SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

If UND got another 10 million in donations...it's just not fair!

If that's true, I'd like to see where UND ranks on multimillion dollar donations.

I believe Ralph's gift of the $110 million hockey arena was the biggest gift ever to a University, until Boone Pickens' gift to Oklahoma state surpassed it in 2003 or 2004. There are other posters who may know more of the specifics than me.

• 2 weeks later...
Does the Alerus have a configuration for basketball?

Considering they played the EDC tournaments there a couple weeks back I'd go with "yes". :D

It holds about 9000 for BB. A section of the west grandstand moves east and portable sections go to the north/south ends of the court. Poke around AlerusCenter.com and I'm sure you'll find a floor plan.

They can also set up side-by-side courts. I am pretty sure that the Alerus hosted Class A Boys and Girls State Tournaments at the same time a couple of years ago. IIRC they staggered the start times so that games were being played continuously all day.

They can also set up side-by-side courts. I am pretty sure that the Alerus hosted Class A Boys and Girls State Tournaments at the same time a couple of years ago. IIRC they staggered the start times so that games were being played continuously all day.

Yup 2 years ago they hosted both EDC and State A. They and Fargo take turns with EDC but GF has been hosting it quite a bit (or so it seems). I don't think we will ever see a state B at GF though because most people aren't even to happy with it in Fargo and GF is even less of a bball town.

Yup 2 years ago they hosted both EDC and State A. They and Fargo take turns with EDC but GF has been hosting it quite a bit (or so it seems). I don't think we will ever see a state B at GF though because most people aren't even to happy with it in Fargo and GF is even less of a bball town.

It seems you are correct about GF and the 'B'. There's no mention of GF even being in the conversation for a 'B' rotation in this article.

It seems you are correct about GF and the 'B'. There's no mention of GF even being in the conversation for a 'B' rotation in this article.

Yeah that pretty much sums up what people think. Most want the State Boys B in Bimarck every year but I believe they want a break every once in a while. Minot is pretty much established as the girls B venue while Fargo gets a piece of the pie. I think the state A GF hosted wasn't as well attended as some others but I could be wrong. Its become the thought that GF gets hockey being that it is the only true hockey town in ND, Bismarck will host the Boys B more often with Minot and Fargo also in there, Minot with the Girls B and Fargo and Bismarck rotating State A, depending on what other events each are hosting. Seems to work good for most people.

Yeah that pretty much sums up what people think. Most want the State Boys B in Bimarck every year but I believe they want a break every once in a while. Minot is pretty much established as the girls B venue while Fargo gets a piece of the pie. I think the state A GF hosted wasn't as well attended as some others but I could be wrong. Its become the thought that GF gets hockey being that it is the only true hockey town in ND, Bismarck will host the Boys B more often with Minot and Fargo also in there, Minot with the Girls B and Fargo and Bismarck rotating State A, depending on what other events each are hosting. Seems to work good for most people.

The A tournament in Grand Forks a couple of years ago wasn't particularly well-attended, but there were some extenuating circumstances. For one thing, UND was also hosting the women's basketball regional the same weekend. Also, 4 or 5 inches of snow fell on that Saturday, which didn't exactly encourage travel, even from Fargo (North was in the boy's championship game).

I guess what irritates me somewhat is that it seems many people from the west want EVERY state tournament, in seemingly every sport, in Bismarck for travel reasons. That's presumably not the prevailing view, but it is out there. Yes, it's fairly centrally located, but that's not a good enough reason to eliminate eastern sites from hosting state championships.

On another note, I'm also somewhat puzzled by talk of rotating the state hockey tournament with Fargo once the new arena is built. If Bismarck gets state track every year because the Community Bowl is so much better than every other track facility in the state, shouldn't Grand Forks continue to host hockey every year because the Ralph is one of the premiere arenas in the country? :)

The A tournament in Grand Forks a couple of years ago wasn't particularly well-attended, but there were some extenuating circumstances. For one thing, UND was also hosting the women's basketball regional the same weekend. Also, 4 or 5 inches of snow fell on that Saturday, which didn't exactly encourage travel, even from Fargo (North was in the boy's championship game).

