SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

Looks like SDSU has a donor ready for a new football stadium:

Brookings Register: New Stadium for the Jacks

Last month, SDSU President David Chicoine presented a preliminary facility statement to the South Dakota Board of Regents. It highlighted plans for a new football stadium with a price tag of $55 million and a new indoor practice facility with a human performance lab that would cost about $35 million.

The indoor practice and human performance facility is listed in the opportunities for donors in the SDSU Foundation's $200 million "It Starts With State" fundraising campaign; the stadium is not.

The stadium would feature seating for 22,000 plus suites, a press box, synthetic turf, visiting locker rooms and concessions.

Looks like SDSU has a donor ready for a new football stadium:

Brookings Register: New Stadium for the Jacks

I read it as the stadium is further down the road than the indoor practice facility and the human performance lab based on this sentence:

No fundraising for the stadium has started because university officials are only in the datagathering process and waiting for the go-ahead from the Board of Regents.

If they aren't fundraising because they already have a donor, probably will see Daktronics Stadium in Brookings. Or maybe Sanford Stadium. He's buying and naming everything else. wink.gif

Any idea what kind of turf? I hope they are able to go with Field turf but I know there were concerns about cost, storage and ability to change it out quickly.

I have a friend who has worked at UND for 30 years who told me he has seen drawings and a model of a new on campus outdoor stadium. The current west side stadium of Memorial stays and becomes the west end zone seating. The field is turned 90 degrees running east and west, with a large high walled horseshoe around the other 3 sides. The have supposedly postponed plans to tear down the old Ralph because other groups on campus would like to have that space. The new field would run to where the Ralph currently sits, so they put a stop to tearing down the Ralph until a new on campus stadium gets announced. He said he was told they are waiting on a couple of committments from super donors before any public announcement. Anyone else hear anything like this?

The on campus stadium has been out there for a while in a couple of different versions. Some links for the future of UND Athletics....

UND is planning for the future

No horseshoe stadium for UND

You can also go to JLG Architects website and hit the following links... The Work.... Hockey/Sports.... UND Athletics Master Plan.

Is this a recent conversation that you had regarding the stadium project??

I have a friend who has worked at UND for 30 years who told me he has seen drawings and a model of a new on campus outdoor stadium. The current west side stadium of Memorial stays and becomes the west end zone seating. The field is turned 90 degrees running east and west, with a large high walled horseshoe around the other 3 sides. The have supposedly postponed plans to tear down the old Ralph because other groups on campus would like to have that space. The new field would run to where the Ralph currently sits, so they put a stop to tearing down the Ralph until a new on campus stadium gets announced. He said he was told they are waiting on a couple of committments from super donors before any public announcement. Anyone else hear anything like this?

The on campus stadium has been out there for a while in a couple of different versions. Some links for the future of UND Athletics....

UND is planning for the future

No horseshoe stadium for UND

You can also go to JLG Architects website and hit the following links... The Work.... Hockey/Sports.... UND Athletics Master Plan.

Is this a recent conversation that you had regarding the stadium project??

he's a current UND employee and told me about it at the UC Davis game. He made it sound like a $$$$ announcement would be made this fall some time.

Just trying to get a visual. Is there enough room to have one side next to 2nd Ave N. and the other side running from the current endzone to the railroad tracks? With a north wind running sideways it doesn't give either team an advantage. Any info on the roof or no roof?

I really don't see this happening for the next 20 to 30 years. I think their focus is to finish raising the money for a practice facility. They have a long term lease with Alerus- we have yet to show anything as far as sustaining attendance at near maximum Alerus Center levels. In my mind in order to support a new stadium we would have to have a student enrollment of 18,000 to 20,000 of which we would roughly 4 to 5 thousand to be regular attendees. On top of that you would need to increase regional attendance of which for good games is already drawing maximum interest. I'm selling this as dreams. Dreams are good but in this case thats all that it is. I will believe it when I see it.

