SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

I hesitate to provide this info as I would guess there have been some changes in the renderings since I received them.

It appears to be an extremely impressive facility. Some details:

[*]More than 140,000 sq ft

[*]Full 100 yd FB field with separate 20 yd area working area for linemen

[*]300 yd track with eight 42" lanes

[*]60 ft high with videotaping towers

[*]Two levels of offices, weight rooms, meeting rooms, sports medicine facilities, locker rooms, storage etc. (It is nice to see plenty of storage space after the Betty was built with "none'!)

I suppose $ will determine whether this can all be done a once or if many of the items listed in the last bullet will be completed at a later date. I recommend that they formally launch a fund raising effort when the plans are announced. I think many of us will be willing to assist to complete the building "right" the first time rather than have it be an ongoing project for the next few years.

Folks - it sure appears that this will be an outstanding facility. It will be a tremendous tool for recruiting and for practice/game preparation.

Again - the above details may have been altered since I received my copy of the plans.

Thanks. I hope they do it right. Check book at the ready.

Maybe with gold escalating like it is, a certain mine owner is looking to invest some of his fortune in UND football. ;)

Thanks. I hope they do it right. Check book at the ready.

Maybe with gold escalating like it is, a certain mine owner is looking to invest some of his fortune in UND football. ;)

Or maybe a certain owner of an NHL team just north of the ND border.

I drove by the site today and noticed that the utility companies have marked out their lines but no work has started. I imagine the first thing that will happen is the old ralph getting torn down. I was thinking though if they really want to start building the actual facility they would have to tear down memorial stadium so would the football team get kicked over to practice in the alerus?

I hesitate to provide this info as I would guess there have been some changes in the renderings since I received them.

It appears to be an extremely impressive facility. Some details:

[*]More than 140,000 sq ft

[*]Full 100 yd FB field with separate 20 yd area working area for linemen

[*]300 yd track with eight 42" lanes

[*]60 ft high with videotaping towers

[*]Two levels of offices, weight rooms, meeting rooms, sports medicine facilities, locker rooms, storage etc. (It is nice to see plenty of storage space after the Betty was built with "none'!)

I suppose $ will determine whether this can all be done a once or if many of the items listed in the last bullet will be completed at a later date. I recommend that they formally launch a fund raising effort when the plans are announced. I think many of us will be willing to assist to complete the building "right" the first time rather than have it be an ongoing project for the next few years.

Folks - it sure appears that this will be an outstanding facility. It will be a tremendous tool for recruiting and for practice/game preparation.

Again - the above details may have been altered since I received my copy of the plans.

Youngstown just built the same exact facility, minus the last bullet, for about $12 million:

WATTSOutside.jpg?max_height=340&max_width=536WATTSinside.jpg?max_height=340&max_width=536

With the last bullet added in, $20-25 million sounds right.

Yeah but obviously the investment would be well worth it. NDSU can't practice in the Fargodome anytime they please. That's hardly the case, in fact I don't think the Fargodome likes having to cater to NDSU on the days they aren't playing games there. NDSU could really use a dedicated indoor field. The baseball, softball and soccer teams would benefit as well.

Seems very short-sighted.

I read a post either here or on bisonville saying that the arena upgrades to the BSA are only going to be 3-4 million of the overall 28 million improvement. So other than the arena upgrades, new bball practice facility and new weight room/training facility - I'd like to see the money go toward expanding the indoor track building from 200m to 300m and putting a field in the middle. Just makes too much sense. The other updates can wait or be cancelled.

I just read the article about the contribution by Stop and Go to make the Indoor Track Facility a go. So if I understand this right, NDSU is going to spend all that money on strictly a track facility that has a couple nets for golf and baseball. Really? They aren't going to put turf in it and make it a facility for football, there most important sport? So football doesn't have an Indoor Practice Facility after all of this stuff is built? If I am Craig Bohl I am not happy.

As a UND fan I hope NDSU spends millions and millions of dollars on Track, Wrestling, Baseball, Golf, Softball - those sports are money pits that return minimal to nothing.

It is apparent how lucky we are here. Our facilities were already built for us so the Indoor Facility that is going to be built soon is simply adding on extra's to make everything even better.

