SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL draft news

jk

Born 9-23-1986 Makes him 19 years old.

This wouldn't make him too old to be drafted. Just way less likely. He's considered to be an 'over-age' draft candidate like Salcido was last year for CC. Like Jones, Zajac could be drafted this year but it would be in the late rounds.

They have Jones as somewhere around a 5th or 6th round candidate. To me, that'd be great, but I'd expect him to go in the mid to late 6th round or in the 7th round somewhere.

As for Forney's draft stock, I guess I mixed up the CSS with the ISS then. It seemed like he went from #13 to #30 something awfully quick to me. Guess I was wrong.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this was posted or not already...interesting news on how this guy thinks the NHL Draft will look like come June.

It's about half-way down the page when it goes through the 1st 7 Picks.

ESPN.COM

I like the sound of this:

Draft: Take Toews. Have him go back to North Dakota, play in another World Junior tournament, and win a National Championship in the spring. Then, play him with Jack Skille for the 2007-08 Blackhawks season.

Except the part about having him play for the 2007-08 Blackhawks.

Can Kessel play in the NHL next season? He has multiple red flags -- he lacks vision and his defensive hockey is well below par. Still, he has the speed and the shot. There have been whispers that he has "Lindros-like" family concerns behind the scenes. If he is there at No. 2, do you take him and put him on the wing with Malkin or Crosby?

Kessel would probably score 40-50 goals next season playing with Crosby, despite any personal rivalry they might have. Get Sid the puck, use your speed, learn how to get open and finish. Good times. He also could be a minus-412.

Ouch! Must be time for a press conference to straighten everyone out. :)

I can't agree with the "lacks vision" aspect of that criticism. I saw Kessel make quite a few nice plays throughout the season because of his vision.

I agree, further I really don't think the defensive play is as much of an issue in the NHL as it is in college. Besides a good coach can fix much of that. Kessle at 5 would be a no-brainer... I do expect to see him at the U for one more year unless that environment in that locker room is as bad as some suggest.

The 'hawks might be watchable then. :)

If you want Toews back next year, you may not want the Blackhawks to draft him. The Chicago papers from this past week indicated that they want to draft an NHL ready forward who can step in next year, and they mentioned Toews, Kessel and Staal by name. They also were quoted as saying that if Toews was there at No. 3, they would likely take him and felt that he was ready to play immediately.

If you want Toews back next year, you may not want the Blackhawks to draft him. The Chicago papers from this past week indicated that they want to draft an NHL ready forward who can step in next year, and they mentioned Toews, Kessel and Staal by name. They also were quoted as saying that if Toews was there at No. 3, they would likely take him and felt that he was ready to play immediately.

ouch - I hope they opt for the "one move wonder" - perhaps a press conference would help

not news to me. i have thought this since the season had ended. i believe toews, oshie, kessel and e johnson could all be playing in the pros next season. they are all that talented. i hope all 4 play but ya never , never know!!!

not news to me. i have thought this since the season had ended. i believe toews, oshie, kessel and e johnson could all be playing in the pros next season. they are all that talented. i hope all 4 play but ya never , never know!!!

Yeah well pretty soon with all these departures and potential departures they will be holding open tryouts for the Sioux hockey team next year....Toews ready for the NHL at age 18.....I don't think so he is not Crosby.

Yeah well pretty soon with all these departures and potential departures they will be holding open tryouts for the Sioux hockey team next year....Toews ready for the NHL at age 18.....I don't think so he is not Crosby.

Toews looks 10x better then that kid Pierre-Marc Bouchard the Wild put into the NHL at 18. I'd say he's probably a better player today as we speak. He may not be Crosby at 18, but there is a lot of room between Crosby and your basic NHL player.

I'd assume it will come down to whether or not Toews wants to return to UND or get on with his career. His money will be the same this season or next so he simply has to decide.

Toews looks 10x better then that kid Pierre-Marc Bouchard the Wild put into the NHL at 18. I'd say he's probably a better player today as we speak. He may not be Crosby at 18, but there is a lot of room between Crosby and your basic NHL player.

I'd assume it will come down to whether or not Toews wants to return to UND or get on with his career. His money will be the same this season or next so he simply has to decide.

Toews looks better offensively than all but two forwards on the Wild and equal to one of them (Rolston). Sorry, but if Toews were to step on the ice with the Wild next season, he'd be first line with Gaborik and Rolston right away. Which means the Wild would finally have a legit scoring line.

Then again, Lemaire would then bench Toews for spending too much time crashing the net rather than staying back guarding his man. :)

Hell, with Toews' offensive talent, it probably doesn't fit Risenbrough's "system" anyhow. :);)

st louis....could be kessel or toews....not sure if they want johnson as as much as they need a scorer??

my wish would be toews being picked #1 to prolong his career with oshie..that would be fricken sweet...

As a lifelong Sioux Fan and a St Louis resident - I agree. We're okay on defense with Backman/Jackman combination (as long as Barret stays healthy), but the Blues did have a hard time puttin' the biscuit in the basket this year.

Then again, Lemaire would then bench Toews for spending too much time crashing the net rather than staying back guarding his man. :D

Don't get me started on Lemaire. Martin Brodeur gave that guy an additional 10 years of NHL head coaching pay. New Jersey has been significantly better without him. With his reported demands for sound defensive play I still don't see it on the ice. I don't usually watch the Wild unless they are playing a decent team, but I think the Wild would have been a lot easier to cheer for had they taken a shot with Blais.

I was shocked to read in last week's Sports Illustrated that Lemaire had been voted the NHL's best coach through a poll of current players! His schtick is getting old, as is the Wild's penchant for "sticking with the system".

I was shocked to read in last week's Sports Illustrated that Lemaire had been voted the NHL's best coach through a poll of current players! His schtick is getting old, as is the Wild's penchant for "sticking with the system".

Yeah, I agree. He doesn't exactly seem like a player's coach but then again the players may feel differently. He seems like a coach that is set in his ways and won't change for anybody. The Wild need more talent, I think they have done ok with the talent that has been on the roster. O'Sullivan better make the team next year. They need scoring. Jacques is not at all a fan of college hockey. That's enough to make me not care that much for him.

we might not like how he coaches but lets remember a couple years back when he had a bunch of nobodys to work with and made a strong run in the stanley cup playoffs..:D

remember though that a good number of those nobody's were veterans that nobody else wanted. now he's trying to do it with 19-23 yr olds that nobody wants, with the obvious few exceptions

edit: maybe not that nobody wants, but aren't ready for full time NHL playing time.