SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL draft news

jk

Sorry but I completely disagree with most of this. First of all, no way will Toews be picked first. Teams with the first overall pick will pick someone who has the most potential, which is Erik Johnson or Phil Kessel. If Toews would be first I would be very surprised. And IMO absolutely no way will Frolik be a top 5. He only had like 2 goals this season in his league and was outperformed by Tlusty who plays on the same team and is draft eligible also. I think Frolik will slip out of the top 10 actually. I think Backstrom will round out the top 5.

Toews is the safe bet for most scouts because they understand how smart he is and also how dedicated and determined he is. They also know he is a great teammate both on and off the ice.

I think Toews and Staal will go no. 1 and no. 2 in this draft because they are both great kids with huge potential and the scouts will figure that out very quickly.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toews is the safe bet for most scouts because they understand how smart he is and also how dedicated and determined he is. They also know he is a great teammate both on and off the ice.

I think Toews and Staal will go no. 1 and no. 2 in this draft because they are both great kids with huge potential and the scouts will figure that out very quickly.

Picking who will go when is a challenge as there are too many uncertainties even on draft day itself. The TSN staff have stated that Pittsburgh is desperate to get Johnson into their lineup and are predicating that the Penguins management won't take a chance and will trade up to get the number one pick. If it winds up being a position change with St Louis it is a strong possibility that they could select Toews with the second pick.

What Vanek doesn't have is that all around game. ... The lack of scoring is why he is sitting, not any of the "heart" or defensive problems.

Nate Miller on Twin Cities radio (earlier today) disagrees with you on the bolded point. He said Lindy Ruff won't put up with poor defensive play and that's why Vanek sits.

In the clutch-and-grab NHL you could get away with one guy per shift being one-dimensional.

In a wide-open game you need guys playing both O and D up and down the ice.

Expect NHL teams to make picks based on that idea.

Nate Miller on Twin Cities radio (earlier today) disagrees with you on the bolded point. He said Lindy Ruff won't put up with poor defensive play and that's why Vanek sits.

Whether Ruff admits it or not, if Vanek was getting his 0.6 pts per game in the post season he wouldn't be sitting and his defense would still be the Vanek "D" we've all grown to love. (Half a stride and a slash.) It's kind of a catch 22.

I'd be fine with a comment like "Vanek isn't scoring and his defense is suspect so he's sitting."

Carolina looks to me to be the best team in the league right now and if the younger Staal projects to be anything like his brother I could see why a team would take him very high in the draft. :)

In the clutch-and-grab NHL you could get away with one guy per shift being one-dimensional.

In a wide-open game you need guys playing both O and D up and down the ice.

Expect NHL teams to make picks based on that idea.

Heh, I'm a bit fixated but...

This bolded print works for almost every team except for the Wild. In their caise, the bolded print should be changed to:

In a wide-open game you need guys playing D going up and down the ice.

O is a bonus but isn't required (which is why the Wild aren't breaking their necks right now to resign Gaborik).

ANNNNYWAYS.... I agree with Sic all the way on Vanek. I do think he will recover. Vanek's offensive upside is simply far too strong to have him bench warm a lot. Like him or dislike him, he's still young in the NHL.

As for draft order, I disagree with a lot of posters here, but I cannot pretend to predict who will go where with the exception of the first overall pick.

St. Louis really isn't as big of a pro-NCAA draft organization as some posters seem to think. Most of their collegiate players that are currently on the NHL club were acquired via trade. With that in mind, I think St. Louis will still draft Erik Johnson first overall and try to sign him right away. The only factor there is with Johnson is whether he'll sign right away or pull a Jack Johnson on St. Louis and play at the U. I think he'll sign right away and falter a little bit his first season in the pros. However, the argument that states that Johnson will suit up for the U is a strong argument as well.

Pittsburgh needs defense and would LOVE to get Erik Johnson. If they can't get him, I think they'll try to take the best two way forward they can get.

Chicago, in my opinion, will go off the board and try for speed. They're known for boneheaded picks like the Bruins are and I think they'll blow it this year.

Washington also needs defense and perhaps goaltending. I don't think they'll use this pick to pick a goaltender though. I think a Jordan Staal like player would fit with them if they can't get their hands on a solid defensive prospect.

Bruins- They don't usually go hard after collegiate players. Look for them to take a player from major juniors or from Europe. Backstrom comes to mind.

Where Kessel and Toews ends up is hard to say. I think Kessel could end up in Chicago or Washington. Toews could end up in Pittsburgh or Chicago or even fall out of the top 5 altogether. It's really hard to say.

Listened to Jeff Dubay yesterday, they talked a little bit about the draft. Said Kessel's stock has dropped saying they'd be surprised if he went higher than fifth. They also said Toews would probably be a top three pick, and mentioned him possibly going #3 to Chicago and said that Chicago is on record as saying that they intend to sign whomever they draft. As a Hawks fan, I'd love to see them take Toews, but I'm not ready to see Toews leave North Dakota yet.

Listened to Jeff Dubay yesterday, they talked a little bit about the draft. Said Kessel's stock has dropped saying they'd be surprised if he went higher than fifth. They also said Toews would probably be a top three pick, and mentioned him possibly going #3 to Chicago and said that Chicago is on record as saying that they intend to sign whomever they draft. As a Hawks fan, I'd love to see them take Toews, but I'm not ready to see Toews leave North Dakota yet.

The reality is that any of the top five picks could go professional right away and normally the decision rests in the hands of the teams that pick them. Of course the players will all say I'll be there in the fall because they don't want to burn any bridges with their team or their fans. Unfortunately, players like Michigan's Johnson have become the exception vice the norm. The coaches know this is the case and I am confident :) that they have some extra prospects in mind and will reveal them to us if and when any departures become a reality.