I just read the article about the contribution by Stop and Go to make the Indoor Track Facility a go. So if I understand this right, NDSU is going to spend all that money on strictly a track facility that has a couple nets for golf and baseball. Really? They aren't going to put turf in it and make it a facility for football, there most important sport? So football doesn't have an Indoor Practice Facility after all of this stuff is built? If I am Craig Bohl I am not happy.

As a UND fan I hope NDSU spends millions and millions of dollars on Track, Wrestling, Baseball, Golf, Softball - those sports are money pits that return minimal to nothing.

It is apparent how lucky we are here. Our facilities were already built for us so the Indoor Facility that is going to be built soon is simply adding on extra's to make everything even better.

Even a 200m track could have turf in the middle a decent area, maybe a 50 yd field with a full endzone and 3/4th the standard width? It would be something, at least.

But nope, the infield will be entirely dedicated to track - so they can have long jump/triple jump runways, 60 yd dash run way, pole vault runway, high jump area and shot put/weight throw area. Completely short sighted.

For a measly $7 million more they could have what I posted above like Youngstown.

I would rank NDSU's needs like this:

1) bball practice facility addition to the BSA - $10 million?

2) BSA arena updates - $4 million

2) indoor 300m track/field house - $12 million

3) new weight room/training room addition to the BSA - $5 million?

So there you go - that's $31 million. Darn shame...

Even a 200m track could have turf in the middle a decent area, maybe a 50 yd field with a full endzone and 3/4th the standard width? It would be something, at least.

But nope, the infield will be entirely dedicated to track - so they can have long jump/triple jump runways, 60 yd dash run way, pole vault runway, high jump area and shot put/weight throw area. Completely short sighted.

For a measly $7 million more they could have what I posted above like Youngstown.

I would rank NDSU's needs like this:

1) bball practice facility addition to the BSA - $10 million?

2) BSA arena updates - $4 million

2) indoor 300m track/field house - $12 million

3) new weight room/training room addition to the BSA - $5 million?

So there you go - that's $31 million. Darn shame...

I am still trying to wrap my head around this. 5 million dollars for a Track Facility - in North Dakota. Do they realize they will never ever be near the top of the track world no matter how hard they try. And even if they do get good nationally, what does that get you? Nothing. The sport is worthless, it gets very little media coverage and no revenue. To not make it viable for football is stupid.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this. 5 million dollars for a Track Facility - in North Dakota. Do they realize they will never ever be near the top of the track world no matter how hard they try. And even if they do get good nationally, what does that get you? Nothing. The sport is worthless, it gets very little media coverage and no revenue. To not make it viable for football is stupid.

NDSU has track?? Look out Olympics. :lol:

Why not get the money for that garage they call a basketball arena, then work on improving their football practice facilities or better yet get some cash to move out of the Fargodome into a bigger stadium.

About a year ago I heard Faison say to do an indoor facilty "right" would be $19-20 million.

I have been traveling, has anyone actually "seen" an "official" announcement that the practice facility is a real "go"? I would think a project of this size would be the subect of a very large news release if it was a done deal.

Why not get the money for that garage they call a basketball arena, then work on improving their football practice facilities or better yet get some cash to move out of the Fargodome into a bigger stadium.

NDSU has had a very good track program for years, unlike UND which has not made track and field a priority. I think that is changing. UND hired a new coach, that turned the Northern Colorado program around. That hire was one of the indicators to me that UND was moving forward with the indoor practice facility.

I have been traveling, has anyone actually "seen" an "official" announcement that the practice facility is a real "go"? I would think a project of this size would be the subect of a very large news release if it was a done deal.

The official announcement is coming up in the next month or so. Thanks to some previous projects that went waaaaaay over budget, everything has to be approved now, with money in hand.

The point is to get the indoor track out of the BSA arena, so they can upgrade the arena into a full-time bball arena.

But you're right that to not make the indoor track capable of housing an indoor field - just stupid.

And I hope that UND continues to have the mentality that hockey is the only sport that really matters . . . that is good for NDSU. NDSU believes in a balanced approach to Division I athletics, and is very proud of the several top 10 national finishes in track and field, including a runner up national champion. Ncaa berths in soccer, softball, and volleyball do not take a back seat to football.

• Downvote 1

And I hope that UND continues to have the mentality that hockey is the only sport that really matters . . . that is good for NDSU. NDSU believes in a balanced approach to Division I athletics, and is very proud of the several top 10 national finishes in track and field, including a runner up national champion. Ncaa berths in soccer, softball, and volleyball do not take a back seat to football.

