SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Yea that pretty much goes without saying. Was there ever a ND player in the last 40 years to go from HS straight to college?

Mike LaMoine - 1985 GFRR, Lee Brodeur 1984 Grafton, Dean Hanson - 1984 GFC, Scott Dub Park River 1982 or 1983, Dean French Grafton, 1985.  Jim Kropp, Jamestown 1985.  Bliss Littler and Paul Zimmerman and Pete Zimmerman and Eric Nelson from Minot in the mid-1980's could have gone D-1 but I think they tried too hard following Jeff Bredahl, Minot 1981, getting on with the Sioux.  I think Bredahl played a year of junior hockey before he got on the Sioux.   They could have played for Michigan Tech or CC or some other colleges though.  These guys were from when I played H.S. hockey in the early and mid-1980's and I'm sure there would be more but I can't think of them right now.   I thought that GFRR had a guy that went directly from H.S. to Princeton a couple of years back.  I forget his name but I remember that he was Mr. Hockey in like 2008 or something. 

Mike LaMoine - 1985 GFRR, Lee Brodeur 1984 Grafton, Dean Hanson - 1984 GFC, Scott Dub Park River 1982 or 1983, Dean French Grafton, 1985. Jim Kropp, Jamestown 1985. Bliss Littler and Paul Zimmerman and Pete Zimmerman and Eric Nelson from Minot in the mid-1980's could have gone D-1 but I think they tried too hard following Jeff Bredahl, Minot 1981, getting on with the Sioux. I think Bredahl played a year of junior hockey before he got on the Sioux. They could have played for Michigan Tech or CC or some other colleges though. These guys were from when I played H.S. hockey in the early and mid-1980's and I'm sure there would be more but I can't think of them right now. I thought that GFRR had a guy that went directly from H.S. to Princeton a couple of years back. I forget his name but I remember that he was Mr. Hockey in like 2008 or something.

Eric Melland. I'm pretty sure he played for the Stars first.

Minnesota High School State Tournament gets started Wednesday with Class A games.

11:00 #2 Mahtomedi vs. New Ulm- uncommitted players to watch Mahtomedi- #27 Jack Becker(JR), #22 Jack Heinsch(JR)

1:00 #3 East Grand Forks vs. New Prague- uncommitted players to watch EGF- #19 Tanner Tweten(JR), #29 Grant Loven(JR), #15 Trevor Selk(JR)

6:00 #1 Hermantown vs. Spring Lake Park- uncommitted players to watch Hermantown- #7 Ryan Kero(SR), #6 Nate Pionk(SR), #27 Cole Koepke(JR), #5 Wyatt Aamodt(JR), #11 Ryan Sandelin(SO)

8:00 #4 Breck vs. #5 St. Cloud Apollo- uncommitted players to watch Breck- #8 Chase Ellingson(JR), #27 Tyler Lindstrom(SR), #28 Grant Parrish(SO)

Apollo- #7 Tanner Breidenbach(JR), #17 Gino Lucia(JR)

Class AA Thursday

11:00 #2 Edina vs. Bemidji- uncommitted players to watch Edina- #16 Parker Mismash(SR), #18 Clayton Phillips(FR), #10 Sam Walker(FR), #23 Bram Scheerer(SO)

Bemidji- #5 Jake Leitner(SR), #19 Brady Tatro(SO), #39 Jack Johnson(JR), #24 Chase Hartje(FR), #21 Nick Leitner(JR)

1:00 #3 St. Thomas Academy vs. Duluth East- uncommitted players to watch STA- #19 Peter Tufto(SR), #21 Alec Broetzman(SR), #9 Will Jerry(JR)

Duluth East- #26 Ash Altmann(JR), #19 Nick Altmann(SR), #21 Luke Dow(JR), #5 Garret Worth(FR)

6:00 #1 Lakeville North vs. Hill-Murray- uncommitted players to watch Lakeville North- #6 Max Johnson(JR), #21 Henry Enebak(SO), #9 Taylor Schneider(JR)

Hill-Murray- #14 Zach Mills(SR), #22 Marko Reifenberger(SO), #7 Davis Zarembinski(SR), #15 Dylan Mills(FR)

8:00 #4 Blaine vs. #5 Eden Prairie- uncommitted players to watch Blaine- #17 Luke Notermann(JR), #26 Griffin Fussy(JR)

Eden Prairie- #12 Nolan Sullivan(SO), #4 Nicky Leivermann(SO)

He'll need to get some exposure at the junior level- NoDak prep gets no respect...

