Spirit Lake withdraws support for logo

GrahamKracker

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Streamed WDAZ report

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like Charles better get his butt down to Fort Totten and mend some fences.

The woman from Fort Totten said I never met him. There something key that Myra said, the Elders and the Kids like the name, its about 50-50. Elders in AI culture have the last word a lot of times. That is probably why this vote was cancelled or didn't happen.

I personally am not oppose to having freshmen recieve classes on racial sensitivities. And what is wrong with the athletes that wear the uniform with the Fighting Sioux logo on it going to the reservation and mingle with the kids and doing some out reach.

Its is pretty clear what UND has to do. The Fort Totten Sioux just threw UND a life line by not having the vote so now UND needs not to screw this up and do what we promised.

And what is wrong with the athletes that wear the uniform with the Fighting Sioux logo on it going to the reservation and mingle with the kids and doing some out reach.

I am as big of Sioux nickname proponent as one can be, but for the life me, I can't figure out why this isn't already happening. This should have started 15-20 years ago when the nickname issue really began gaining steam. Anyone with any common sense back then should have had the foresight to see that tribal support would be important in the future for keeping the name.

I don't believe ethnic/racial groups have a right to self-identity, but from a practical standpoint, if UND had fostered a better relationship with the tribe(s), we probably would have had a rubber-stamp appeal grant like FSU, CMU, and Utah.

If UND somehow gets out this mess, they better not make the same mistake again.

And what is wrong with the athletes that wear the uniform with the Fighting Sioux logo on it going to the reservation and mingle with the kids and doing some out reach.

Goon, that's a great idea. It's amazing how important kids feel when an athlete, or someone that they look up to, takes the time to say hi and talk to them a little bit. I think that would be a great thing to do to bring the younger people closer together and ultimately create a better, closer relationship between the reservations and the University.

Here's a good article on what Central Michigan does to help keep the support of the local Chippewa tribe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great read. Hopefully those in charge at UND are looking at what these other schools are doing and considering combining some of it with what is already going on at UND.

Signs at the football stadium and basketball arena feature Central Michigan and Saginaw Chippewa tribe logos. The signs read "The Tradition continues between a University and a Nation."

Sowmick talks to Central Michigan's incoming freshmen about the tribe and the university's nickname use during mandatory orientation sessions.

"It's important to respect their point of view," said Ashley Minder, a Central Michigan freshman who attended one of the sessions.

Last year, tribal leaders visited Central student-athletes to discuss the tribe's history. This year, student-athletes and coaches are required to visit the tribe's cultural center.

Rich Glas has been saying for several years that the debate over the Sioux nickname and logo is "a great opportunity for the University to educate", and that there are "many things that could be done to connect the University to the tribes". Why has no one listened and why has no one ever tried to establish a laison with the tribes that the University uses to represent the history of the region. We were the "Dakota Territory" and American Indian culture and legend has been a part of what we are forever. I am a proponent of keeping the name and logo because it instills a great pride in me (a white guy), but if the University is going to continue to ignore its obligation to define and describe what the "Dakota Territory" is all about, then I believe that it is time to seek a new mission, under a new name.

So, does this justify the use of the logo/mascot of a Nation that does not want you to use it?

Did I say that?

I've heard countless people say, if the name goes, so should the Indian...is this how everyone feels?
It's not how I feel. I can't speak for anyone else.

When the name eventually does get changed, does that mean that Native programs aren't welcome on this campus anymore?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why would you care? You've said that these programs don't count if they're not state funded. Your cohort James McKenzie said in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that most of those programs were shut down. So why would you or any other American Indian student care one way or another what happens to those programs?

And no one has ever answered me, If the Sioux Nation has requested the name changed, who are you, or I, or anyone for that matter, to say no? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

......and on the same note, who is the NCAA to say that certain schools should be reprimanded and other not be?

To say the State was "bought" makes a huge assumption that the majority of North Dakotans are against the nickname and the only reason it still exists is because of Ralph. That's just foolish. That's the name-change crowd just trying to create a boogeyman. They can't accept the fact that the VAST majority of North Dakotans did NOT want the nickname changed BEFORE Ralph's donation. If that's being "bought" then words have no meaning.

UND has listened and has tried. I know because I've been involved in some of those efforts. But there has to be a willingness on both sides to make it work.

In fact, I've been at meetings with officials from other universities in the state during which there are discussions about how to reach out to the reservations to establish ties. And do you know what I always hear?

"Talk to the people at UND. They know how to do it." And that was someone from NDSU talking.

When you look at the number of American Indian students enrolled at UND compared to other universities in the region, you have to figure that UND is doing something right.

That's not to say that UND couldn't improve, do more or do it better. But the idea that UND does nothing to reach out to the tribes simply isn't true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

PCM, I have no doubt UND does more to reach out to American Indians than any other school in the region. I was referring specifically to the athletic department. What has the athletic department done for outreach? Having athletes visit the kids, free tickets, and things along those lines would hopefully create young fans with a vested interest who are less likely to be "taught" to be ashamed of the nickname once they go to college.

So, does this justify the use of the logo/mascot of a Nation that does not want you to use it?  I've heard countless people say, if the name goes, so should the Indian...is this how everyone feels?  When the name eventually does get changed, does that mean that Native programs aren't welcome on this campus anymore?

Jumping to conclusion again. I don't think anyone has really suggested that.

Not officially.

I was told by someone I work with this morning that they knew one of the persons that was on the construction companies (one of the Foremen) that built the Ralph. Apparently there was dynamite on site to blow up the new REA if they changed the Fighting Sioux name.

Also, another thing I heard today is there is apparently something in the will that says they could actually destroy the Ralph if the name is changed. I doubt this one and believe it to be a urban myth but, you never know. Does anyone know about this?

I was told by someone I work with this morning that they knew one of the persons that was on the construction companies  (one of the Foremen) that built the Ralph. Apparently there was dynamite on site to blow up the new REA if they changed the Fighting Sioux name.

Also, another thing I heard today is there is apparently something in the will that says they could actually destroy the Ralph if the name is changed. I doubt this one and believe it to be a urban myth but, you never know.  Does anyone know about this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you know that someone will accept this as fact and use it to send to the NCAA or bring it up to any tribal council as proof of how dangerous it is around ol' Grand Forks. . It can be fun to jerk someone's chain once in a while but if you really believe that you are having too many Bloody Marys for breakfast.