sports facilities market has seen the introduction of a new breed of premium seats that falls somewhere between traditional club seats and suite offerings.

Dubbed "loge-seating," the seats can be bought in blocks of two or four along a row. Patrons typically sit comfortably in a high-end office chair in a bar-like setting, with access to shared lounge amenities.

This product appears to have hit the sweet spot in the high-end seating market, according to Jon Niemuth, a principal with Ellerbe Becket, as it provides a more attractive offering than a traditional club seat, but still less than the cost of a full-blown suite investment.

"Loge-seating has become quite popular in cities with multiple sports facilities where not everyone can afford or even wants a suite at each of those stadiums," explains Chris DeVolder, project architect, director of sustainable design, 360 Architecture, Kansas City. "You can also rent these seats for a few games per season and not be locked into a long-term suite. Consequently, it's easier for the stadium to sell more of these seats."

At the Ralph, the bar seats would probably be considered loge seating.

At the Ralph, the bar seats would probably be considered loge seating.

Almost, I think. The main difference is the quality/comfort of the actual seat. I think the Ralph uses a standard bar-type high chair w/ back for those seats. Pretty much like you'd find along the bar at most chain bar and grills. In current usage, a loge seat is nicer with some padding and some give. Often, it can swivel and rock a bit. Rather than one long row of seats, they're often grouped together in twos or fours. Often they're tiered like at the Ralph, with bars to set drinks and food on, but some stadiums use the word to simply decribe a better type of seat. Many years ago, the red seats at the Fargodome might have been considered loge seating because of the padding they have. A few years ago, the bar seats at the Ralph would've been loge. Today, you generally see the bar setup with more luxurious seats being called loge. Court-side loge seating is being considered for the new FD arena plan in place of a larger number of suites. I think some in Fargo might be wondering if Fargo is just about suited-out between the FD, Newmann, and the future UP arena. Loge seating with an option to add more suites at a later date might seem like a better deal to the FD Authority. It's all guesses at this point, though.

• 2 weeks later...

GF Herald: UND Softball / Baseball Future

UND will become a Division I athletic program in the fall 2008. The fact that an interim coach for the UND baseball program was hired in the school's final season as a Division II school led to speculation about the future of Sioux baseball.

However, UND athletic director Tom Buning said baseball - and all other non-revenue sports - will not be adversely affected by the Division I move, adding the department is planning for the future in all of its athletic programs.

It would make sense to cut baseball (and I wish NDSU would consider this as well). But softball you'd have a hard time getting rid of because of title IX.

Because UND is apparently sitting very well right now with regard to Title IX, I think it could (not saying it should) cut both baseball and softball and invest whatever scholarships softball currrently has into other women's sports such as swimming, track/cross country, soccer or tennis. I don't know if any of those sports are currently fully-funded, but presumably not all of them are. In other words, I believe you could cut a women's sport, so long as a corresponding men's sport is also cut, and not necessarily run afoul of Title IX.

But it's not about scholarships as much as it's about interests and abilities.

There are three ways to meet Title IX. You've just hit on two of them.

(This is where jimdahl comes in and refreshes my memory on subject.)

But it's not about scholarships as much as it's about interests and abilities.

UND obviously has young women who are interested and able to play softball. I doubt a judge is going to deny them that.

I don't claim to be a Title IX expert, but I think you're misunderstanding what Title IX requires. UND is no more required to have a softball program than NDSU is required to have a swimming program. Besides, like most schools UND uses the "proportionality" test rather than the "interests and abilities" test in order to judge Title IX compliance. Under my scenario, UND's Title IX compliance would be unaffected by a drop of both softball and baseball. Again, I'm not suggesting that this be done--merely that it could without violating Title IX.