SiouxSports.com Forum

Things you would like to see

dakotadan

I am always sitting around thinking about things I would like to see done in Grand Forks. I thought it would be fun to start a thread and see what everyone else would like to see done in the Grand Cities. This could be stores/restaurants you want to come to town, community services you would like to see offered, construction, new roads, developments, etc.

Basically, if you were the Mayor of Grand Forks, tell us what you would do?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grand Forks is getting a Erbert & Gerbert's sub shop but I haven't heard where it is going yet.

Yeah. Not sure which blocks don't have a Subway on it already :huh:

Ok, the restaurant I'd LOVE to see in Grand Forks is Doolittle's. Aviation town, aviation themed restaurant. PLUS the food is Oh My Parise good.

Also, more ethnic food would be a plus such as:

1. Mexican food that doesn't suck. I mean, Mexican Village and Paradisos are HARDLY decent mexican food.

2. Cuban food is MUY Excellente!!! It is also MUY Improbable (whatever the spanish word for that is)

3. A Thai restaurant. One just opened in Moorhead, MN and OH MY PARISE it is good (if you don't mind that the service is slower than molasses).

4. American ethnic. Yup, I'm talking about BBQ. Yeah, you could go commercial such as Famous Dave's, but maybe a place that is more authentic.

Non Restaurants:

1. A decent movie theater (I guess one is on the way but still... it ISN'T there yet)

Even though I'm about as anti-Sioux as they come, I also have a HUGE general interest in city planning and development, and that's one of the things I'm working to specialize in through college. Therefore, I cannot resist the opportunity to talk about city development in any case, on this thread, much like the thread about Fargo I started on Bisonville. That's why I'm very interested in this thread and replying to it. You'll hear no smack from me on this thread. :p

Even though I have had my gripes with Grand Forks in the past, I for one would like to see the town grow again, and become something of a unique college town like Ames or Madison. There's no resaon for that not to happen.

Putting that aside, there are quite a few things I would like to see in GF, but I guess the first thing off the top of my head is a new movie theatre. That Carmike kind of looks like a dump, and it would be nice to see a new 10-12 screen stadium theatre attached to that new CanadInns hotel. I don't know if they decided to add the theatre to the hotel or not, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I also think Grand Forks could use either a TGI Friday's or a Chili's, and build it in an outparcel by Columbia mall. West Acres has both a TGI Friday's and Chili's that were built as outparcels several years ago, if I recall.

Another thing I'm thinking of is an Office Depot. They recently reopened the one in Fargo (business is doing well now as opposed to 2001 when it closed), and the atmosphere at those places looks a lot less tacky and warehouse-y than OffficeMax. I always thought OfficeMax was the Wal-Mart of office supply stores.

I'm on a caffeine buzz at 7:30 am, so I'm thinking of a lot of stuff. :p

++++

I've never been in greater agreement with a post by a Sioux fan in my life.

That'd solve all the other notions posted here too, now wouldn't it. Those other things would show up to take part in that economy (well, except for the trees).

I'd love to see a Brazilian steakhouse. Rodezio Grill is a great mini-chain that has locations in Salt Lake City and Denver that is really excellent. It would be great to see them in Grand Forks.

Another great addition would be a Trader Joe's grocery store. Being a college town, I think there would be a market for a slightly higher end grocery store. This would fit nicely in the new developments out by REA.

And although I finally flew enough to be a silver elite on Northwest, Grand Forks sorely needs a second airline serving the community. The city should court American Airlines for a route to Chicago. This would add a little competition and get another airline into the state, one that is not in bankruptcy.

You need fewer chain restaurants, and get some good quality mom & pop types. Not American family either, but real Italian, Mexican, Indian, whatever. But real stuff. Seems like our society is getting more and more comfortable with the chains, and losing the flavor of the real cultures. It's possible there won't be enough call for that in GF, but I'd like to see more of that all over.

You need fewer chain restaurants, and get some good quality mom & pop types. Not American family either, but real Italian, Mexican, Indian, whatever. But real stuff. Seems like our society is getting more and more comfortable with the chains, and losing the flavor of the real cultures. It's possible there won't be enough call for that in GF, but I'd like to see more of that all over.

I would love a real Mexican restaurant in Grand Forks. Paradiso isn't bad, but it can no way compare to the Mexican food I've enjoyed in California.

I would love a real Mexican restaurant in Grand Forks. Paradiso isn't bad, but it can no way compare to the Mexican food I've enjoyed in California.

Williston opened a real Mexican cafe last summer. Good stuff. And really authentic in that all its workers were deported about a month ago :p

It's still open but they're looking for sudo-Mexican workers (with US citizenship).

Check out Paulo's in East Grand its much better than Paradiso and Tortilla Flats. Its located next to Cabellas. Excellent food and usually pretty good service.

On a side note i have an ongoing joke with a friend from California because the California Mexican food is " a little more mexican" than the food in mexico.

We had a little place called Lola's, which had excellent Northern Italian food and a great Wednesday night (I think) special...A personal pizza and a beer for $5. However, they were forced to close becuase, as the owner put it, the people of Grand Forks don't want a unique dining experience.

Hasn't Grand Forks tried to support more authentic mexican restaurants but failed. I thought that where Grizzley's stands now has been at least two mexican restaurants. I think a TGI Fridays would probably make it, possibly an Olive Garden, but people in the upper midwest like their food pretty bland and cheap. We are a meat and potato's culture. I'm almost surprised that the Bronze Boot has lasted this long, remember how popular Smoky's was in West Fargo? Well it's an eye-sore now.

We had a little place called Lola's, which had excellent Northern Italian food and a great Wednesday night (I think) special...A personal pizza and a beer for $5. However, they were forced to close becuase, as the owner put it, the people of Grand Forks don't want a unique dining experience.

Umm...I seem to recall that Lola's closed after a boatload of fire code violations were discovered there.

Hasn't Grand Forks tried to support more authentic mexican restaurants but failed. I thought that where Grizzley's stands now has been at least two mexican restaurants. I'm almost surprised that the Bronze Boot has lasted this long, remember how popular Smoky's was in West Fargo?

The mexican restaurants that where Grizzly's is now were far from authentic Mexican food.

I'm not suprised about Bronze Boot, they serve a great meal, have a lot of great choices on their menu, they are a local mom and pop joint, and they are super busy every weekend.