SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Higher than Toews level. From what I have been reading people are curious who is going to be better between him and Eichel. So that level. Very likely he will be first pick in the draft next year.

Higher than Toews level? ????  unlikely...although he is an outstanding player

not to be a jerk, but you do realize that Jonathan Toews is arguably the best 2-way center in the world and arguably the best leader in hockey since Yzerman and Moose

not to be a jerk, but you do realize that Jonathan Toews is arguably the best 2-way center in the world and arguably the best leader in hockey since Yzerman and Moose

And you do realize that we are talking about them coming into college right.

Toews had 39pts in 42 games his Freshman season. Eichel has 55pts in 32 games and people are saying those 2 are very comparable. I am not saying he will end up being better than Toews is as a pro or a college player, but think as a prospect coming in he is a level up from Toews.

And you do realize that we are talking about them coming into college right.

Toews had 39pts in 42 games his Freshman season. Eichel has 55pts in 32 games and people are saying those 2 are very comparable. I am not saying he will end up being better than Toews is as a pro or a college player, but think as a prospect coming in he is a level up from Toews.

And Toews was 17 his entire freshman year and dominated at the World Juniors.  Prior to coming to UND he went #1 overrall in the bantam draft for the WHL...Eichel is a great player and had a great year- he has been 18 all season long

Yeah. That 6 month age difference is huge.  :silly:

In physical development at that age it sure does...I graduated high school at 17...played against guys my senior year who were a year older...10 pounds of muscle makes a big difference

Toews went #1 overrall in the bantam draft...rather than arguing, can we agree that they are both Blue Chippers...

A comparison to Toews is very, very dangerous for a kid that hasn't set foot on a campus yet

Higher than Toews level? ???? unlikely...although he is an outstanding player

Actually I believe Matthews is a higher ranked prospect than when toews came in. Matthews is the heavy favorite to go 1, toews wasn't a lock to go three, that was a big deal when it happened.

Now will Matthews be as good a pro....probably not.

FWIW Andy Johnson is reporting the Badgers are in the mix for Auston Matthews.  Seems like a good news, bad news situation.  Good news the kid is seriously considering the NCAA route when many think he's destined for Canada.  Bad news for us in that he's adding another college program to his candidates, which at last count numbered around 5 already.  :ohmy:

For the record Andy Baggot reported it, I just wrote about what Baggot said.

I still think it's a long shot that he plays college hockey, FWIW.

Given the recent trends, I'd have to agree with you. 

It's not even about recent trends, it's about the amount of work he has to put in to even get to college. Accelerating high school is really hard. It's even harder when you're an elite athlete traveling around the world playing hockey for Team USA. The work he's going to have to put in during the spring semester and over the summer to graduate early is going to be very demanding. And all that to play (likely) one year of college hockey? Not saying he won't do it, but it makes a lot of sense for a kid like that who is going to be a sure-fire top 5 pick in 2016 to just go to the WHL.

• Upvote 1

All I know is that Toews might be the best two-way player to ever play at UND....

In his draft year, he was ranked third by central scouting and ended up drafted there.

His hype was less coming in, because he came in as the youngest player in the NCAA.

All I know is that Toews might be the best two-way player to ever play at UND....

In his draft year, he was ranked third by central scouting and ended up drafted there.

His hype was less coming in, because he came in as the youngest player in the NCAA.

THW: How do you characterize your game and who do you compare yourself to?

Matthews: I try to be a two-way power forward, skilled, similar to a Jonathan Toews or Anze Kopitar.

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/q-a-with-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-auston-matthews/

He might as well follow in the footsteps that Jonathan Toews took :bigsmile: . He would excel in the college ranks just as much as he would going major junior. 

With how young Toews was when he came to UND, I'm guessing he accelerated his education as well?

Alas, it's most likely a pipe dream.  

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/q-a-with-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-auston-matthews/

He might as well follow in the footsteps that Jonathan Toews took :bigsmile: . He would excel in the college ranks just as much as he would going major junior. 