The reality is that any of the top five picks could go professional right away and normally the decision rests in the hands of the teams that pick them. Of course the players will all say I'll be there in the fall because they don't want to burn any bridges with their team or their fans. Unfortunately, players like Michigan's Johnson have become the exception vice the norm. The coaches know this is the case and I am confident :) that they have some extra prospects in mind and will reveal them to us if and when any departures become a reality.

The problem with that is those so called "extra prospects" will be nowhere near the talent level of Toews. If they were you would hear about them and they would have already committed somewhere. If we lose either Toews or Oshie next year is really going to turn into a rebuilding year. I am convinced JPar is gone so that already leaves 5 early departures if the JPar rumors are true. That is an unbelievable number and something that will be very difficult to fill all those shoes next year. There really is no loyalty and college hockey is really become more of a business.

The problem with that is those so called "extra prospects" will be nowhere near the talent level of Toews. If they were you would hear about them and they would have already committed somewhere. If we lose either Toews or Oshie next year is really going to turn into a rebuilding year. I am convinced JPar is gone so that already leaves 5 early departures if the JPar rumors are true. That is an unbelievable number and something that will be very difficult to fill all those shoes next year. There really is no loyalty and college hockey is really become more of a business.

College really is all about preparing for the next step in your life. That could mean getting your degree...or getting to the NHL. I'd say the goal for the majority of the hockey players is the NHL, and UND is the stepping stone for that. If it only takes 1-2 years to get there, thats how long they will stick around. If they get the opportunity to go to that next step, they certainly aren't going to say "I think I'll stick around for my 4 years of eligibility". It's just not going to happen.

How many on average year leave the Sioux each year? How many former Sioux teams had as many elite or first round picks in their lineup. I think you are throwing in the towel a little bit early.

How many on average year leave the Sioux each year? How many former Sioux teams had as many elite or first round picks in their lineup. I think you are throwing in the towel a little bit early.

Not sure of their draft status, but the early 80s Gino teams had many frosh/soph leave early, but those teams also had some very good role playing upper classmen. And, the early departing players all left with an NCAA championship.

The Sioux will have to win with highly skilled underclassman and a few, very few upper classmen. There are other teams in the same boat. Hit a year with frosh forwards equal to last year's along with the experienced D of two years ago and they probably win the NCAAs.

One positive, with so many leaving early, the classes may start to become more balanced, and we won't have those 10+ sized freshmen classes.

The Sioux will have to win with highly skilled underclassman and a few, very few upper classmen. There are other teams in the same boat. Hit a year with frosh forwards equal to last year's along with the experienced D of two years ago and they probably win the NCAAs.

One positive, with so many leaving early, the classes may start to become more balanced, and we won't have those 10+ sized freshmen classes.

The thing is all the top programs in the country are going to have the same problems. That will at least level the playing field.

Edited by Goon

The thing is all the top programs in the country are going to have the same problems. That will at least level the playing field.

Although there is not another team in the country that has already lost 4 and soon to be 5 of their very top players. Unfortunately we are leading the nation in a bad category.........."early defections"

Unfortunately we are leading the nation in a bad category.........."early defections"

I'd rather lead that category than:

"most guys we thought would be gone but are still here because they haven't produced yet"

• 3 weeks later...

On HFBoards, Toews is usually described as a guy who isn't necessarily going to light it up like Ovechkin or Crosby, but, much more importantly, is rather a type of player who will lead by example.

One poster said that whomever drafts Toews will watch him Captain a team to the Stanley Cup. If fans of other teams, even fans who don't want their team to draft Toews (The Captain reference came from a poster who thought it best if his team drafted Johnson or Staal or even Kessel) are saying this, it's gotta be a good choice.

The worst case I've seen on that board listed Toews as "the safest pick of the first round"

Just by reading what they say, it's almost like I'm reading Steve Yzerman's bio without knowing exactly how many points he's going to put up in the NHL.

This article was on ESPN.

"I like to score goals and set up goals, and that's the type of player I am. I'm always trying to create opportunities in the offensive zone. I love Joe Sakic, so I'm always trying to look up to him and the way he plays. I love his style. I always try to work on my skating. I don't think you can ever be a good enough skater, so that's something I work on, along with my physical play."

There is a bit more history listed along with a blurb on each of the biggies that must have been on CBC.

More and more younger players are actually playing and succeeding in the NHL. I've been wondering , is it possibe that some day there will could actually be a NHL team with no player over the age of 25?! :silly:

I'm sure it's possible, but I doubt it will ever happen. Veteran players provide an enormous amount of leadership, and I think that's one of the key components to winning the cup. Yes, players would have possibly 7 years of experience, but are still relatively young, and may not be as good as leaders as the well-seasoned veterans.

I keep seeing a top four (in some order) of Toews, Kessel, Staal, and Johnson.

Given http://www.uscho.com/news/id,12633/MockDraftTheTopTen.html , if STL needs offense, why take Johnson, a defenseman?

STL should, by my estimation, shop that #1 overall around to PIT and CHI and WAS and see who really does have their sights set on a particular forward: force their hands.

STL could end up no worse than picking #4 and would probably get another low-round pick or maybe some cash. Who knows, if they really do want Johnson and end up picking 4th (trade with WAS), he could still be there.

The good and the bad of all these college kids going high in the draft.

Good that the talent is there and the NHL thinks so highly of them.

Bad that we only get to watch them for a year or two. Sometime you don't get to watch them at all. (Muller and maybe Johnson).