SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

On 9/10/2024 at 4:15 PM, TwamleyShuffle said:

Let’s be real, will SCSU exist in 10 years? That’s the better question

A large % of the enrollment at SCSU are high school students utilizing PSCO.  Without that program things would be much worse at SCSU.  Those that are familiar:

Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) is an opportunity for Minnesota resident high school students in grades 10, 11 or 12, to earn dual credit for both high school and college. Most commonly, PSEO courses are delivered by the postsecondary institution (PSI) online or in person on campus.

• Like 1

Interesting read on Erik Pohlkamp

Erik Pohlkamp had a strong freshman season at Bemidji State with 11 goals and 23 points in 32 games. He’s an NHL draft pick. He tied for the NCAA lead in goals by a freshman defenseman and was seventh in points.

Pohlkamp is now likely to be a key member of the defense corps at the University of Denver this season as the Pioneers seek to defend their national championship. When he entered the transfer portal, his experience playing for Carle with the United States at the WJC was top of mind.

“To be honest, if I didn’t have ‘D.C.’ as a coach at world juniors, I don’t think I would have ever ended up here. Absolutely not,” Pohlkamp said Tuesday, one day after the defending champs opened training camp for the 2024-25 season. “I think it would have been North Dakota, or definitely closer to home.”

32 minutes ago, cberkas said:

How can ASU get a verbal from a WHL player before the class action suit has even been decided? I know it's inevitable, but doesn't an NCAA school have to wait for the official ruling before a Canadian player can commit from the CHL to the NCAA?

This will increase the overall talent pool in D1 hockey, but won't it exclude some marginal American players because NCAA rosters will now be inundated with CHL players?

1 minute ago, .357 said:

How can ASU get a verbal from a WHL player before the class action suit has even been decided? I know it's inevitable, but doesn't an NCAA school have to wait for the official ruling before a Canadian player can commit from the CHL to the NCAA?

This will increase the overall talent pool in D1 hockey, but won't it exclude some marginal American players because NCAA rosters will now be inundated with CHL players?

He's not the first player, maybe the first that aged out of the CH, but he still has to clear the NCAA first unless they remove the ban. I look him up and not surprised he's trying to go NCAA. 

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

He's not the first player, maybe the first that aged out of the CH, but he still has to clear the NCAA first unless they remove the ban. I look him up and not surprised he's trying to go NCAA. 

Yeah I doubt that he’ll light up NCAA. He’s just looking to keep playing puck at a higher level. 

23 hours ago, .357 said:

They are pushing it because they believe the NCAA won't want to fight a bunch of lawsuits on this. It's piling on to force the issue.

As I said earlier, the bigger issue will be with "of age" players, especially ones who are NHL draft picks. The rules there have to be bargained by the league and NHLPA in terms of RFA status, etc.  Right now the rules are different for drafted NCAA players and drafted CHL players.

I agree that short term it will create some choices where a CHL "graduate" might be a better choice than a kid from say the NAHL for limited spots.  Long term, however, I believe it fuels college hockey expansion.  More experienced players to help make a fledgling program competitive more quickly.

From a player perspective, I like that it gives kids more choices on where they develop while still keeping NCAA an option...CHL is great hockey.  

Blue Chippas still gonna chippa...first rounders will sign and follow the NHL/CHL rules.  I don't expect them foregoing signing bonus and not signing in order to stay college eligible.  Your 6th round pick out of the WHL might not sign though in order to keep college as an option.  That's where the league and especially the NHLPA is going to weigh in.

• Upvote 2