I guess what irritates me somewhat is that it seems many people from the west want EVERY state tournament, in seemingly every sport, in Bismarck for travel reasons. That's presumably not the prevailing view, but it is out there. Yes, it's fairly centrally located, but that's not a good enough reason to eliminate eastern sites from hosting state championships.

On another note, I'm also somewhat puzzled by talk of rotating the state hockey tournament with Fargo once the new arena is built. If Bismarck gets state track every year because the Community Bowl is so much better than every other track facility in the state, shouldn't Grand Forks continue to host hockey every year because the Ralph is one of the premiere arenas in the country? :)

That might end up being just talk................but then who knows. Over the years, the high school hockey attendance (championship games) has run between 6 to 9000 +. The new arena in Fargo is suppose to seat 5 thousand, they would be turning people away.

That might end up being just talk................but then who knows. Over the years, the high school hockey attendance (championship games) has run between 6 to 9000 +. The new arena in Fargo is suppose to seat 5 thousand, they would be turning people away.

As long as there's a gf team in the championship game. I can't remember when there wasn't one.

• 2 weeks later...

Further proof of this sentiment: link

As a Fargo hockey supporter and fan I don't think the State Hockey Tournament should ever be in Fargo. The Ralph is the premier hockey facility in the COUNTRY not just ND and all the kids who qualify should have the opportunity to play there. I remember how excited I was to play in the old Ralph for state. Now I do think that the UP Center should host EDC. The 5000 seat UP Center is a perfect size for that tournament. Plus you could play some of the consolation game next door in the 1500 seat arena (assuming it will be built).

Just my $.02.

I agree with that on a logical basis.

But what is the premier basketball facility in the state? Since, I would assume that class B basketball players should have the opportunity to play in it as hockey players do in the Ralph.

It's been a long time since I've been to the Bismarck Civic Center, but as I recall it's nice enough, but nothing too special. I guess I'm still of the opinion that the attraction of Bismarck as host has much more to do with location than the actual facility, but I guess that's open to debate. As an aside, I've always found it interesting that despite Bismarck's reputation as a basketball town, nobody seems to go to Mary games.

It's been a long time since I've been to the Bismarck Civic Center, but as I recall it's nice enough, but nothing too special. I guess I'm still of the opinion that the attraction of Bismarck as host has much more to do with location than the actual facility, but I guess that's open to debate. As an aside, I've always found it interesting that despite Bismarck's reputation as a basketball town, nobody seems to go to Mary games.

It used to be pretty much a dump but after they completed all of the renovations, it really is a great facility. Seating all the way around, plenty of consessions, really a big time atmosphere. I would say it would be hard to find a better basketball facility that didn't have suites. So yes, Bismarck has the location, facility, and city atmosphere going for it.

Here's a link to the video for the story.

What's with the sudden change in tune? It had crossed my mind before that the sudden talk of an on campus stadium might just be a bargaining threat towards the Alerus Center before the move to DI(and a recruiting move). If they are considering putting the indoor training facility south of the Al that would really commit UND to the Alerus Center and move even more teams/practices farther away from campus.

What's with the sudden change in tune? It had crossed my mind before that the sudden talk of an on campus stadium might just be a bargaining threat towards the Alerus Center before the move to DI(and a recruiting move). If they are considering putting the indoor training facility south of the Al that would really commit UND to the Alerus Center and move even more teams/practices farther away from campus.

They would be foolish to put it off campus.

Wow. Two days in a row you and I agree on something. :D

The idea of putting the practice facility south of the Alerus makes no sense. First, the practice facility is not just for football. It is for the entire athletic program, so you would be making baseball, softball, soccer, etc. also have to trek off property to practice.

Second, the property along the 42nd Avenue corridor is prime real estate. The price for the property alone would be crazy, unless it is being donated.