SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

I agree that it would be crazy to build it at the Alerus Center but as for the price of real estate there keep in mind that if the were to build on the old REA site someone has to remove a building. It may actually be cheaper to aquire land on 42nd street than remove and prep the old REA for new construction.

I agree that it would be crazy to build it at the Alerus Center but as for the price of real estate there keep in mind that if the were to build on the old REA site someone has to remove a building. It may actually be cheaper to aquire land on 42nd street than remove and prep the old REA for new construction.

I would think at some point the old REA would need to come down regardless. It may be a matter of who pays for it to be demolished.

I also don't think next to the Alerus would be the right location since this is a facility that would be used nearly everyday by hundreds of student-athletes and several athletic departments. However I do think that UND should make a long term commitment to keep football in the Alerus.

I would think at some point the old REA would need to come down regardless. It may be a matter of who pays for it to be demolished.

I agree, maybe, it's just the athletic departments means to negotiate with the University so they don't have to foot the bill for the removal of the old REA. My guess is that the removal and prep of that site could be in the millions.

• 3 weeks later...

Do Facilities Help Bring Championships?

Perhaps facilities don't assure championships, but they do help with winning. Would UND have four straight Frozen Four appearances without the Ralph?

Kansas State is a football program with an atrocious past. .... 1989 marked the beginning of Wildcat savior Bill Snyder's tenure, where he would eventually have extraordinary successes at K-State. ... How was he able to attract the better players to his school? Here's a possibility. From 1989 through 1992, their university embarked on a project to revamp their entire football complex. They added improved locker rooms, a 6,500 square foot weight room, state of the art classrooms equipped with the latest in video equipment, a training room, and a players' lounge. They also added what they refer to as a picturesque Big Eight Room. In 1993, they added a new press box, sky suites, and a full length indoor facility. In 1996, the school built a new Academic Learning Center. They also added a Jumbotron, new scoreboard, and a message board to their stadium, and in 1998 they expanded the stadium, adding 8,000 seats and 31 new sky boxes.

Another program that is famous for their turnaround in the last 20 years is Virginia Tech. ... They did not win their first bowl game until 1986, and were 0-5 in bowl games entering that game. In 1983 Bill Dooley had the first 9 win season for the Hokies since 1905, and their first 10 win season ever in 1986. ... Frank Beamer took over the Head Coaching duties in 1987, and only had two winning seasons in his first 6 years. ... Facility upgrades at Virginia Tech were similar to the improvements made in Manhattan. Expansion and improvements have occurred regularly since 1980. In that year, the capacity was increased from 35,000 to over 52,000. A new lighting system was also installed allowing night games to be televised. In 1989, a new paint job added the maroon and orange stripes to the stadium (sound familiar?). 1994 saw the renovation of seven lower sections, including the replacement of concrete risers.

And finally, take a look at the Oregon Ducks. Their porgram was horrific in the 70s and 80s. From 1971 to 1984, they only managed two winning seasons and never won more than six games in a single season. ... It took Brooks even longer then either Snyder or Beamer. He actually arrived in Oregon for the 1977 season and managed only four wins in his first two seasons. It took him 13 seasons to get his team into a bowl. He eventually led the Ducks to 4 bowl games and culminated his tenure on the Oregon sideline with a PAC-10 championship in 1994 and a Rose Bowl appearance where they lost to Penn St 38-20. ... Major renovations began in 1989, when Oregon added a three-story building to the north side of the stadium. The building included 381 seats and twelve luxury suites on the second and third tiers. On the first tier, concessions and new restrooms were completed. A new press box was added to the south side of the stadium. In 1991, a new athletics center was built on the west side, and in 1999, a sports center was added to the southwest side. In 1998, a new Opto-tech Megavision scoreboard was purchased at the cost of $4 million. A new main entrance was built with improvements to all entrances. This was done to facilitate entering and exiting of the stadium. The Master Plan also addressed circulation, parking, transit capacity, accessibility, and improved restrooms. Recently, an $89.7 million project was completed. The project saw the capacity increased by 12,000, bringing it to 54,000. 32 sky boxes ...

Clearly this is not to suggest that the only way to build a successful program is by improving facilities. This is simply an attempt to point out the similarities in a few programs that have become more successful over the last 25 years. Each school has gone through significant facility upgrades with the intention of attracting better athletes to their school.

If your going to spend 25 million on a state of the art practice facility don't hide it. Show case your University. When potential students and other visitors come to UND put it right in there face just like the Ralph. No matter where it is the athletes will get there. Look where they play softball and baseball a mile off campus. Let's hope it happens.

According to WDAZ news last night Sioux football will be playing at the Alerus for the next 10 years. If attendance grows beyond Phil Harmeson said that they would meet that situation head on. Steve Hyman of the Alerus Center said with a smile, "I believe it just the beginning of other sports activities that you will see come to Alerus from UND".

Does this sound like lacrosse, Sica? :D

... Steve Hyman of the Alerus Center said with a smile, "I believe it just the beginning of other sports activities that you will see come to Alerus from UND".