I really don't see this happening for the next 20 to 30 years. I think their focus is to finish raising the money for a practice facility. They have a long term lease with Alerus- we have yet to show anything as far as sustaining attendance at near maximum Alerus Center levels. In my mind in order to support a new stadium we would have to have a student enrollment of 18,000 to 20,000 of which we would roughly 4 to 5 thousand to be regular attendees. On top of that you would need to increase regional attendance of which for good games is already drawing maximum interest. I'm selling this as dreams. Dreams are good but in this case thats all that it is. I will believe it when I see it.

Actually we have 9 years left of our current lease with the Alerus. 9 years is NOT long term. Also look at Montana their enrollment is 15,642 (http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_7b4f48ce-ca59-11df-8c2d-001cc4c03286.html) UND is at 13,431. Their "outdoor" stadium is 25,203 and packed. Missoula has a population of 64,081 (2009 est.). Just a bit bigger than Grand Forks. Why wouldn't we pack the stadium if we have national title type teams. Show a great product and people will want to see it.

The 10-year lease was signed in March 2009, meaning that the 2009 and 2010 seasons were under the new lease agreement. Eight more football seasons remain on the lease, unless there is some sort of buyout clause.

I'm not sure how long of a time line construction would be for the demolition of the old Ralph, building the practice facility and other pieces of the puzzle. I could wait 8 years for the dream facilities. :D

Actually we have 9 years left of our current lease with the Alerus. 9 years is NOT long term. Also look at Montana their enrollment is 15,642 (http://missoulian.com/news/local/article_7b4f48ce-ca59-11df-8c2d-001cc4c03286.html) UND is at 13,431. Their "outdoor" stadium is 25,203 and packed. Missoula has a population of 64,081 (2009 est.). Just a bit bigger than Grand Forks. Why wouldn't we pack the stadium if we have national title type teams. Show a great product and people will want to see it.

Two factors not addressed:

1) Football is the "cool, place-to-be" sport at Montana. Hockey has that status at UND. At schools and communities our size, it is difficult (not impossible) to have two "in" sports that most fans feel they need to attend.

2) Bozeman and Missoula are 200+ miles apart. I am sure that there are a lot of "football fans" (who weren't originally UM fans) who have season tickets. With Fargo and GF being 70 miles apart, true FB fans have already picked to follow one or the other - or they may go to a game once in a while at both schools. I don't think there are 10,000 more fans who will readily become regular attendees at UND FB games. Obviously, an exciting, winning program will bring in a lot more people but I question if we could put 20,000 fans in the stands on a regular basis anytime soon.

I would love to be wrong with this assessment.

BTW, UND's enrollment is now at 14,194.

Two factors not addressed:

1) Football is the "cool, place-to-be" sport at Montana. Hockey has that status at UND. At schools and communities our size, it is difficult (not impossible) to have two "in" sports that most fans feel they need to attend.

2) Bozeman and Missoula are 200+ miles apart. I am sure that there are a lot of "football fans" (who weren't originally UM fans) who have season tickets. With Fargo and GF being 70 miles apart, true FB fans have already picked to follow one or the other - or they may go to a game once in a while at both schools. I don't think there are 10,000 more fans who will readily become regular attendees at UND FB games. Obviously, an exciting, winning program will bring in a lot more people but I question if we could put 20,000 fans in the stands on a regular basis anytime soon.

I would love to be wrong with this assessment.

Look at the REA. The old one was half empty in the 80's. Due to a non-consistant winning program and same with the early to mid 90's. Now you get a state of the art facility plus a kick @ss program that is in the playoffs every year and you sell out the place. Football could do that too. Especially if you have night games in Sept. (when the weather is still nice) and day games in the afternoon plus a hockey game that night in Oct, and Nov. I think we could put 20,000 fans as the population of eastern North Dakota increases the fans will increase too as long as tickets are not sky high. The Alerus averaged over 10,000 its championship year and the Ralph over 11,000. Both buildings were new, and both had championship teams. I am definately on the Memorial Stadium upgrade train!!! All abord.

