SiouxSports.com Forum

Facilities Master Plan

The Sicatoka

Yes, remember the Ignite the Spirit rumors? Would be great if something came about, but let's get the Alerus packed first. If you look at the trend of students not supporting football like they used to in both Fargo and Grand Forks, it would be foolish to start on such a project without evidence that they can support the present facility. To be quite honest it bothers me that people need to see the Montana's, NDSU's, etc. in order to want to attend football at the Alerus. I can understand out of town people looking at what games they might want to attend, but there should be more people in town that attend, no matter the opponent. If the hockey team can just about sell out for exhibition games against Manitoba, I see no reason why they can't sustain attendance of at least 10,000 at football games. Maybe they could create a priority points system for students that would allow them better seating at hockey if they have points from attendance at other sporting events. I know they pay the money for activity fees, and they have different priorities, but a points system worked for the general public in transitioning to the new arena, which included points for holding tickets in other sports besides hockey. Hopefully moving to the Big Sky will spark the excitement without the need to coerce people into supporting other sports.

I look at it this way, what would attendace be at the Ralph if we played in a conference with the bottom tier of hockey teams, and no playoffs. Would you pay money for parking, tickets, and concessions? Or wait until we were playoff eligible. Look at the attendance at the Alerus when every game counted 2001-2007. In 2012 you will see that again.

I look at it this way, what would attendace be at the Ralph if we played in a conference with the bottom tier of hockey teams, and no playoffs. Would you pay money for parking, tickets, and concessions? Or wait until we were playoff eligible. Look at the attendance at the Alerus when every game counted 2001-2007. In 2012 you will see that again.

Don't have all the figures, but attendance has not always been great at Sioux football playoff games even. What were there 5000 against Duluth?

Don't have all the figures, but attendance has not always been great at Sioux football playoff games even. What were there 5000 against Duluth?

Look at it this way. D2 playoffs against Duluth or Winona St. or FCS playoffs against NDSU, SIU, App St. Bigger teams with more exposure.

Alerus Playoff Attendance:

2001: 6700 vs Winona St, 5595 vs Pitt St, 11,696 vs UC Davis

2003: 5595 vs Pitt St, 9744 vs Winona St, 9652 vs N. Alabama

2004: 8222 vs Grand Valley St.

2005: 5223 vs Minnesota-Duluth

2006: 5073 vs Winona St.

2007: 5370 vs Winona St

I think fans felt Winona was a joke and didn't bother to show. Just look at the UC Davis attendance (I was at that game :D )

Memorial Stadium:

1993: 3759 vs Pitt St, 3047 vs Mankato St.

1994: 3520 vs NE Missouri St.

1995: 5595 vs NDSU

I just see football fans as more apathetic to the point where even if they are winning, they don't show up. Even playoff games are conditional. Really? Looks like NDSU has the same problem, even when they are winning. I don't know if I buy the "build it and they will come" philosophy for football.

You look at all those attendance figures and you come away more convinced that the Alerus will do just fine for the next 20 years. You don't build a new stadium for a game here or there that may draw well.

Maybe the Memorial Stadium figures were due to weather. Cold weather doesn't bring out the fans. But un updated new facility might. How do they survive in Green Bay, and Denver, and Missoula.

You may want to check your math. If only it were that simple. ;)

A new football stadium is going to take a major donor to spearhead the project and put up millions of real and current dollars. By all accounts, an indoor practice facility is the top priority for the athletic department and the only athletic project even discussed in the Ignite the Spirit campaign. Im not going to even think about a new football stadium until the practice facility is a done deal and there are shovels in the ground.

Edited by Ole in MSP

by mksioux on the 19th

"You may want to check your math. If only it were that simple.

A new football stadium is going to take a major donor to spearhead the project and put up millions of real and current dollars. By all accounts, an indoor practice facility is the top priority for the athletic department and the only athletic project even discussed in the Ignite the Spirit campaign. I

by mksioux on the 19th

"You may want to check your math. If only it were that simple.

A new football stadium is going to take a major donor to spearhead the project and put up millions of real and current dollars. By all accounts, an indoor practice facility is the top priority for the athletic department and the only athletic project even discussed in the Ignite the Spirit campaign. I

I just see football fans as more apathetic to the point where even if they are winning, they don't show up. Even playoff games are conditional. Really? Looks like NDSU has the same problem, even when they are winning. I don't know if I buy the "build it and they will come" philosophy for football.

