SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL draft news

jk

remember though that a good number of those nobody's were veterans that nobody else wanted. now he's trying to do it with 19-23 yr olds that nobody wants, with the obvious few exceptions

edit: maybe not that nobody wants, but aren't ready for full time NHL playing time.

veterans that nobody wanted because they werent too good...the wild have some young talent if you ask me, even though no one wants them. once the young guys start gelling well together i think they are going to be pretty good. the wild have some young guys with amazing speed.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

veterans that nobody wanted because they werent too good...the wild have some young talent if you ask me, even though no one wants them. once the young guys start gelling well together i think they are going to be pretty good. the wild have some young guys with amazing speed.

but veterans are veterans, they've been there and done that. A lot of teams don't make it far due to youth, or take longer to gel due to youth, and when you throw in the emotions and win or go home aspect of the playoffs, youth shows (if they even make it that far). what propelled the wild as far as they went that magical year was a)nobody expected them to make it that far, serious underdog roll. 2)stellar goaltending with manny and roli (veterans) D)young hard working talent playing out of their minds 4) Veteran leadership helping the young talent keep their focus 5)lucky bounces.

but veterans are veterans, they've been there and done that. A lot of teams don't make it far due to youth, or take longer to gel due to youth, and when you throw in the emotions and win or go home aspect of the playoffs, youth shows (if they even make it that far). what propelled the wild as far as they went that magical year was a)nobody expected them to make it that far, serious underdog roll. 2)stellar goaltending with manny and roli (veterans) D)young hard working talent playing out of their minds 4) Veteran leadership helping the young talent keep their focus 5)lucky bounces.

a-2-D-4-5 ;) Is that a new numbering system?

Draft: Erik Johnson or Phil Kessel? Johnson is probably three years away and is no certain perennial All-Star. He looks like he will be very good, but it is not clear-cut. Can Kessel play in the NHL next season? He has multiple red flags -- he lacks vision and his defense is well below par. Still, he has the speed and the shot. There have been whispers that he has "Lindros-like" family concerns. If he is there at No. 2, do you take him and put him on the wing with Malkin or Crosby?
Hum, looks like its not only Sioux fans that are saying some of this stuff about Kessel. I am just glad we don't have to put with his crap in Grand Forks.

Draft: Take Toews. Have him go back to North Dakota, play in another World Junior tournament, and win a National Championship in the spring. Then, play him with Jack Skille for the 2007-08 Blackhawks season.

I could live with this. Nice. I think Toews will stay one more year after but who knows.

That's interesting about EJ. Not saying he's wrong because I'm certainly not "in the know." However, it's certainly newsworthy that EJ can go "right to the NHL right now" during the World Juniors to "3 years away."

Kessel has been falling for some reason all year long. It seems somewhat preposterous to think he'd fall as far as #7, though. Even with his "red flags" I will say this: If Kessel should fall out of the top 10, there could be serious rioting on the floor with those who pick 11-20 to get Kessel at 11 and I'll say that it would be a steal. If Kessel falls at all, it will be down to the Gophers favorite number: 5.

Oh yeah, Toews going to Chicago would be BAD NEWS for us. I'm positive they'll try to sign him immediately. Besides, only the Bruins suck worse than the Blackhawks when it comes to the Original Six.

And I am going to catch hell for that. The Blackhawks are my father's favorite NHL team. But then again, I like the Red Wings... :shrugs:

Oh yeah, Toews going to Chicago would be BAD NEWS for us. I'm positive they'll try to sign him immediately. Besides, only the Bruins suck worse than the Blackhawks when it comes to the Original Six.

And I am going to catch hell for that. The Blackhawks are my father's favorite NHL team. But then again, I like the Red Wings... :shrugs:

Sad state of affairs for a couple of the Original Six teams the Hawks and the B's Suck. I think if Toews went to Boston they wouldn't rush him along as fast as maybe other teams. But who knows until the offseason progresses along some more and we know where everyone ends up.

Sad state of affairs for a couple of the Original Six teams the Hawks and the B's Suck. I think if Toews went to Boston they wouldn't rush him along as fast as maybe other teams. But who knows until the offseason progresses along some more and we know where everyone ends up.

Who knows. But if O'Connell was still the B's GM, I'm sure O'Connell wouldn't draft Toews. That guy couldn't evaluate talent if his life depended upon it. In all likelihood, The B's would trade Toews.

