SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

It appears as though the new field turf is now being worked on...

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58538&SPID=6384&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204985843&DB_OEM_ID=13500

In the article, there was also mention of a baseball tournament the team would be hosting next spring. Is the schedule out for the baseball team? Anyone know which teams might be participating in this tournament?

“The turf is going to benefit baseball in Grand Forks from the start of spring throughout the summer,” Kraft said. “There will not be as much traffic on the field, there will be a lot of cost savings involved, especially on the maintenance side of things – no more dragging the field, repacking the mound and batter’s box.

“When there are tournaments, like the one UND will host in the spring, the time between games will be cut down dramatically.

It appears as though the new field turf is now being worked on...

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=58538&SPID=6384&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=204985843&DB_OEM_ID=13500

In the article, there was also mention of a baseball tournament the team would be hosting next spring. Is the schedule out for the baseball team? Anyone know which teams might be participating in this tournament?

They had equipment working on the field last week. I'm sure they want to make sure the field is complete before weather becomes an issue this fall. That way they will be able to use it as soon as the snow goes away next spring.

I was at a few of the Sioux games at Kraft this spring. It was definately showing its age.

The UND baseball program will be one of several beneficiaries of the FieldTurf that will cover the entire infield portion of Kraft Field and extend into foul territory all the way to the backstop behind home plate. The renovations will also allow for home plate to move back 20 feet, making the dimensions of the field even larger.

On Sioux Sports Extra last night, Brian Faison was interviewed and he talked about the new infield at Kraft, said that there would be an addition to the Wellness Center to house the tennis program, and said they are "well on their way" to raising the funds for an indoor training facility that will include an 8 lane 300 meter track and a full 100 yard football field that will be built on the site of the old REA..................

• 3 weeks later...

On Sioux Sports Extra last night, Brian Faison was interviewed and he talked about the new infield at Kraft, said that there would be an addition to the Wellness Center to house the tennis program, and said they are "well on their way" to raising the funds for an indoor training facility that will include an 8 lane 300 meter track and a full 100 yard football field that will be built on the site of the old REA..................

That would cost millions. If they do that, they may as well add men's tennis, which BTW is required for the Big Sky.

Just to clarify, Faison was talking about this and not an addition to the UND Wellness Center.

That makes sense. The new Grand Forks Wellness Center will be huge and would include six indoor tennis courts according to those plans.

Well, I just re-watched that episode and Faison did state that they'd be working with GF Parks & Rec on the Tennis facility but WDAZ's pictures and caption that read "UND Wellness Center Addition" lead me to believe that it was UND's wellness center that would get the addition............

Well, I just re-watched that episode and Faison did state that they'd be working with GF Parks & Rec on the Tennis facility but WDAZ's pictures and caption that read "UND Wellness Center Addition" lead me to believe that it was UND's wellness center that would get the addition............

I have personally heard both Faison and John Staley, head of the GF Park District, state that UND tennis would be a tenant at the new Choice Financial Wellness Center at Altru Village (except the full name wasn't used). They are in the last stages of fundraising and should break ground before the snow flies this fall.

I'm too lazy to look through this entire thread, so I'll just ask the question--how much is an indoor practice facility expected to cost?

Youngstown State is building something similar for $11.4 million to what UND proposed: http://www.youtube.com/user/ysusports#p/c/DBECC50AF7C7E7C3/5/YNmsurl4NAE

I do like the 300m track surrounding an almost full 120 yard football field (track clips the corners) facility. Penn State and Akron already have them as well.

• Downvote 1

Kraft Field rededicated

The new infield turf is all complete and apparently there was a rededication held this last weekend. Looks good. Hopefully the funds can continue to be raised to do the outfield next year.

Congratulations and thanks to everyone who got this done. It will be great for UND and Grand Forks to have a facility like this.

Here are all of the photos of the FieldTurf installation.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20101013/SPORTS0202/10130315/

South Dakota State president David Chicoine will present a preliminary facility statement for a new 22,000-seat football stadium and an indoor practice facility with a human performance center. The estimated costs are $55 million and $35 million, respectively.

The University of South Dakota will take the floor next, presenting a preliminary facility statement for a new basketball and volleyball arena with office space plus a DakotaDome renovation that would increase seating capacity to 15,000. The early price tags on those items: $32.5 million and $20 million, respectively.

Interesting that both are 15000 or better, the minimum for FBS play.

SDSU 2025 Athletics Facilities Master Plan

Here is a link to what SDSU is hoping to do with their athletic facilities. If they can accomplish all of that in the next 15 years that will be a pretty impressive athletics complex. They could end up with some pretty impressive FB facilities.

It's nice that they have a document that details their "wish list". I'm sure any school could make a nice plan for $100+ million in facilities.

Getting the Dykhouse facility built is a huge step for them - that's a top level facility for the FCS level. If they can get their indoor practice facility done, that will be huge as well.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...