Look at the REA. The old one was half empty in the 80's. Due to a non-consistant winning program and same with the early to mid 90's. Now you get a state of the art facility plus a kick @ss program that is in the playoffs every year and you sell out the place. Football could do that too. Especially if you have night games in Sept. (when the weather is still nice) and day games in the afternoon plus a hockey game that night in Oct, and Nov. I think we could put 20,000 fans as the population of eastern North Dakota increases the fans will increase too as long as tickets are not sky high. The Alerus averaged over 10,000 its championship year and the Ralph over 11,000. Both buildings were new, and both had championship teams. I am definately on the Memorial Stadium upgrade train!!! All abord.

It would be outstanding if this happened!

The 10-year lease was signed in March 2009, meaning that the 2009 and 2010 seasons were under the new lease agreement. Eight more football seasons remain on the lease, unless there is some sort of buyout clause.

I'm not sure how long of a time line construction would be for the demolition of the old Ralph, building the practice facility and other pieces of the puzzle. I could wait 8 years for the dream facilities. :D

I work at UND and have heard discussions involving people way above my pay grade about an alumni who "is going to do for football what Ralph did for hockey". They are very tightlipped about it and I don't have any details, (and I tried to get them) but it makes me wonder what could be coming.

I work at UND and have heard discussions involving people way above my pay grade about an alumni who "is going to do for football what Ralph did for hockey". They are very tightlipped about it and I don't have any details, (and I tried to get them) but it makes me wonder what could be coming.

If UND gets a new stadium just think of the jealousy talk 70 miles south! They are envious that the Alerus was getting new turf and the Fargodome wasn't, just think once they get their new turf we get a new football stadium. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!

All of the talk/rumors about a new football stadium are nice but remember that they are just that...rumors. Especially those posted on an anonymous message board. These rumors have been floating around for a few years now. Unless someone has a link or can provide proof, I will temper my enthusiasm. And I'm not talking about links to an architects renderings. I'm not trying to be a "negative nelly," just a realist. Donations such as the Ralph don't happen very often.

All of the talk/rumors about a new football stadium are nice but remember that they are just that...rumors. Especially those posted on an anonymous message board. These rumors have been floating around for a few years now. Unless someone has a link or can provide proof, I will temper my enthusiasm. And I'm not talking about links to an architects renderings. I'm not trying to be a "negative nelly," just a realist. Donations such as the Ralph don't happen very often.

Agreed. I for one would like to see some concrete info be forthcoming on this subject. Maybe now with the conference issue resolved UND can move forward. I also think that it would not have to be funded only by one donor. I for one would be willing to step up my giving for an extended period if something firm came together. For example, and I apologize to anyone who really cannot afford it: Over a 10 year period 500 annual gifts of $1000 each would generate $50,000,000. For this type of future program combined with a major donor, could it fly, would it be enough? I think so, but this would be on top of current giving so maybe not. I thought this was the announcement at Homecoming. Maybe this is too ambitious, but I hope someone on campus is thinking like this. I am not getting any younger. Am I nuts?

Yes, remember the Ignite the Spirit rumors? Would be great if something came about, but let's get the Alerus packed first. If you look at the trend of students not supporting football like they used to in both Fargo and Grand Forks, it would be foolish to start on such a project without evidence that they can support the present facility. To be quite honest it bothers me that people need to see the Montana's, NDSU's, etc. in order to want to attend football at the Alerus. I can understand out of town people looking at what games they might want to attend, but there should be more people in town that attend, no matter the opponent. If the hockey team can just about sell out for exhibition games against Manitoba, I see no reason why they can't sustain attendance of at least 10,000 at football games. Maybe they could create a priority points system for students that would allow them better seating at hockey if they have points from attendance at other sporting events. I know they pay the money for activity fees, and they have different priorities, but a points system worked for the general public in transitioning to the new arena, which included points for holding tickets in other sports besides hockey. Hopefully moving to the Big Sky will spark the excitement without the need to coerce people into supporting other sports.