I am all for the "other" sports and their success at UND, but come on dude! Football is, and should be king at NDSU, followed closely by basketball.

I wouldn't laugh, some of NDSU's current and former track athletes have done very well for themselves on the highest of national levels. NDSU doesn't need an indoor practice arena, the Fargodome is the home of NDSU football and it takes a handful of people hardly 30 minutes to setup the field besides that Bohl likes practicing outside.

Supposedly the new track had to happen first so work on the rest of the BSA could begin later.

The point is to get the indoor track out of the BSA arena, so they can upgrade the arena into a full-time bball arena.

But you're right that to not make the indoor track capable of housing an indoor field - just stupid.

NDSU has been dominating the Summit League in track, so this is a good move for them. So this new track facility won't be attached to the BSA? From the renderings, at least this building's architecture is consistent with the BSA: tin pole barn motif. Never would know that NDSU has an architect school. ;)

There's still $10 million in fundraising for a refurbished BSA? Is that thing ever going to be built? A number of years ago (five or six?), I was ripped on for stating that UND's practice facility would get built before the BSA was ever redone. I certainly didn't think it would take UND this long to begin, but again, prophecy was fulfilled. ;)

I wouldn't laugh, some of NDSU's current and former track athletes have done very well for themselves on the highest of national levels. NDSU doesn't need an indoor practice arena, the Fargodome is the home of NDSU football and it takes a handful of people hardly 30 minutes to setup the field besides that Bohl likes practicing outside.

Supposedly the new track had to happen first so work on the rest of the BSA could begin later.

NDSU does not control the Fargodome. They have to ask permission to use the space for football practices and if the Dome is hosting an event, obviously it can't be used. It takes more than 30 minutes to set up the field and once the new turf goes in the conversion will take hours. The Fargodome would prefer if no NDSU teams ever practice there, because it takes money away from the Dome and they get no revenue out of it. They only want to host football games and basketball games.

No doubt about it, NDSU's outdoor teams would greatly benefit from an indoor field. The building is being built and it is incredibly - stupidly - short sighted not to at least have turf in the infield of the 200m track. Building a 300m building would be far superior and frankly some of the other updates that they have planned for this $32 million can just wait.

NDSU has been dominating the Summit League in track, so this is a good move for them. So this new track facility won't be attached to the BSA? From the renderings, at least this building's architecture is consistent with the BSA: tin pole barn motif. Never would know that NDSU has an architect school. ;)

There's still $10 million in fundraising for a refurbished BSA? Is that thing ever going to be built? A number of years ago (five or six?), I was ripped on for stating that UND's practice facility would get built before the BSA was ever redone. I certainly didn't think it would take UND this long to begin, but again, prophecy was fulfilled. ;)

It's going to be a piecemeal deal. First they're going to build a structure that houses a 200m track, some seating and a few nets so that baseball/softball can have batting practice and golf can take swings into the net. Nothing more.

Next they'll upgrade the BSA arena with new seating. Hopefully they'll remove the beams that obstruct the view of the court on the west side seats.

Then they'll build the bball practice facility addition. Next they'll do the weight training/training room addition/update. Last they'll remodel the BSA locker rooms and offices.

I just get the feeling that after spending $32 million, NDSU fans are going to be disappointed with what they see. The BSA and the new track building are going to have a cheap looking exterior and the BSA arena is basically going to be band-aided with new green seats.

It's going to be a piecemeal deal. First they're going to build a structure that houses a 200m track, some seating and a few nets so that baseball/softball can have batting practice and golf can take swings into the net. Nothing more.

Next they'll upgrade the BSA arena with new seating. Hopefully they'll remove the beams that obstruct the view of the court on the west side seats.

Then they'll build the bball practice facility addition. Next they'll do the weight training/training room addition/update. Last they'll remodel the BSA locker rooms and offices.

I just get the feeling that after spending $32 million, NDSU fans are going to be disappointed with what they see. The BSA and the new track building are going to have a cheap looking exterior and the BSA arena is basically going to be band-aided with new green seats.

The project has been separated into three phases. The reason behind that is because the majority of NDSU athletics are housed in the BSA and they'll have to move around the facility as the construction progresses. If you look at both the T&F facility and UND/Youngstown's practice facilities they all look like poll barns without a dirt floor on the inside. In fact if you removed the track and turf from the floor and strip the paint off the walls of Youngstowns facility it would closely resemble a turkey barn with the fans on the back wall and the opening around the top of the walls for light. NDSU's T&F facility is just on a smaller scale without a football infield and is separate from the main sports complex where as UND chose to build it all into one.

