SiouxSports.com Forum

Spirit Lake withdraws support for logo

GrahamKracker

Pembroke was founded as an Indian school.  UND was not.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm aware that UNC-Pembroke was founded as an Indian school. But with only one in five students being American Indian and blacks outnumbering Indians, it's no longer an Indian school. In looking at UNC-Pembroke's Web site, I don't see anywhere that they even attempt to portray it as being engaged in its original mission.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again GK...please answer the question.

Why is it ok for Bottineu and Spirit Lake to use native american references as their name as well as Red Lake?

If its offenseive, its offensive no matter who is wearing it, fact is, native americans support it because they are mostly native schools?? Am I correct on this? You cannot pick and choose your battles!!!!

Your statistic is a bit misleading, GrahamKracker.

Comptom Demographics

Borrowing from the link attached above..."The racial makeup of the city is 40.31% Black or African American, 16.71% White, 0.70% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 1.05% Pacific Islander, 37.34% from other races, and 3.62% from two or more races. 56.84% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race."

I didn't realize that the government of Ireland (did you include those from Northern Ireland?) has exclusive rights to the words "Fighting Irish". Thanks for filling me in. Now, since my nickname for years has been "GrahamKracker," I am going to ask you to change your moniker on this site as I am complaining about its unauthorized use.

If the NCAA eventually rests its exemptions only on endorsement by ALL tribal councils of the namesake tribe, then I want it to retract the "hostile and abusive" declaration and instead refer to the condemned usage as "unapproved" or "disapproved" or "unauthorized" or "unendorsed" or "nonconsensual." That's much more intellectually honest since, as I have previously argued, no "victim" of hostility and abuse can ever effectively consent to that kind of mistreatment.

Ya know, I for one don't appreciate this issue being labeled as something that is supported by the "leftists". I'm pretty liberal about most issues and tend to have a rather strong dislike for extremely conservative attitudes. For example, my opinion of the current president of the United States couldn't be any lower. Yet, I'm as much in favor of the name as anybody else. Please don't turn this into a left/right or liberal/conservative discussion, because that's not what it is. If you think those of us from the left are against the name you're fooling yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mean to offend you DaveK... it looks like we're on the same page as far as the logo issue. I have very good friends that are liberal and I consider myself liberal on some issues(not a lot though). I just think that people like GK, Jesse Jackson and others like them are considered extreme leftists...it's just a fact. Without a doubt there are many Democrats on this board that add a tremendous amount of knowledge concerning the issue at hand...this is an issue that actually brings a lot of people from both sides together...so if I've offended anyone on the left or right I apoligize. Now lets get back to keeping the FIGHTING SIOUX the FIGHTING SIOUX.

If the only way to get an exemption is for all namesake tribal councils to support the use, then obviously UND is not going to get the exemption. This standard certainly leaves open the question of what happens if one tribal council pulls support after the exemption is granted ? Is the exemption pulled immediately ?

What happens to respecting the wishes of the tribal councils that want the name used ? That gets shoved out the door as soon as one council opposes.

IMHO, UND will not get the exemption. The NC$$ ruled very quickly on FSU, then used that ruling to OK Utah and CMU fairly quickly. The NC$$ may be waiting on Spirit Lake if one tribal council support is enough for an exemption, otherwise it doesn't matter. My guess is they already have ruled against UND and are having the language in the press release reviewed by their lawyers in anticipation of a lawsuit.

If the only way to get an exemption is for all namesake tribal councils to support the use, then obviously UND is not going to get the exemption.  This standard certainly leaves open the question of what happens if one tribal council pulls support after the exemption is granted ?  Is the exemption pulled immediately ?

What happens to respecting the wishes of the tribal councils that want the name used ?  That gets shoved out the door as soon as one council opposes.

IMHO, UND will not get the exemption.  The NC$$ ruled very quickly on FSU, then used that ruling to OK Utah and CMU fairly quickly.  The NC$$  may be waiting on Spirit Lake if one tribal council support is enough for an exemption, otherwise it doesn't matter.  My guess is they already have ruled against UND and are having the language in the press release reviewed by their lawyers in anticipation of a lawsuit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Was Kracker going to call anyone of you folks with the good news that he talked the tribal chairs into supporting the name or do we have to wait until he gets back?

Not sure where to post this. If it's been posted elsewhere, I apologize in advance.

Summit of tribes to debate mascots

The intertribal summit panel on mascots will include Jesse Taken Alive, a councilman from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, and Leigh Jeanotte, director of UND American Indian Student Services, and student Franklin Sage. Taken Alive and Jeanotte oppose continued use of the nickname, and student Franklin Sage.
It doesn't state what position the student is going to take.

The panel

The intertribal summit panel on mascots will include Jesse Taken Alive, a councilman from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, and Leigh Jeanotte, director of UND American Indian Student Services, and student Franklin Sage

So do I assume that Franklin Sage is GrahamKracker...

So do I assume that Franklin Sage is GrahamKracker...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do not know wether or not he is GrahamKracker...But I do know that he has been intereviewed on tv and is strongly against the sioux nickname. I actually had a few classes with the guy several years (5-6) ago.

I do not know wether or not he is GrahamKracker...But I do know that he has been intereviewed on tv and is strongly against the sioux nickname.  I actually had a few classes with the guy several years (5-6) ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And he's still a student? He's worse then me! :lol:

Doesn't seem like much of a panel discussion if only one side of the issue is being represented. :huh:

The intertribal summit panel on mascots will include Jesse Taken Alive, a councilman from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe, and Leigh Jeanotte, director of UND American Indian Student Services, and student Franklin Sage. Taken Alive and Jeanotte oppose continued use of the nickname, and student Franklin Sage.

Does this mean that Taken Alive and Jeanotte oppose the nickname and Franklin Sage? :lol:

Exactly. Where is the differing opinion going to come from? :lol:

I would not be surprised at all if Kupchella didn't go today. If Mr. Sage (assumption) is as cordial in person to him as he has been on this message board, who would want to go and listen to someone spout like that for any period of time? He'd be challenging Dr. K to go outside to throw down in the first 30 seconds. Real diplomatic.

Would you seriously have ridden with him, HockeyMom?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah. Why not? Would have made for an interesting ride there. :lol: For some reason I think they would have stopped somewhere after half an hour of riding with me for a pop, and I would have been left behind.