I was very surprised at the comment about EJ being "three years away". I can't even imagine how good that kid would be in 3 more years. He could legitimately play in the NHL next season IMO, but I still think that he goes to UMN for at least one season.

I agree with RW77 about Toews being drafted by the Hawks. According to an earlier posted article, Chicago is looking to sign whichever forward that they take in the draft. Not good news if they happen to take Toews.

We'll see what happens.

Kessel has been falling for some reason all year long. It seems somewhat preposterous to think he'd fall as far as #7, though. Even with his "red flags" I will say this: If Kessel should fall out of the top 10, there could be serious rioting on the floor with those who pick 11-20 to get Kessel at 11 and I'll say that it would be a steal. If Kessel falls at all, it will be down to the Gophers favorite number: 5.

If Kessel is on the board and the Caps use the #4 on Mueller (as this guy predicts) I'll be more than a bit surprised. If Caps fans aren't talking about Kessel, I think it's only because we don't expect him to be around.

As far as Mueller, even if Kessel is gone I'd think the Caps would take Backstrom or Staal. The consensus picks have to be Pitt. picking up Kessel and moving him to wing and the 'Hawks taking Toews. Of course, Buccigross is right that the Caps generally throw Central Scouting's rankings away, so who knows, but I don't expect to see Toews or Kessel make it to #5.

I was very surprised at the comment about EJ being "three years away". I can't even imagine how good that kid would be in 3 more years. He could legitimately play in the NHL next season IMO, but I still think that he goes to UMN for at least one season.

I agree with RW77 about Toews being drafted by the Hawks. According to an earlier posted article, Chicago is looking to sign whichever forward that they take in the draft. Not good news if they happen to take Toews.

We'll see what happens.

I'd be careful about doing too much of what is bolded in your statement. :D

Did anyone else see the article on ESPN.com by John Buccigross about the NHL draft? Buccigross is predicting Kessel to go at number 7 overall to the Islanders! Toews is predicted to go at #3 to Chicago.

Click here to read the article.

cant he suck it up a little more and drop 1 more spot to my coyotes :D we'll take him ;)

The head of the NHL's North American draft list was on the NHL channel on Esposito's show on XM today. I didn't catch all of if, but they asked him about Kessel and he said it was more the other players stepping up that dropped Kessel to 5. Also kind of alluded to the change of going and playing at college.

Espo then brought up the USHL prospects at 10 and 30. McGuire (I think) praised Gino G. and mentioned how he made a name for himself by winning title at UND. He then said that NHL teams, because of the salary cap, are looking more at the college route kids. They get to hold their rights for four years and the Major Junior kids for only 2. Is this a new thing with this CBA?

The head of the NHL's North American draft list was on the NHL channel on Esposito's show on XM today. I didn't catch all of if, but they asked him about Kessel and he said it was more the other players stepping up that dropped Kessel to 5. Also kind of alluded to the change of going and playing at college.

Espo then brought up the USHL prospects at 10 and 30. McGuire (I think) praised Gino G. and mentioned how he made a name for himself by winning title at UND. He then said that NHL teams, because of the salary cap, are looking more at the college route kids. They get to hold their rights for four years and the Major Junior kids for only 2. Is this a new thing with this CBA?

Not that I am aware of. I thought that was the case before. What IS new is that the European players now have the same rules as Major Juniors (2 years then reenter draft/Free Agent) whereas they used to have their rights held by their drafting team for, basically, as long as the team wished. Don't quote me on that though.

In watching the highlights that Siouxdonym posted on the other thread I was struck by Toews goal in the BC game. Due to circumstances beyond my control it was the first time I was able to see that goal.

That was a big time play by an exceptional player. Yikes, he's come a long way from beginning to end of year. It also scares me about whether we'll see him again next year, because in watching that goal, I think I may have heard the bell toll on his college career.

It also scares me about whether we'll see him again next year, because in watching that goal, I think I may have heard the bell toll on his college career.

We can hope not! ;)

Let's hope that whoever drafts him wants him to stay in college one more year to gain a bit more muscle mass.

That may be the only reason we might see him next year. He still needs to fill out his body. He is a very very young 18 years old. I'm guessing whoever drafts him will have him fill out at least a year(maybe just wishful thinking). But honestly by the plays he made constantly last year, I really think he was the best freshman we've ever had at UND.

• 3 weeks later...