SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL draft news

jk

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell that to Jack Johnson. He could have gone straight to the the NHL but it was his "dream" to play for Michigan and it was a MAJOR factor in his decision. Now it looks like he might play two years of college. You can't just discount the fact that Erik's been dreaming of playing for the Gophers for the last 15 years of his life.

Put it into a real life perspective. Let's see, I just graduated high school, and I could get a college scholarship, but someone offers me 3 million dollars to do a job that I always wanted to do and will eventually end up doing. I take the money and go, or someone else will, get it ?

Put it into a real life perspective. Let's see, I just graduated high school, and I could get a college scholarship, but someone offers me 3 million dollars to do a job that I always wanted to do and will eventually end up doing. I take the money and go, or someone else will, get it ?

BUT.....also remember, that just because you get drafted, that doesn't mean you will be getting an offer at all. Depends solely on what the NHL club wants you to do.

I don't think I will be comfortable until next October when the Fighting Sioux hit the ice and I can see which players come out of the locker room.

Yep. I think Goligoski, Chucko, Wheeler as well as Kessel and EJ are still serious flight risks from the Gophers.

My point is that Jack Johnson has proved that your theory, "it doesn't matter what his dreams are" is totally bogus. Of course it matters. It's just a hard concept for Sioux fans to relate too because most of their players didn't grow up dreaming of being Sioux. That's not a negative comment on the UND program, it's just simply the way it is. UND's players come from all over, while virtually Minnesota's entire roster wanted to be Gophers their whole life. Johnson will play for the Gophers for one season.

It's just a hard concept for Sioux fans to relate too because most of their players didn't grow up dreaming of being Sioux.

It shows that most of our players came to the realization that playing for the Sioux is the best choice a player could make! :silly:

I bet the Panzer brothers never dreamed of playing for the Sioux, how about Andy Schneider, Nick Fuher, and many others. :silly: Just let EJ go to the pros before you guys ruin his career, like some other golden boy whose golden luster seems to have been smudged off. Please don't ruin another quality player.

I would have to agree a lil bit on Porter, It seems to me that he has undeveloped (if thats a word) in the past year. He is skating real hard, but isnt putting up numbers that a person who is an NHL prospect should be putting up, 7-16-23, this year and 12-3-15 the season before. Yes his numbers went up but IMO in the wrong direction in terms of goals and assists.

I think Porter had a different role and line to play on this year than previously. Though that's my impression so I haven't really compared the seasons.

I think Porter had a different role and line to play on this year than previously. Though that's my impression so I haven't really compared the seasons.

I think that's precisely the reason why Porter's goal totals dropped. Another thing of note: I read in places that scouts were not too high on Porter's defensive play. I see that Porter had a TON of ice time as a defensive forward this year. Maybe Hakstol saw the potential in that facet of the game and put him on a line with that role in mind, hoping to create offense on that line while improving Porter's defensive abilities. His goals went down, but his numbers went up. IMO, that's not "undeveloping" at all.

As for what I project: St. Louis does need scorers, but Pittsburgh and St. Louis do need DEFENSE especially. Unless St. Louis trades down, I would be VERY surprised if EJ didn't go to St. Louis.

Kessel's drop to #5 is quite surprising to me. I think his potential is greater than that of Staal. I think a more accurate picture would be:

1. EJ

2. Toews

3. Kessel

4. Mueller

5. Staal

But that's just me.

On another note: Did anyone notice how Forney went from a mid-first rounder to an early second rounder? I think his injury REALLY hurt his draft stock. On a positive note, LaPoint went from a late 5th rounder to an early second rounder.

I remember when both Porter and Stafford came in as freshmen. Stafford had more hype to him, but Porter had more of an immediate impact. He fit in right from the start. Looking at it now, I am a little disappointed that he isn't more of a scorer than he is based on what I saw in him as a freshman. Meanwhile Stafford has really progressed. However, Dagies has a good point that it may have been his role on the checking line that has held his numbers down somewhat. Hard to say. I am still glad that he chose to be a Fighting Sioux player.

My point is that Jack Johnson has proved that your theory, "it doesn't matter what his dreams are" is totally bogus. Of course it matters. It's just a hard concept for Sioux fans to relate too because most of their players didn't grow up dreaming of being Sioux. That's not a negative comment on the UND program, it's just simply the way it is. UND's players come from all over, while virtually Minnesota's entire roster wanted to be Gophers their whole life. Johnson will play for the Gophers for one season.

We heard this same argument about Mueller last year. "He's always wanted to be a Gopher." Well, that didn't work out. The situations are different with every player. No one knows what they are thinking, or what the team that drafted them is thinking.

That said, I believe that Erik Johnson will play at least one year at UMN.

I think that's precisely the reason why Porter's goal totals dropped. Another thing of note: I read in places that scouts were not too high on Porter's defensive play. I see that Porter had a TON of ice time as a defensive forward this year. Maybe Hakstol saw the potential in that facet of the game and put him on a line with that role in mind, hoping to create offense on that line while improving Porter's defensive abilities. His goals went down, but his numbers went up. IMO, that's not "undeveloping" at all.

As for what I project: St. Louis does need scorers, but Pittsburgh and St. Louis do need DEFENSE especially. Unless St. Louis trades down, I would be VERY surprised if EJ didn't go to St. Louis.

Kessel's drop to #5 is quite surprising to me. I think his potential is greater than that of Staal. I think a more accurate picture would be:

1. EJ

2. Toews

3. Kessel

4. Mueller

5. Staal

But that's just me.

On another note: Did anyone notice how Forney went from a mid-first rounder to an early second rounder? I think his injury REALLY hurt his draft stock. On a positive note, LaPoint went from a late 5th rounder to an early second rounder.

I think Staal will go ahead of either Kessel or Mueller. Staal is a force and learned a thing or two playing against Toews during their Bantam years against each other.

We heard this same argument about Mueller last year. "He's always wanted to be a Gopher." Well, that didn't work out. The situations are different with every player. No one knows what they are thinking, or what the team that drafted them is thinking.

That said, I believe that Erik Johnson will play at least one year at UMN.

This said, I still will only believe EJ will play with the Gophers when he makes a formal announcement of such after the draft (or at the draft for that matter) and/or actually suits up for the Gophers.

Vegas- Alright, put Staal ahead of Mueller. I put him lower because there's a lot of hype on Staal based on the fact that his older brother is somewhat of a star. Name=nothing in hockey. Wayne Gretzky was great. Anyone know how great his younger brother was in the NHL? I think he has... what... 1 NHL game under his belt? I don't recall. Staal looks good, sure, but I can't help but wonder how much of his draft stock (especially the hype) is related to Jordan being Erik's younger bro.

1. EJ

2. Toews

3. Kessel

4. Mueller

5. Staal

But that's just me.

You've probably seen Staal play alot. :silly:

NHL Central Scouting Profiles for Sioux Recruits

Mike Forney-F-Thief River Falls HS (MN)

Mid Term Ranking-43

Final Ranking-39

MICHAEL HAS A WIDE STANCE WITH A LONG STRIDE

In their March report, ISS had Forney at #13, same as in February. He wasn't in their top 15 before that. I haven't seen anything more current than that.

link

Obviously, ISS thinks much more highly of him than CSS, but I don't see how you can say his stock is dropping because of that.