Kid needs to finish HS at Devils Lake. Then play juniors one or two years. The college coaches know who he is and where he is. Going to UND's summer camp (or other college camps) is the best exposure. Coaches get a closer look at who the kid is, his practice habits, leadership skills etc. Too many kids get sidetracked by misconceptions that they won't be discovered in their hometowns. They don't need to quit FB or soccer to play hockey in the fall and they don't need to leave hs to play juniors, before they graduate. In fact if they quit other sports to focus on just hockey the Mayo clinic researchers stated in November 2014 single sport athletes tend to peak at age 16-17 as opposed to age 20-22 for the kids who do multiple sports. Those kids also have more injuries. In case some of the beer league hockey guys think the Mayo Sports Med folks don't understand hockey, the dept. chair is Dr. Michael Stuart whose 3 sons played college and NHL hockey. Kid is a prospect and needs time to mature. If we want hs hockey to prosper let these kids grow emotionally, and socially with the kids who have been their teammates since mites and helped them get there.

• Upvote 2

Another prospect is Jon Richards kid from Detroit Lakes. Great kid great speed. Led a very good DL team to section semis. DL had one point loss to Warroad earlier in yr and got beat by EGF in section semis by a goal. That was no fluke. Kid scored over 60 pts and can skate with any of these kids. Only a junior. Still developing physically and will need a yr or two of juniors after hs.

anyone else to keep an eye on at mn state tourney besides tweten? Obviously bowen is commited. Go bemidji and EGF!

I posted the top uncommitted players for each matchup on the last page. Obviously some matchups and teams have more prospects and higher end prospects than others but I tried to at least put a few prospects for each matchup.

I posted the top uncommitted players for each matchup on the last page. Obviously some matchups and teams have more prospects and higher end prospects than others but I tried to at least put a few prospects for each matchup.

Sweet thanks!

Anyone got this Enebek kid from Lakeville North? 22 goals from a sophomore is pretty dang good. Kid is a horse.

Edit: See now he's uncommitted. I like him. Again, 22 goals from a soph, especially since he's not on the Poehling line.

I noticed him at the state tournament last year and have been following his numbers this year he is a pretty nice player. The other uncommitted I like on that Lakeville North team is JR Max Johnson and I believe he plays with Enebak usually.

Anyone got this Enebek kid from Lakeville North? 22 goals from a sophomore is pretty dang good. Kid is a horse.

Edit: See now he's uncommitted. I like him. Again, 22 goals from a soph, especially since he's not on the Poehling line.

His dad was a Gopher, FWIW.

Watching Edina play again tonight I really like the freshman defenseman Clayton Phillips. He was their best defensemen yesterday against Bemidji and I thought he was their best player on the ice tonight against Duluth East. Very impressive player who is only gonna get better.

I know some have talked about Tanner Tweten man I think he needs a serious look. 21 goals on the year and 2 in the final today.

When he plays to his potential he definitely has that ability and his linemate Grant Loven also looked very good in all 3 state tournament games I would be happy if we ended up with that whole line.

Kid needs to finish HS at Devils Lake. Then play juniors one or two years. The college coaches know who he is and where he is. Going to UND's summer camp (or other college camps) is the best exposure. Coaches get a closer look at who the kid is, his practice habits, leadership skills etc. Too many kids get sidetracked by misconceptions that they won't be discovered in their hometowns. They don't need to quit FB or soccer to play hockey in the fall and they don't need to leave hs to play juniors, before they graduate. In fact if they quit other sports to focus on just hockey the Mayo clinic researchers stated in November 2014 single sport athletes tend to peak at age 16-17 as opposed to age 20-22 for the kids who do multiple sports. Those kids also have more injuries. In case some of the beer league hockey guys think the Mayo Sports Med folks don't understand hockey, the dept. chair is Dr. Michael Stuart whose 3 sons played college and NHL hockey. Kid is a prospect and needs time to mature. If we want hs hockey to prosper let these kids grow emotionally, and socially with the kids who have been their teammates since mites and helped them get there.