With how young Toews was when he came to UND, I'm guessing he accelerated his education as well?

I actually think these types of kids would benefit more from college hockey to play against bigger, more mature kids.  Auston matthews is a decent sized kid with great athleticicm...there is no reason he needs to go play against kids his own age or younger.  All he's going to do is put up video game numbers.

Link: http://thehockeywriters.com/q-a-with-2016-nhl-draft-prospect-auston-matthews/

He might as well follow in the footsteps that Jonathan Toews took :bigsmile: . He would excel in the college ranks just as much as he would going major junior.

Was watching NHL Hockey Central on NHL Network just now and the host was talking about a top prospects game in Vancouver and naming the players that will be there and he said sort of jokingly "and maybe even Auston Matthews, after perhaps turning down such colleges as North Dakota"

And then former Wolverine Billy Jaffe was like "maybe there's another college besides North Dakota there"

And the host said " I think everyone's after Auston Matthews". And then the topic changed.

Don't know if it means anything, or if he was just picking a great school for an example. Still pretty cool.

Arguably? There is no question about it. Not even an inkling. Not even Crosby is a member of the The Round Table...Toews is. I'm sorry but Eichel to me, needs to be much, much grittier in the corners. Mattews I don't know as i have not seen him play. the best part about Toews is not even the hockey.......its his superman status as the best captain in any pro sport there is that has come along in at least 20 years.....especially displaying that kind of maturity at such a young age. A long, long way to go for either of these two kids to reach Toews' level. i would bet against it. 

Arguably? There is no question about it. Not even an inkling. Not even Crosby is a member of the The Round Table...Toews is. I'm sorry but Eichel to me, needs to be much, much grittier in the corners. Mattews I don't know as i have not seen him play. the best part about Toews is not even the hockey.......its his superman status as the best captain in any pro sport there is that has come along in at least 20 years.....especially displaying that kind of maturity at such a young age. A long, long way to go for either of these two kids to reach Toews' level. i would bet against it. 

But again....the initial poster was talking about as an NHL prospect.   I don't think anyone, including the Hawks, thought Toews would turn out to be the type of player he has become, or achieved the results he has to date.  Otherwise he would have went #1 in a second.

But again....the initial poster was talking about as an NHL prospect.   I don't think anyone, including the Hawks, thought Toews would turn out to be the type of player he has become, or achieved the results he has to date.  Otherwise he would have went #1 in a second.

I agree.....hard to look into the future like that. Again, the chances are incredibly thin that either one of them becomes like Superman in Chicago. That being said, Toews at that age was already a legend on the world stage. 

I agree.....hard to look into the future like that. Again, the chances are incredibly thin that either one of them becomes like Superman in Chicago. That being said, Toews at that age was already a legend on the world stage. 

Agreed...on a very very good and absolutely loaded Canadian team.  If you ask me....Eichel and Matthews are very comparable to Toews evaluating them at the same age.  A lot can happen for Eichel and Matthews in these next few years obviously.

On a side note, Toews was and is a beast but boy did he show up in Chicago at the right time.  I'm trying not to take too much away from Toews but those teams have been loaded for a while (in full transparency Toews is my favorite NHL player and the CHI is my favorite team).

Agreed...on a very very good and absolutely loaded Canadian team.  If you ask me....Eichel and Matthews are very comparable to Toews evaluating them at the same age.  A lot can happen for Eichel and Matthews in these next few years obviously.

On a side note, Toews was and is a beast but boy did he show up in Chicago at the right time.  I'm trying not to take too much away from Toews but those teams have been loaded for a while (in full transparency Toews is my favorite NHL player and the CHI is my favorite team).

Matthews is not afraid to go the net to score goals. His size doesn't hurt either, he's a big body. I would expect Matthews if he went college next year to make a huge impact. Eichel has been great this year, no doubt, but I liked Matthews game more than Eichel's in the world juniors. One has to remember team USA sat Matthews for a bit and played Eichel like he was a God in the world juniors too.