SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

But again....the initial poster was talking about as an NHL prospect.   I don't think anyone, including the Hawks, thought Toews would turn out to be the type of player he has become, or achieved the results he has to date.  Otherwise he would have went #1 in a second.

You sure about that? I think Nicklas Backstrom would at least keep it close even if he doesn't have Toews's intangibles. No doubt JT is clearly better than Stall, Johnson, Kessel, or Giroux. 

You sure about that? I think Nicklas Backstrom would at least keep it close even if he doesn't have Toews's intangibles. No doubt JT is clearly better than Stall, Johnson, Kessel, or Giroux. 

Toews is better than everyone you just mentioned.

Toews is better than everyone you just mentioned.

Agreed. IMHO one of the top 5 players of all time if you consider on the ice/off the ice behavior and leadership. No question in my mind. Toews is the epitome of how a pro sports athlete should conduct themselves in all aspects of life.

Obviously Hakstol has to like his 15-16 class as is, and I know it depends on who stays and who goes; but who is likely to come up for next year and does UND have any wiggle room left for scholarships?   Is there really anyone realistic out there that would be ice ready for next season?   I have read this thread for a while and there are some poeple who have followed this much more closley than I, I'm curious to hear how many scholarships people think are likely to be offered?

Obviously Hakstol has to like his 15-16 class as is, and I know it depends on who stays and who goes; but who is likely to come up for next year and does UND have any wiggle room left for scholarships?   Is there really anyone realistic out there that would be ice ready for next season?   I have read this thread for a while and there are some poeple who have followed this much more closley than I, I'm curious to hear how many scholarships people think are likely to be offered?

That conversation goes on over here:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/14045-committed-sioux-recruits/page-179

Riley Simpson had a good regular season this year following last year having injures. Simpson played 60 games this year 16-23-39 right now in the playoffs he has a goal and an assist in two games for the Spruce Grove Saints.

Brandon Biro finished the regular season tied in scoring with Rhett Gardner 21-33-54 (Gardner was 24-30-54). Biro is 2-1-3 in two playoff games for the Spruce Grove Saints.

Anyone know who was visiting last weekend?  I came through the stairwell just as Barry whisked a kid and father downstairs to the locker room on Sat night.  Didn't get a very good look at the kid other than to say he appeared tall, lighter hair, and had "2015" on the tail of his hoodie, like he's a HS senior this year.  Had to be pretty cool to get down to the team as they celebrated sweeping CC and the Penrose presentation!

Anyone know who was visiting last weekend? I came through the stairwell just as Barry whisked a kid and father downstairs to the locker room on Sat night. Didn't get a very good look at the kid other than to say he appeared tall, lighter hair, and had "2015" on the tail of his hoodie, like he's a HS senior this year. Had to be pretty cool to get down to the team as they celebrated sweeping CC and the Penrose presentation!

I didn't see any before the game when/where the players usually meet the coaches.

Curious about other's assessment on EGF players.   I watched a lot of the MN HS Tournament and EGF.  Their first line was completely dominant against very good Mahtomedi and Hermantown teams.   Bowen is obviously coming and my guess is that he will be a stud: but I wonder what the opinion on Tweten and Grant Loven are.   I know people are in love with Tweten as a power forward, but Loven looked like he could have scored about 10 goals in that tournament and looked dominant on his own.   I know its a huge jump in competition but I would love to see that line at UND.   Bowen is the most explosive, Tweten is the power, and Loven looks a lot faster than I thought.   What do people think the chances that whole line continue to wear green? 

Also on EGF, I hear about a lot of goalies in HS but No one mentions Josh Weber.  What I have seen of him he looks very solid.  Is there something I'm missing on him?   Chances of him landing a D1 scholarship somewhere?

Denver Post making it sound like Auston Matthews is going to Denver or maybe Michigan.

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_27815453/denvers-jim-montgomery-excited-2015-16-after-pioneers

Chambers isn't always the most accurate with his info, but I did get a chuckle out of him and Montgomery already penciling Matthews into a line for next season.  That's good stuff.

Matthews is an elite talent...if he commits to any college, he'll pretty much be a near shoe-in for their top line right away.

But this article makes it sound like it's a done deal.  What happens if he doesn't go to DU?  They'll have to rethink their entire 15/16 team strategy!  :D

If you told me that we were going to get 2 of the big recruits that are out there. Boeser, Mismash, Jost, Fabbro, Matthews I would have been pretty happy. Now I am just greedy... I do think that until he is on campus Mismash is a CHL risk. Though as a Minnesota kid, a little less so.

he has to accelerate and there are no indications he's doing so.  he's going to juniors. 

Not according to this article.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisconsin-hockey-recruiting/2015/3/10/8182805/auston-matthews-recruiting

"Auston Matthews, a dynamic center projected by some to be the first overall pick in the 2016 NHL draft, is accelerating his academics at the U.S. National Team Developmental Program with an eye toward being eligible for college in 2015-16. According to sources, he's told acquaintances that UW is one of the schools he's interested in. The NTDP under-18 squad played the Badgers in Madison in December and Matthews scored two goals en route to a 4-1 exhibition victory."

Team USA roster has been announced for the U18 Worlds. 

We will find out after April 26th where Auston Matthews and Matthew Tkachuk will go WHL/OHL or NCAA.

Prospective recruits that made the U18 team.

Auston Matthews

Matthew Tkachuk

Chad Krys

Jake Oettinger

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/4/7/8361471/usa-hockey-roster-iihf-under-18-world-championship-usntdp