SiouxSports.com Forum

New Standing Rock letter

82SiouxGuy

Time to start the bidding to host another regional!!! :D

Indeed.

From what was said after this year's regional, it sounded like the REA was already looking at filling out the paperwork to get another regional there (even though the appeal is not decided on yet). The NCAA officials seemed to support the idea.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It becomes incumbant upon us to continue to use the Sioux name in a positive and honorable way.

We also need to be big enough to admit there were times in the past when some were less than honorable with their use of the name and how they treated the Native American students on our campus. Those in the minority need to recognize that times have changed and the great majority of Alumni and students are quite sensitive to the issues of racism and it's negative effects. We cannot wipe out racism, but we can work to eliminate the racist attitude and the negative effects that come with racism. Dialogue and education are our best tools towards this end. Let's continue to use them to everyone's benefit.

What Doc said.

I think this is great news.

How will Brand view it?

Simple: 2>1. Despite Standing Rock's support, the other two Sioux nations oppose it. Therefore, UND is still on the list.

The NCAA NEEDS to make an example, and my hunch is UND is the example.

I think this is great news.

How will Brand view it?

Simple: 2>1. Despite Standing Rock's support, the other two Sioux nations oppose it. Therefore, UND is still on the list.

The NCAA NEEDS to make an example, and my hunch is UND is the example.

According to the UND press release, support is from BOTH North Dakota based Sioux tribes, Standing Rock and Spirit Lake.

According to the UND press release, support is from BOTH North Dakota based Sioux tribes, Standing Rock and Spirit Lake.

There are only two Sioux Tribes in North Dakota. Right now, neither is against the use of the Sioux Nickname by the University of North Dakota.

It is critical for us to hold up our end and speak when we see racism, misuse of the Fighting Sioux nickname, or disrespect to the heritage of the Sioux people. This is a great day, no matter how the NCAA votes. UND and the tribes have to work together, because only through education will there even be a possibility of addressing the real issues faced by Native Americans on the reservation.

Thank you Standing Rock and Spirit Lake tribes.

Setting the nickname aside for a moment, I am particularly pleased that the University is moving to advance the cause of providing educational opportunities, including a scholarship endowment. Count me among those who are proud to be alumni of a school dedicated to doing everything possible for Native Americans.

There's a lot MORE that can be easily done to build relationships, educate the non-Natives; there will never be a better time than now.

A tip of the cap to President Kupchella, and others at the U who are on the right track in that regard.

UND released a letter written to the NCAA by Archie Fool Bear, chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's judicial committee. Fool Bear said six of the eight districts on the reservation have voted "overwhelmingly" to support the Grand Forks school's use of the nickname.
"It is hostile. It is abusive. And there are lots of Native Americans who are opposed to it," he (Don Morrison of Bismarck) said.

Whom to believe, whom to believe:

Archie Fool Bear, chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's judicial committee

or

Don Morrison of Bismarck.

So, what'll the NCAA come up with now? :D

I haven't read this whole thread yet so maybe this is a repeat. I would guess the NCAA is jumping up and down with joy right now. They just managed to squeek out of their fix. The comments they have made about "advancing the discussion" and seemingly happy that that's what they are accomplishing told me that they'd be more than happy with a moral victory if they can save face doing it. But what do I know.

I kind of wanted to see what the NCAA's response was going to be if UND didn't have tribal support. Now if they let us off with a "tribal support" exemption, we'd likely drop the underlying issue of the the NCAA breaking its own rules and overstepping its authority as "not our problem", like FSU.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see the name stay and I want to see it supported by local tribes and UND to have a good relationship with those tribes, I'd just hate to get off on a technicality and leave Illinois alone to fight the good fight...

Now, I don't there to be any question five years from now whether UND is still living up to its "end of the bargain" as there was this year. UND reached out and reestablished this relationship with the local tribal governments, now that they've lent us their support, KEEP UP THE RELATIONSHIP.

Only one thing to say.....AMEN!

Oh, and I agree with everything you said. Exactly.

According to this NCAA news release, we won't be hearing anything official until Friday.

April 25, 2006

The NCAA News

Native American symbols appeals top Executive Committee agenda

Appeals of application of a policy governing use of Native American mascots, names and imagery at NCAA championships are among items on the agenda for the April 28 meeting of the NCAA Executive Committee in Indianapolis.

The Executive Committee is expected to consider appeals from Bradley University; Indiana University of Pennsylvania; the University of Illinois, Champaign; and the University of North Dakota. The committee will review materials submitted by the institutions, the Division I Board of Directors and Division II Presidents Council, and the NCAA staff to determine whether the institutions should be retained on the list of colleges and universities subject to restrictions under the policy.

Committee members also will discuss establishing a working group to review issues related to permitting institutions outside the United States to join the NCAA. Current Association legislation requires members to be located within the United States or its territories or possessions, but institutions outside the United States occasionally have expressed interest in joining.

The full Standing Rock tribal council does not meet until next week for their vote on the issue. I don't think that they are bound by the vote of the Judicial Committee or by the people. You could assume that they would follow the same path, but they could decide to do something totally different and vote against UND. Especially if one of their leaders feels very strongly about the issue.

I think that the NC$$ will delay the decision on UND until after the vote by the full council. Then they will follow the wishes of the tribe and claim that they (the NC$$) are being consistent. The only way I see them making a decision tomorrow is if they see the similarities in the UND and Illinois cases and decide they want to avoid a potential lawsuit from those 2 schools.

The full Standing Rock tribal council does not meet until next week for their vote on the issue. I don't think that they are bound by the vote of the Judicial Committee or by the people. You could assume that they would follow the same path, but they could decide to do something totally different and vote against UND. Especially if one of their leaders feels very strongly about the issue.

I think that the NC$$ will delay the decision on UND until after the vote by the full council. Then they will follow the wishes of the tribe and claim that they (the NC$$) are being consistent. The only way I see them making a decision tomorrow is if they see the similarities in the UND and Illinois cases and decide they want to avoid a potential lawsuit from those 2 schools.

Seems the Herald updated its story from earlier (?), and includes mention that the Standing Rock Chairman remains opposed.

Standing Rock Chairman Ron His Horse Is Thunder sent a letter to Franklin on Thursday, saying the tribe "maintains its stance opposing the 'Fighting Sioux' athletic nickname and logo."

His Horse Is Thunder said the judicial committee can only make recommendations to the Tribal Council, and he said Fool Bear in the past has unsuccessfully tried to sway the council toward supporting the nickname.

Fool Bear said in an interview Thursday that the support of the tribe is not official until the Tribal Council acts on the matter next week.

"We've heard both sides of the issue. The people of this tribe have heard both sides of the issue," he said. "The majority are saying our Tribal Council should be in support."

Loved this quote:

Vernon Bellecourt, a Minnesota American Indian activist and president of the National Coalition on Racism in Sports and Media, said he was shocked by Fool Bear's letter.

"To take a referendum on racism is just totally outrageous," he said.

So to allow democracy to flourish by allowing the very people who are supposedly the subject of racism to vote on the matter is just totally outrageous. ;):D

Seems the Herald updated its story from earlier (?), and includes mention that the Standing Rock Chairman remains opposed.

Well in that case, the NC$$ is likely to table their decision until after the tribe votes. This type of dessension among the leaders of the tribe will always be a part of the name/logo issue. As much as I would like this to be a done deal, IMHO it would be in our best interest to take this to court and win the decision there.

Edited by Sioux-cia