SiouxSports.com Forum

Things you would like to see

dakotadan

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GF needs a 10x10 block area of rental/student housing. people who buy the houses know what type of area they are getting. put a park in the center, much like university park, because students like to spend time outside. i'd imagine it will need some police patrol, but at least that way the cops know a general area, rather than how it's spread out now. some restaurants could build on the fringe to attack students and it'd be like a small village on the outskirts of grand forks. as long as the houses are average to upscale, i think the "right" type of students would move in.

If I'm not mistaken I think the city has plans to add ramps to the interstate at 17th by the Alerus in the future. I have also seen other people mention it on here before. But I would also like to see more ramps connecting South Columbia Rd to the interstate. I think the main roads out there are 40th, 46th, and probably even go as far out as 62nd Ave. This would help with all of the development that will most likely take place on South Columbia in the next 10 years.

Bronson Property completely developed with a New Urbanism theme, with a Chipotle on the premises.

Business competencies in aviation, avionics, biotechnology, environmental/meterological, educational software, fuel cell/wind, and food processing/nutrition supplement sectors, with multiple local companies in each.

A dinky Dinky Town near UND.

Quadrupling of number of downtown apartments/condo fueling an increase in number of businesses/restaurants.

Resolution of the student seating issue at the REA, with an environment far exceeding memories of the Old Ralph.

Pembina escarpement wind energy project a reality, with headquarters in GF.

A high 8-figure athletic endowment for the Sioux.

Additional attractions to the Alerus/Canad/water park complex: College Hockey HOF, museum, restaurant complex, and an adjoining office park.

A major decrease in property taxes made possible by a growing, efficient city and in-filling of existing space.

Distinctive architecture in each new or renewed section of the city.

NCAA regional championships by the Fighting Sioux at the REA on a recurring basis.

Smaller towns within a 60-mile radius and beyond revitalized based on Grand Fork's economic spillover.

Gateway Drive actually reflecting kindly upon GF.

Bioremediation of a huge track of alkali land west of town for housing, with man-made hills and lakes, allowing trees to flourish, birds to flock, schools of fish, and lake ice and interconnecting canals to skate on.

Be an incubator for musical, writing, and artistic talent.

Grand Forks as home to a Big Sky conference school.

UND playing Ohio State and Notre Dame in men's lacrosse in the spring at the Alerus.

A new airport terminal with an expanded flight schedule and destinations.

The nickname Fighting Sioux celebrated by all people and understood as the ability of all Dakotans to overcome life's adversities.

A population who believes the seemingly impossible is possible, and is thankful for what is just the beginning of a miraculous transformation of a city.

Bronson Property completely developed with a New Urbanism theme, with a Chipotle on the premises.

Business competencies in aviation, avionics, biotechnology, environmental/meterological, educational software, fuel cell/wind, and food processing/nutrition supplement sectors, with multiple local companies in each.

A dinky Dinky Town near UND.

Quadrupling of number of downtown apartments/condo fueling an increase in number of businesses/restaurants.

Resolution of the student seating issue at the REA, with an environment far exceeding memories of the Old Ralph.

Pembina escarpement wind energy project a reality, with headquarters in GF.

A high 8-figure athletic endowment for the Sioux.

Additional attractions to the Alerus/Canad/water park complex: College Hockey HOF, museum, restaurant complex, and an adjoining office park.

A major decrease in property taxes made possible by a growing, efficient city and in-filling of existing space.

Distinctive architecture in each new or renewed section of the city.

NCAA regional championships by the Fighting Sioux at the REA on a recurring basis.

Smaller towns within a 60-mile radius and beyond revitalized based on Grand Fork's economic spillover.

Gateway Drive actually reflecting kindly upon GF.

Bioremediation of a huge track of alkali land west of town for housing, with man-made hills and lakes, allowing trees to flourish, birds to flock, schools of fish, and lake ice and interconnecting canals to skate on.

Be an incubator for musical, writing, and artistic talent.

Grand Forks as home to a Big Sky conference school.

UND playing Ohio State and Notre Dame in men's lacrosse in the spring at the Alerus.

A new airport terminal with an expanded flight schedule and destinations.

The nickname Fighting Sioux celebrated by all people and understood as the ability of all Dakotans to overcome life's adversities.

A population who believes the seemingly impossible is possible, and is thankful for what is just the beginning of a miraculous transformation of a city.

Sounds like you want to be like Fargo! :p

If you think that the Ponderosa is the high end steakhouse in Grand Forks, you need to drive around the town a bit more.