I am not sure on why NDSU isn't looking for an indoor practice facility for football but I would bet one big reason would be the cost. Old Dacotah will change in the future but I don't think enclosing it has ever really been discussed. The Fargodome is very welcoming when their schedule allows and it takes less than an hour to roll out the turf. It takes longer to set up for game day but it takes very little effort and manpower to just get the turf in place. The old original turf took quite an effort as it was stored in small rolls that had to be zipped together roll by roll. The new stuff coming will take even less effort that is why they chose to spend the $3 million to get it done right.

Most people forget the existing structure that is going to be reused was valued at $30 million when studies were done. If NDSU would have had to start from scratch the entire project would have been over $60 million to be completed. It may not be exactly what everyone wants but it will be an very big improvement from what they have now.

If you and your Bison buddies want to move up to the FBS you will need the facilities to go with it. IPF is very attractive to recruits and a bigger dome (unless you are Idaho).

If you and your Bison buddies want to move up to the FBS you will need the facilities to go with it. IPF is very attractive to recruits and a bigger dome (unless you are Idaho).

NDSU's football facilities are on par with those in the MAC or Sunbelt. There is no "need" to do anything to Go FBS. After you make that FBS commitment, strategic improvements would follow. No need to do anything to "GO" FBS. Getting closer to sellouts for every game is the Need right now.

NDSU's football facilities are on par with those in the MAC or Sunbelt. There is no "need" to do anything to Go FBS. After you make that FBS commitment, strategic improvements would follow. No need to do anything to "GO" FBS. Getting closer to sellouts for every game is the Need right now.

I think you are spot on. My hope is that NDSU and UND make this jump together this time (down the road of course but I think it is inevitable).

NDSU does not control the Fargodome. They have to ask permission to use the space for football practices and if the Dome is hosting an event, obviously it can't be used. It takes more than 30 minutes to set up the field and once the new turf goes in the conversion will take hours. The Fargodome would prefer if no NDSU teams ever practice there, because it takes money away from the Dome and they get no revenue out of it. They only want to host football games and basketball games.

No doubt about it, NDSU's outdoor teams would greatly benefit from an indoor field. The building is being built and it is incredibly - stupidly - short sighted not to at least have turf in the infield of the 200m track. Building a 300m building would be far superior and frankly some of the other updates that they have planned for this $32 million can just wait.

Money is tight right now, I'm sure Gene Taylor would love to have the facility you are talking about but Saul Phillips can only wait so much longer for the facility that he absolutely needs. The track has to come first, the BSA is used by so many teams that it is vital to have that space up and running for when the rest of the BSA is gutted. So it isn't like NDSU can sit around wait for another $5-10 million to come when they are already waiting for 5-10 million to finish what they have planned. An indoor practice facility is a luxury at this point and it isn't like in a few years it couldn't be added, I'm sure it would be much cheaper to build minus the seats and 300 meter track.

How do you know the dome has a problem with NDSU using it's facility? Last time I checked the school pays rent and the dome makes a good deal of money on NDSU's games. Obviously they aren't going to cancel concerts/trade shows to let NDSU practice but it isn't like the dome is jam packed with events, especially during football season. Plus I don't think Bohl has any issue with practicing outside on his nice new sprinturf practice field.

I suspect FBS will come to UND and NDSU, not that UND and NDSU will go to it. With all the posturing by the BCS conferences (going to 12 or more teams), and the recent "issues" at USC, tOSU, and Miami, I wonder how much longer until the BCS superconferences don't come up with their own "sandbox" for football (or maybe more).

Take the BCS/superconferences out of the picture and what is left:

- the remnants of FBS plus the scholarship FCS teams making up the new "DI"

- non-scholarship FCS and full scholarship DIIs making up the new "DII"

- non and low scholarship DIIs and DIII making up the last tier

If NDSU builds another football stadium it won't be a dome, cost is just too much. But really we are 15-20 years at least from even talking about this, the school needs to build up demand and the economy needs to rebound in a big way. There is no way Fargo voters will foot the bill for anything else, especially when you look at how much is going into flood protection.