SiouxSports.com Forum

New Standing Rock letter

82SiouxGuy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is great to see UND and the Standing Rock Tribal council working together on this issue. Instead of giving in to the PC movement, UND took another approach and actually worked with the tribes and came to an agreement. This agreement and the continuing dialogue with the tribes is much more meaningful and will accomplish more than dropping the Sioux name. It is a good day.

This gives the NCAA the opportunity to get out of the corner they have painted themselves into. They can reaffirm their policy with the exemptions that they have previously granted to FSU, Utah, etc. Do you think they will be smart enough to realize this and end this debacle?

I kind of wanted to see what the NCAA's response was going to be if UND didn't have tribal support. Now if they let us off with a "tribal support" exemption, we'd likely drop the underlying issue of the the NCAA breaking its own rules and overstepping its authority as "not our problem", like FSU.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the name stay and I want to see it supported by local tribes and UND to have a good relationship with those tribes, I'd just hate to get off on a technicality and leave Illinois alone to fight the good fight...

Now, I don't there to be any question five years from now whether UND is still living up to its "end of the bargain" as there was this year. UND reached out and reestablished this relationship with the local tribal governments, now that they've lent us their support, KEEP UP THE RELATIONSHIP.

I don't see how this changes anything in the short term, unless it prompts the NCAA to delay its decision on UND's appeal. It is a positive step towards obtaining the written support of the Tribal Council though. Good news.

I agree. I think Brand, et al. may be petty enough to think of some way to minimize or dilute these resolutions. Or at the very least, they may drag out some new "deadline" that nobody knew about. While I appreciate the show of support by the tribal groups, I think ultimately the best way for UND to protect its use of the name/logo is in court, unless the NC$$ finally backs off its crusade.

I second that.

I'll third it!

What is really impressive about this is that it was a vote of the members of the tribe that came out 75% in favor of the name. It wasn't just the leaders saying go ahead and use the name but an actual tribal membership vote that said it. I still would have liked a court of law to say we had the right to use the name but I'll take it.

GO Sioux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While it is sure nice that the Standing Rock and Spirit Lake Nation Indians have given us their support, which they should, we should still be able to use the "Fighting Sioux" name with out their permission. I hope Illinois (along with all other schools with Indian nicknames) also get to continue to use their respective nickname. Just because some people think a nickname is hostel and abusive dosen't give them the right to ban it. I don't care whether they have a majority or not.

This is great news!

Let's form a relationship and keep it strong!

What great news!!!!! Let's do our best to keep honoring the traditions of the Native American people. Hopefully this will be a new beginning of a truly great relationship. Let's not mess it up. Hopefully the UND administration will continue to try to improve the relationship. Sioux fans do truly honor and respect the Sioux logo and respect what it means to the Native American people. Go SIOUX.

In the long run, I don't care what the NCAA thinks or does, never have. I do hope they grant the exemption, just to give this issue an end from the NCAA standpoint. But I am very pleased that the University's administration and the state's Sioux Tribes have dialogued and come to an agreement.

As proud as I am of being an Alumnus and a former wearer of the Sioux uniform and what it stands for, I would have been in favor of a change if there were not a clear majority of people on all sides who still favored the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname.

I think this shows there still is a clear majority who favor the Sioux nickname.

I don't think this means we should not dialogue, or worse yet, belittle those who feel differently. They are entitled to their opinion, and many make logical, concise, passionate reasons as to why they oppose the name. It becomes incumbant upon us to continue to use the Sioux name in a positive and honorable way.

We also need to be big enough to admit there were times in the past when some were less than honorable with their use of the name and how they treated the Native American students on our campus. Those in the minority need to recognize that times have changed and the great majority of Alumni and students are quite sensitive to the issues of racism and it's negative effects. We cannot wipe out racism, but we can work to eliminate the racist attitude and the negative effects that come with racism. Dialogue and education are our best tools towards this end. Let's continue to use them to everyone's benefit.

It is great to see UND and the Standing Rock Tribal council working together on this issue. Instead of giving in to the PC movement, UND took another approach and actually worked with the tribes and came to an agreement. This agreement and the continuing dialogue with the tribes is much more meaningful and will accomplish more than dropping the Sioux name. It is a good day.

Agreed. :D