I've heard the injury piece before, and to me that makes a lot of sense.  I'm curious about "peaking" in what regard? Performance in a particular sport?  Overall general athleticism?  Also I think clarification would be warranted regarding the timing of switching to a single sport- at what age they go to the singular focus probably makes a significant impact.  

As with all things, generalities are dangerous.  For the average d-1 athletic prospect, it probably is just fine to stay at school.  If you are really special- like labeled for the NHL- you likely need to prove your metal against higher end talent earlier.  Hockey is strange with the draft rules and the drafting at 18.

I've heard the injury piece before, and to me that makes a lot of sense.  I'm curious about "peaking" in what regard? Performance in a particular sport?  Overall general athleticism?  Also I think clarification would be warranted regarding the timing of switching to a single sport- at what age they go to the singular focus probably makes a significant impact.  

As with all things, generalities are dangerous.  For the average d-1 athletic prospect, it probably is just fine to stay at school.  If you are really special- like labeled for the NHL- you likely need to prove your metal against higher end talent earlier.  Hockey is strange with the draft rules and the drafting at 18.

You pose a good question. I don't know that it was addressed specifically by sport. Dr. Andrews from Birmingham, the Mayo Sports Med staff and the U of Minn sports med folks have all tried to discourage one sport athletes, and especially playing one sport year round. The comment about peaking early was reference to one sport high school athletes and was not specific as to the sport. If a kid isn't any good at other sports or doesn't enjoy them he or she should do what makes them happy. Too many beer league hockey or basketball adults tell parents and athletes who may not know any better, they should quit other sports if they want to get a college scholarship or play a pro sport. That is wrong. I've seen it happen with our kids. The beer league basketball guys tried to convince Adam Thielen he should quit FB and focus on BB. He was the leading scorer in school history til Mollberg broke his record and he could have played NAIA or maybe D-2. Instead he had fun playing fb, developed late, played at Mankato and now plays for the Vikings. My son in law just finished his 12th NFL season and I don't believe he would have made it had he not been a multiple sport athlete. Wayne Gretzky was quoted as saying, when asked how he avoided burnout, " we played hockey in the winter and baseball in the summer". We take kids out of other sports to play Elite league hockey or AAU basketball. We take our kids away from their hs classmates to play juniors. Doesn't make sense to me.

FWIW Andy Johnson is reporting the Badgers are in the mix for Auston Matthews.  Seems like a good news, bad news situation.  Good news the kid is seriously considering the NCAA route when many think he's destined for Canada.  Bad news for us in that he's adding another college program to his candidates, which at last count numbered around 5 already.  :ohmy:

FWIW Andy Johnson is reporting the Badgers are in the mix for Auston Matthews.  Seems like a good news, bad news situation.  Good news the kid is seriously considering the NCAA route when many think he's destined for Canada.  Bad news for us in that he's adding another college program to his candidates, which at last count numbered around 5 already.  :ohmy:

Boeser added UMD right before he committed to UND... maybe Matthews will do the same?

FWIW Andy Johnson is reporting the Badgers are in the mix for Auston Matthews. Seems like a good news, bad news situation. Good news the kid is seriously considering the NCAA route when many think he's destined for Canada. Bad news for us in that he's adding another college program to his candidates, which at last count numbered around 5 already. :ohmy:

Well to be fair his list is 59 schools long plus MJ :) not bad dwindling that down ha. Probably around 10 realistic ncaa possibilities he would attend Im guessing then to his 6. He can take as long as he wants.

This kid is the read deal top pick the way he's played and playing. The one thing UND has going is other top elite usa guys with schmaltz and boeser already in town. Guessing he's MJ but would enjoy seeing him for a year at the ralph! Rarity for college hockey.

Any other guys pop up later this year on the UND radar to keep an eye on?? Thanks