SiouxSports.com Forum

New Standing Rock letter

82SiouxGuy

But it sure is fun to see how the tribal chair unwittingly painted the NCAA further into the corner.

We have the people saying they support it and yet the council may vote the other way.

So who should the NCAA listen to?

I know that answer --> the judge's ruling. :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But it sure is fun to see how the tribal chair unwittingly painted the NCAA further into the corner.

We have the people saying they support it and yet the council may vote the other way.

I know that answer --> the judge's ruling. ;)

The beauty of pushing the NC$$ into the courthouse, is that a court ruling not only solidifies UND's use of its name/logo against the NC$$, but also against others who might seek to sue for violations of their "rights", discrimination, emotional distress, etc. by UND for using the name/logo. Regardless of how the NC$$ waffles, delays, rules, whines, etc., I would prefer a court ruling or two in UND's favor. :D;)

I've looked and looked without success. Is this letter something that we would be shown if we went and asked for it?

Here is Ron His Horse Is Thunder's letter telling the NCAA to ignore Archie Fool Bear's letter. Funny the NCAA wasted no time getting that one online, still don't see Fool Bear's...

My favorite quote is:

Mr. Fool Bear's letter also cites a visit the Judicial Committee made to UND and he reports that the "did not observer any abusive or derogatory comments" during their visit. I, however, have received copies of internet dialog on how UND alumni, "The Sioux Crew," knew in advance that Tribal officials were going to be present at a hockey game and knew that UND President Charles Kupchella arranged the visit "to show the Sioux Tribal members how we (they) behave".

That's just like those Internet people -- secretly colluding not to be abusive or derogatory.

I know that answer --> the judge's ruling. :D

This just proves how some of these tribal leaders have no clue what their people want. I think UND still will win with the support of the Spirit Lake tribe and the letter from Standing Rock just proves what most of these studies have sad all along. There isn't really this ground swell support for changing the name like some claim. On the flip side of this Why does Leigh J even work for UND? I suggest he find a new college to work at if UND is so evil.

It took me a minute to hunt down the quote from the letter, but redwing77 is the big winner -- having a humble SiouxSports.com post quoted in a letter on the NCAA site:

Kupchella has arranged this, as I read on the Sioux Name thread, to show the Sioux tribal members how we behave "in the harshest of sport situations."
:D

Emphasis mine. I'm still shocked, simply shocked, to learn that Sioux fans are using the Internet to collude to behave politely and respectfully toward Native Americans. If I had only known the message board would be used for this sort of behavior...

Someone with a law background please enlighten us...

1. If this goes to court, what kind of time frame are we looking at for a decision(months, years, etc.)?

2. How likely would it be to get a court imposed injunction allowing the use of the name/logo in postseason play and allowing teams to host until this is decided?

3. Is it realistic that UND would win a court case against the NCAA and if so on what grounds specifically? (I have heard all sorts of conflicting opinions on this)

Thanks

It took me a minute to hunt down the quote from the letter, but redwing77 is the big winner -- having a humble SiouxSports.com post quoted in a letter on the NCAA site:

Emphasis mine. I'm still shocked, simply shocked, to learn that Sioux fans are using the Internet to collude to behave politely and respectfully toward Native Americans. If I had only known the message board would be used for this sort of behavior...

How dare people be on their best behavior when the Tribal Leaders were at UND.

Someone with a law background please enlighten us...

1. If this goes to court, what kind of time frame are we looking at for a decision(months, years, etc.)?

2. How likely would it be to get a court imposed injunction allowing the use of the name/logo in postseason play and allowing teams to host until this is decided?

3. Is it realistic that UND would win a court case against the NCAA and if so on what grounds specifically? (I have heard all sorts of conflicting opinions on this)

Thanks

1. Who knows. It's always a guess.

2. I'd guess fairly likely now that all NCAA appeals processes (however they made them up today) are exhausted.

3. If I were a bettin' man ... :D .... otherwise, no comment. ;)

What.... do I win?

Self degrading or not, I think there are plenty of posters here who are far more "quotable" in a reliable setting than I am.

How dare people be on their best behavior when the Tribal Leaders were at UND.

And I believe the truth is that UND fans acted no differently during that game than they did in any other Sioux-Gopher game. At least, that's the way I remember it.

• 1 month later...
How do y'all think this plays with Myles Brand and Walter Harrison.

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/14443237.htm

Some of these links disappear after a while (I imagine these stories get archived) so I wanted to quote some important aspects of the story so they can easily be found in the future:

UND released a letter written to the NCAA by Archie Fool Bear, chairman of the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's judicial committee. Fool Bear said six of the eight districts on the reservation have voted "overwhelmingly" to support the Grand Forks school's use of the nickname.

Fool Bear wrote the letter, which was dated Wednesday, to Bernard W. Franklin, the NCAA's senior vice president for governance and membership.

"During a recent visit to the University of North Dakota, we as the Judicial Committee did not observe any abusive or derogatory comments or remarks concerning Native Americans," the letter said, "and we do not believe that there is credible evidence of 'hostile and abusive' treatment as reported by the NCAA but rather an environment of respect and honor shown to our heritage and culture along with a zero tolerance policy dealing with racism."

Fool Bear said in an interview Thursday that the support of the tribe is not official until the Tribal Council acts on the matter next week.

"We've heard both sides of the issue. The people of this tribe have heard both sides of the issue," he said. "The majority are saying our Tribal Council should be in support."