Exactly, you need to drive to the other end of town to the Bronze Boot. Not many on the south end of town specialize in steak. All I know is when I get done golfing with a vendor at Kingswalk, I end up going to Grizzly's every time or stay at Eagles Crest. It would be nice to have some other choices on the South end. If you know of others on the South end, please share.

National Championships...four in one year and the NACDA Director's Cup.

Women's Basketball

Men's Swimming & Diving

Women's Swimming & Diving

Men's Hockey

The first three are distinct possibilities and given UND's late run to the Frozen Four final last year...who knows?!?

Another Red Pepper next to the Dakota Textbook Store by Dagwoods, complete with a drive-up window. :p;)

I thought that they were opening a red pepper at the Valley Dairy across from the Alerus Center. I have also heard that they are opening a Red Pepper in Crookston very soon.

I thought that they were opening a red pepper at the Valley Dairy across from the Alerus Center. I have also heard that they are opening a Red Pepper in Crookston very soon.

Not sure about the rumors, but the VD was indeed selling Red Pepper food. Maybe as a test market?

I know that the Pepper is going to open in that location previously stated because that's what the permit in the windows says. ;)

Agree to many of those previous:

i would like to see grand forks embrace the new medical plaza that is being built on the south end of washington. Another Hospital is and increasing need, many go to fargo because they are unhappy with the monopoly of Altru.

although not feasable, i would like the city to relocate the trailer park on columbia and let the university build moderate housing, with the idea the flavor of a dinky town.

And heres one about Capones if your interested.

The dinner course is rather pricey, with most entrees costing upwards of $36.00.

Does G.F. have any other restaurants where entrees begin at $36? That struck me as near the top for the area, though I admittedly am pretty out-of-touch with the G.F. restaurant scene.

Does G.F. have any other restaurants where entrees begin at $36? That struck me as near the top for the area, though I admittedly am pretty out-of-touch with the G.F. restaurant scene.

If those prices are correct, I guess that is one restaurant I will not be frequenting. I am glad that some people in GF must be making some good money, but part of me wonders where they are making that good money. There are only so many doctors and professors, where are the rest of these high paying jobs?

I think a restaurant that would work well in Grand Forks is Ruby Tuesday. They have KICK-ASS fries and burgers there. They have something like 30+ varieties of burgers there. The chili cheese fries with ranch and sour cream are a party to your tongue and a burden to your arteries. ;) I would think that if Fargo has two Ruby Tuesday's, then GF should probably have one too.

I also heard about this place called Italian Moon (on Washington, I think??) I don't know how good the food is, but a friend of mine told me it was really good. Anyway, I drove past it last year the last time I was in GF, and I was thinking maybe they should build one out by 32nd.

Speaking of 32nd, why hasn't that place been completely developed yet?? I drove down there and I would see a lineup to the south side of the street of big-box store, barren field, then a strip mall, then a barren field, something else, then a barren field, etc. I'm surprised there hasn't been more development down there. Quite a few empty spaces to build some stuff on.

I think a restaurant that would work well in Grand Forks is Ruby Tuesday. They have KICK-ASS fries and burgers there. They have something like 30+ varieties of burgers there. The chili cheese fries with ranch and sour cream are a party to your tongue and a burden to your arteries. :blush: I would think that if Fargo has two Ruby Tuesday's, then GF should probably have one too.

I also heard about this place called Italian Moon (on Washington, I think??) I don't know how good the food is, but a friend of mine told me it was really good. Anyway, I drove past it last year the last time I was in GF, and I was thinking maybe they should build one out by 32nd.

Speaking of 32nd, why hasn't that place been completely developed yet?? I drove down there and I would see a lineup to the south side of the street of big-box store, barren field, then a strip mall, then a barren field, something else, then a barren field, etc. I'm surprised there hasn't been more development down there. Quite a few empty spaces to build some stuff on.

I like your suggestions. I'm not sure how another Italian Moon would do, you never know though. I'm a fan of Ruby Tuesday's, but I think GF needs a different kind of restaurant.

I've never been a fan of the Italian Moon (then again I don't like the Red Pepper either.....don't kill me), but I've always thought there needs to be some more high class restaurants.

Sanders is really nice, but something like Olive Garden (already suggested) would be nice. Some place you could go dress up and go out to and not feel out of place.

If those prices are correct, I guess that is one restaurant I will not be frequenting. I am glad that some people in GF must be making some good money, but part of me wonders where they are making that good money. There are only so many doctors and professors, where are the rest of these high paying jobs?

Beets and Taters