If you look at playoff attendance figures all around Division II I think you will find that attendance is lower than you would think, especially for early rounds. People probably don't expect good games in early rounds and they don't have a lot of time to sell advance tickets. Later in the playoffs people get more excited because they expect good games. You can't plan a stadium around playoff attendance. You have to plan a stadium around what you can project for regular season games.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From page 26 & 27 of the NCAA Certification Self-Study, gender equity section:

Previously, locker rooms for women's ice hockey were found to be deficient compared to the men's ice hockey locker rooms. These are the only two sports located in the Ralph Englestad Arena. Because of this, the women's ice hockey locker rooms have been extensively remodeled to be more equitable. In addition, women's tennis, men's golf, and women's golf do not have any on-site locker rooms available (their practice and competition facilities are off site). In order to address this, men's and women's track will move to locker rooms in the new indoor practice facility when it opens (FY12), and men's and women's golf will move into vacated space on-site in the original facility. Women's tennis will have dedicated locker room space at the new tennis facility that will be completed (FY 11). This plan is acceptable to the Subcommittee.

Obviously this isn't anything concrete, but it shows that the athletic department still plans to have the new indoor facility built and available in the next year or two.

And it's good to hear that they have upgraded the women's hockey spaces to match those of the men's team.

And the women's tennis and future men's tennis teams will have brand new facilities at the new Choice Wellness Center. We really are lucky to have the great facilities we have and the new ones about to come online.

• 4 weeks later...

They should sell time in that room to us in the general public in the winter months. :love: Very Cool. I'm sure they wish they had a dome to hit in like in Fargo, or I even think Gustavus or Augsburg has one too, but they have got to be pretty happy about having this. That was neat to see, I had no idea. I remember seeing just a net, back in the day up top in the main Hyslop arena. Definitely an upgrade.

• 3 months later...

Imagine a Ralph complex with an attached 5-6000 seat arena/BB court north of the Betty/Olympic arena designed for both hockey and basketball:

Women's games would almost always be in the smaller arena, giving it better home ice.

BB could be in any of three courts: Betty, 6000 seat, or the Ralph, depending on the scope of the game.

The Ralph already has the compressor system for more ice.

The men's team could practice in the 6000 seat arena, if the main Ralph was needed for concerts.

The number of concert dates would greatly increase without interfering with hockey practice.

The Ralph could more easily host multiple events concurrently - like state tournaments (hockey and BB) while still hosting UND hockey.

The Ralph could host more youth tournaments and hockey camps.

Video boards and better vendors in the new arena, relative to the Betty means much more sales.

The Ralph becomes even more of a destination center, increasing the likelihood of an attached hotel.

• Upvote 1

Imagine a Ralph complex with an attached 5-6000 seat arena/BB court north of the Betty/Olympic arena designed for both hockey and basketball:

Women's games would almost always be in the smaller arena, giving it better home ice.

BB could be in any of three courts: Betty, 6000 seat, or the Ralph, depending on the scope of the game.

The Ralph already has the compressor system for more ice.

The men's team could practice in the 6000 seat arena, if the main Ralph was needed for concerts.

The number of concert dates would greatly increase without interfering with hockey practice.

The Ralph could more easily host multiple events concurrently - like state tournaments (hockey and BB) while still hosting UND hockey.

The Ralph could host more youth tournaments and hockey camps.

Video boards and better vendors in the new arena, relative to the Betty means much more sales.

The Ralph becomes even more of a destination center, increasing the likelihood of an attached hotel.

I like the idea. I almost wish they had the space and money to build a new main arena with a 15,000-20,000 seating capacity. I know this will never happen but it would be sweet if it did! We need to focus on building an indoor practice facility and on-campus stadium. MSU's new stadium is looking real good we should be thinking about building something comparable http://www.msubobcats.com/photo_gallery.aspx?gallery=58

In a word, why?

Need 3000 to 3500 seats? The Betty.

Need 5000-6000 seats? Lower bowl of REA, or ...

Need 8000-9000? Alerus Center (in BB config).

Need 13000 seats for BB? REA.

A 5000-6000 seat arena seems like duplication right now, unless it's an ice rink first (which Grand Forks always seems to need another sheet).

Closing thought on this: Multiple events ... can you imagine the parking nightmares ...

However, for UND right now the greatest need is an indoor training facility (or an on-campus, domed football stadium with enough seats to allow FBS play in the future).