Does this sound like lacrosse, Sica? :D

You're such a tease, taunting me with the notion of lax again. :lol:

To me that actually sounds more like M/W BB for the short-term.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hearing any news on the construction of the practice facility? I'm in the construction industry and have been watching the price of steel climb. We are involved in a project that the owner was told act quickly or the size of your project will get smaller due to the ever increasing price of steel. I'm sure fuel prices aren't helping the cost of construction, either.

When a football team that doesn't even exist yet (South Alabama begins play in 2010) is set to begin construction on an indoor facility, I get impatient. (Then again, I haven't contributed, but no one has asked. :D )

South Alabama football gets a field house of dreams

I do recognize that North Dakota requires funding to be fully available before building.

The University of South Alabama announced Thursday that construction of the USA Football Field House will begin within a month and a Football Support Club has been formed to raise funds for the program.

Wayne Davis, USA vice president for financial affairs, said during a press conference at the Mitchell Center that construction on the 40,000-square-foot facility should begin in June and be complete within a year.

BTW, since USA will be an independent IAA program until they join the IA Sunbelt ranks in 2013, UND should set up some home/homes with USA. Georgia St (which is also starting football in 2010) might be another scheduling possibility.

EERC's new hydrogen facility already short on space

But the National Center for Hydrogen Technology, which dates to 2004, has had so much demand for hydrogen projects that the EERC expects to expand the North Dakota Centers for Excellence program and its facilities in the future.

"We're going to make quick use of the building and we are already looking at how we are going to expand that because we have so many projects going on there," said Mike Holmes, deputy associate director for research at the EERC and the director of the National Center for Hydrogen Technology. "The outlook for hydrogen projects continues to be very promising. We are growing and looking at our future options."

Is the reason that there is discussion about putting the practice facility next to the Alerus because the National Hydrogen Center is going to be expanded and needs more room?

siteplan.jpg

That may be the case, but doesn't it make sense to have the entire football operations at the Alerus instead of Memorial?
The UNDEERC has ample land north and east. They could expand into their parking lot and pave other open land.

One possible reason that UND could consider building aa practice facility at the Alerus is that such an expanision, if built on the south side, could double as additional mobile seating. Therefore, the 15,000 seat stadium threshold would be available near-term, if ever needed.

Here is a new twist...Oklahoma State is taking out life insurance polices on 25 wealthy alumni to the tune of $250 MILLION.

Oklahoma State Univ. insures sports future - latimes.com 26MAR2007

:lol:

Pickens ups the ante once again...

Division I Notes - www.ncaa.org

Oklahoma State received another large donation from billionaire T. Boone Pickens, this time for the academic side of the institution. He announced last week that he will give $100 million for endowed chairs and professorships at the institution. The donation is expected to fund more than 150 positions and comes just two years after Pickens gave $165 million to the Cowboys athletics department. Pickens has donated about $400 million to Oklahoma St

• 2 weeks later...

Way back in this thread there was talk about a hotel being built on the Bronson property. It looks as though the project is finally moving.

Developers plan Courtyard by Marriott on Bronson Property

“We haven’t finalized a lease agreement with the Heggs,” Rick Tonder, UND’s associate director of facilities and planning, said Monday. “But we haven’t been talking with anyone else, either. I don’t see any storm clouds right now, but we haven’t signed any documents.” The future approximately 100-room hotel would be located just north of Suite 49 on Ralph Engelstad Arena Drive near the famed hockey arena.

Yes...fair amount of space still left. Basically everything east of motel, gas station, and behind the strip mall. There are plenty of things still in the works. Also....phase III of the townhomes is in the loop somewhere.

If anybody wants to look at something neat they are building a walking bridge (golf carts too) from phase I to phase II over the coulee. Nice feature many people won't even see or us.

• 1 month later...
Apartment complex planned near Ralph Engelstad Arena
A three-story, two-building, 77-unit apartment complex is planned for the Bronson Property near Ralph Engelstad Arena.
Dakota Commercial and Development is developing the connected two-building, 77-unit apartment complex just north of a strip of retail stores in the University Village development west of Columbia Road and south of Gateway Drive. Construction is set to begin soon, and the apartments are planned to open in time for the start of the 2009 fall semester.

• 5 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any word on the proposed Practice Facility? I have mentioned previously the price of steel is driving up the costs on construction projects. One project which I'm working on has gone back for complete redesign to get rid of the steel and build it out of concrete. I received notification from a vendor yesterday that all products would see a 10-12% increase later this month due to the world-wide demand for steel.

Here is an interesting link showing a couple of UND projects, including the practice facility. It also has a couple of possible projects for downtown GF.

• 2 weeks later...
Boone Pickens - $165 Million

And now for the rest of the story...

NCAA Title Not the Only Victory for Oklahoma State Golf This Year - www.thetaxfoundation.org 05JUN2006

Shrewd...very shrewd.

Pickens missed market turn, his funds lose big - www.reuters.com

T. Boone Pickens took a wrong turn and it has cost him dearly as oil prices have tumbled, resulting in roughly $1 billion in losses for one of his energy-focused hedge funds, the Texas energy tycoon told Reuters on Wednesday.

That fund is managed by BP Capital LLC.

I wonder how much OSU lost?