SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

9 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

If you’re referring to his UND hockey podcast episode from August 23rd, there was also some discussion about why UND and Michigan haven’t played a regular season series since 1980. What didn’t get mentioned is that there’s some speculation that either Red didn’t like UND and/or Michigan typically wants teams to travel to their barn but rarely reciprocates. 

I find it hard that Red didn't like UND when he almost went to UND.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Goon said:

Yeah, that's a good point. Why hasn't UND played the Ugly Helmets in a two-games series since the 1980's. I know @MafiaMan is a big-time Michigan fan and would probably travel to Ann Harbor, Michigan to see a series. 

Yost is high on my to do list; can anyone confirm if it's as special as it seems?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Yost is high on my to do list; can anyone confirm if it's as special as it seems?

I didn't think it was anything special to be honest. I would take the Ralph any day of the week over Yost. Now the Big House was pretty awesome.

On 8/30/2024 at 3:04 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If you want vibes and history, Hobey Baker rink at Princeton was top notch, same with Matthews Arena in Boston, but that's falling to the wrecking ball soon.  Yost is OK, but nothing special hockey wise, kind of like if you retrofitted a hockey rink into the Hyslop.  I was pretty underwhelmed.  Cornell is solid, BU, BC and Harvard rinks are pretty non-descript. A couple trips I'd like to do are SLU-Clarkson, Maine, and Michigan Tech.  Tech's resurgence makes that seem like it could be a fun one.  An early October series would be a great time to see the fall colors in the UP as well.

7 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Word on street among the absolutely elite prospects is NCHC is lagging Big 10 and Hockey East..obv our team is still a wagon, but top kids are hesitating 

Lagging in what respect, visibility? The NCHC has won 6 NC since the realignment, Big 10 zero & Hockey East a couple, I think. If anything, the exact opposite is true. There's no comparison, the NCHC dominates when it matters.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, .357 said:

Lagging in what respect, visibility? The NCHC has won 6 NC since the realignment, Big 10 zero & Hockey East a couple, I think. If anything, the exact opposite is true. There's no comparison, the NCHC dominates when it matters.

Attendance and fan interest is also far superior in the NCHC.  It also a much deeper league, where there are fewer easy wins.  Hockey East also benefits from more non con games against Atlantic Hockey where you can pad the stat sheet. The NCHC is very much an "iron sharpens iron" league.

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Attendance and fan interest is also far superior in the NCHC.  It also a much deeper league, where there are fewer easy wins.  Hockey East also benefits from more non con games against Atlantic Hockey where you can pad the stat sheet. The NCHC is very much an "iron sharpens iron" league.

Right, but the very top players are choosing Big10 and HE at a significantly higher rate the last couple years. Doesn’t mean they’ll win, but it can help and it’s fun to have players go to the NHL.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Right, but the very top players are choosing Big10 and HE at a significantly higher rate the last couple years. Doesn’t mean they’ll win, but it can help and it’s fun to have players go to the NHL.

I don't think there's been much change. Bc and BU have always gotten big eastern players and with ntdp in their backyard Michigan has gotten big names as have Minnesota and Wisconsin. If there was a flow of guys to Penn St Merrimack or Vermont I'd agree we were seeing a shift, but UND and DU are still getting big names with other NCHC pulling an occasional blue chip. Will be interesting to see how ASU recruiting differs with then now in the conference. 

On 9/1/2024 at 8:32 PM, nodakvindy said:

I don't think there's been much change. Bc and BU have always gotten big eastern players and with ntdp in their backyard Michigan has gotten big names as have Minnesota and Wisconsin. If there was a flow of guys to Penn St Merrimack or Vermont I'd agree we were seeing a shift, but UND and DU are still getting big names with other NCHC pulling an occasional blue chip. Will be interesting to see how ASU recruiting differs with then now in the conference. 

Oh there has been. Sure UND and DU still get blue chips here and there. But more blue chips than ever before are choosing to play college puck. I could be a bit older than you but I remember a pocket of time where we had at least one first rounder 3-4 years in a row. Teams like BC, BU, Mich etc are basically doing that now with more volume. Not bashing our recruiting at all, we have a great class this year. We just don’t hit those blue chips as hard as we used to…or as hard as those other schools have been lately. Times have changed a bit. That’s fine as long as we produce.

21 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

hate the portal

I was thinking about this a few days ago. They could make it where a player signs a NIL agreement, they are looked into that agreement for a certain amount of time and can't transfer. But that would be too easy for the NCAA to make a rule.

26 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

hate the portal

The portal has been a cruel mistress to the less-established schools, but has been a boon so far for UND. Though it should be used judiciously & not viewed as a recruiting tool on par with the traditional method. 

I was thinking every player should get one “free” transfer if they don’t like their situation.  After that, it goes back to the old way where you would have to sit out a year. (Unless of course your coach was to leave or something similar). That would definitely cut down on the free agency we are currently seeing.

• Upvote 2