Yes, remember the Ignite the Spirit rumors? Would be great if something came about, but let's get the Alerus packed first. If you look at the trend of students not supporting football like they used to in both Fargo and Grand Forks, it would be silly to start on such a project without evidence that they can support the present facility. To be quite honest it bothers me that people need to see the Montana's, NDSU's, etc. in order to want to attend football at the Alerus. I can understand out of town people looking at what games they might want to attend, but there should be more people in town that attend, no matter the opponent. If the hockey team can just about sell out for exhibition games against Manitoba, I see no reason why they can't sustain attendance of at least 10,000 at football games. Maybe they could create a priority points system for students that would allow them better seating at hockey if they have points from attendance at other sporting events. I know they pay the money for activity fees, and they have different priorities, but a points system worked for the general public in transitioning to the new arena, which included points for holding tickets in other sports besides hockey. Hopefully moving to the Big Sky will spark the excitement without the need to coerce people into supporting other sports.

The University of Dayton has such a system. Their MBB program is top notch and they have limited seats so the students have to go to other games i.e. SB, VB, WBB, etc and get points toward seating at the MBB games. If you do not have enough points, you do not get tickets to the mens BB games. Makes it kind of interesting.

Yes, remember the Ignite the Spirit rumors? Would be great if something came about, but let's get the Alerus packed first. If you look at the trend of students not supporting football like they used to in both Fargo and Grand Forks, it would be foolish to start on such a project without evidence that they can support the present facility. To be quite honest it bothers me that people need to see the Montana's, NDSU's, etc. in order to want to attend football at the Alerus. I can understand out of town people looking at what games they might want to attend, but there should be more people in town that attend, no matter the opponent. If the hockey team can just about sell out for exhibition games against Manitoba, I see no reason why they can't sustain attendance of at least 10,000 at football games. .

IMO it is all about wins & losses. Back in the early 90's the Hyslop was the place to be because the men's basketball program was the top notch sport at UND, at a time when hockey and football were down. Attendance to men's basketball rivaled and even outdrew hockey during that time. Men's basketball has been rather insignificant since the mid-90's and attendance has suffered while during the same time hockey from the mid-90's on and football from 2001-2007 experience great success and both programs have recorded record attendance throughout those periods.

Great facilities have helped a great deal, of course. I shutter to think what attendance at football could have dropped to the last two seasons if we were playing at Memorial. When trying to make the facility arguement, the Betty is a great example. When comparing to our DI peers in the Big Sky, the Summit, or the Great West, it is probably among the finest basketball venues that any school from one of those leagues would step into, but since moving in we've drawn diddly-squat by our standards because we've had mostly bad teams playing in there.

Agreed. I for one would like to see some concrete info be forthcoming on this subject. Maybe now with the conference issue resolved UND can move forward. I also think that it would not have to be funded only by one donor. I for one would be willing to step up my giving for an extended period if something firm came together. For example, and I apologize to anyone who really cannot afford it: Over a 10 year period 500 annual gifts of $1000 each would generate $50,000,000. For this type of future program combined with a major donor, could it fly, would it be enough? I think so, but this would be on top of current giving so maybe not. I thought this was the announcement at Homecoming. Maybe this is too ambitious, but I hope someone on campus is thinking like this. I am not getting any younger. Am I nuts?

You may want to check your math. If only it were that simple. ;)

A new football stadium is going to take a major donor to spearhead the project and put up millions of real and current dollars. By all accounts, an indoor practice facility is the top priority for the athletic department and the only athletic project even discussed in the Ignite the Spirit campaign. I