SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

Where do these papers get their information from?

I've had to deal with media on a complex issue in the past. They get it exactly right about 30% of the time, close about 40% of the time, and the other 30% we'll assume something else happened. ;)

I've had to deal with media on a complex issue in the past. They get it exactly right about 30% of the time, close about 40% of the time, and the other 30% we'll assume something else happened. ;)

There are a lot of people in North Dakota that have trouble getting the facts right on this issue, including blog writers.

You must explain things very well to have them get up to 30% right.

ESPN's "Outside The Lines" has written one of the better articles written on the nickname debate. Since it's an OTL article, I wonder if ESPN will be including it in their tv show?

In looking at the comments, it appears Lakes is there once again to defend the those who are offended by the name. :silly:

http://espn.go.com/espn/conversations/_/id/7653898/north-dakota-fighting-sioux-nickname-logo-center-dispute-state-ncaa-tribes

ESPN's "Outside The Lines" has written one of the better articles written on the nickname debate. Since it's an OTL article, I wonder if ESPN will be including it in their tv show? In looking at the comments, it appears Lakes is there once again to defend the those who are offended by the name. :silly:http://espn.go.com/espn/conversations/_/id/7653898/north-dakota-fighting-sioux-nickname-logo-center-dispute-state-ncaa-tribes

Wow!!!! Lakes is a piece of work.

• Upvote 1

ESPN's "Outside The Lines" has written one of the better articles written on the nickname debate. Since it's an OTL article, I wonder if ESPN will be including it in their tv show? In looking at the comments, it appears Lakes is there once again to defend the those who are offended by the name. :silly:http://espn.go.com/espn/conversations/_/id/7653898/north-dakota-fighting-sioux-nickname-logo-center-dispute-state-ncaa-tribes
That article is unneeded, UND is going to show up in their new jersey's that don't have the Fighting Sioux nickname on it. I would bet the person that wrote this article that there won't be a logo on anything, even the shirts they were under their equipment... Also, UND women wore their new white jersey's against the Beavers in the first round of the Women's WCHA Playoffs as well. Edited by Goon

How can anybody be so obsessed with something that has no bearing on them?

I really don't give a !@$! what NDSU wants to call themselves, what conference they want to play in, what sports they want to spend their money on, or anything else they do...it's their deal, why does he give a !@$! about every little thing that UND does to the point of getting in trouble with the law over it?

Nuckin Futs.

The guy was straight up outed. Embarrassing report of his arrest that included his legal name, address, cell phone number were all made public info from the "wraith" email he sent to Al Carlson.

Didn't even slow him down. Not one iota of shame. He continues to spray his diarrhea all over the internet via cell phone.

If there was one person that I could ban from being associated with NDSU, he would be it. It's only going to be a matter of time before he gets the university in trouble somehow via his stalking of recruits.

• Upvote 1

Wow!!!! Lakes is a piece of work.

Lakes is also a Florida State fan. Thats right he sees nothing wrong with a white guy, dressed like an Indian, riding a horse with a flaming spear, and slamming it into the 50 yard line while thousands of tomahawk chopping, Indian chanting fans are supporting this. Lakes is a hypocrate.

Lakes is also a Florida State fan. Thats right he sees nothing wrong with a white guy, dressed like an Indian, riding a horse with a flaming spear, and slamming it into the 50 yard line while thousands of tomahawk chopping, Indian chanting fans are supporting this. Lakes is a hypocrate.

Maybe Lakes works for the NC$$ ...

• Upvote 3

I got my latest Sports Illustrated in the mail this morning. The last page is always interesting. Paul Taylor's short one page stories. Today's included a tongue in cheek interview between a Sports Editor and a young, naive, "un-enlightened" applicant for a writing job. Includes a very apt mention of the Fighting Sioux saga:

EDITOR: You're so naive, kid. It's not just the so-called aggrieved party you have to worry about. Take the teams at the University of North Dakota. Their nickname is the Fighting Sioux, and they use it with the blessing of many Native Americans. That's not good enough for the NCAA, which forbids teams with Native American nicknames from hosting its tournaments and the schools' athletes from wearing uniforms with the nickname or logo in postseason play.

APPLICANT: Gee, if that's the way things are, maybe I should just go into another line of work.

Complete, short article is at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1195704/1/index.htm

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/231992/

The petition circulators, led by the pro-nickname Committee for Understanding and Respect of the Spirit Lake Sioux Tribe, submitted petitions bearing 16,824 signatures, of which Jaeger’s office determined that 14,901 were qualified. Based on the last federal census, the committee needed to collect 13,452.

Therefore, the referendum will appear on the June 12, 2012, ballot,” he said.

If the NDSC doesn't rule it unconstitutional...Goodbye UND athletics. You know people will vote to keep the name either to kill the athletic program (NDSU fans) or they are just clueless on what the consequences are.

http://www.grandfork...icle/id/231992/

If the NDSC doesn't rule it unconstitutional...Goodbye UND athletics. You know people will vote to keep the name either to kill the athletic program (NDSU fans) or they are just clueless on what the consequences are.

Third group:

People who believe that a vote to keep the name will force the leadership (UND Admin, SBOHE, governor and US senators) of North Dakota to "actually" get on board, get creative and get assertive in all forums and mannors to put the appropriate SH*T in the face off the NCAA until they puke up their conceit and relent their irrational oppressive position on the matter. It will happen if we have resolve and don't give up. And it will happen before we would ever be kicked out of the Big Sky, which is the only real "long term" harmfull happening that is threatening UND athletics.

Don't give in to fear! Don't give up!! The fight is just starting..

• Upvote 2

If this was to go to a vote, I believe you'll see a very large effort by those who support moving on to a new moniker to educate the population of ND to the issues and problems presented. Much more publicity will be given to the consequences already experienced (consequences of keeping the nickname). Hopefully, enough people will be open minded.

Third group:

People who believe that a vote to keep the name will force the leadership (UND Admin, SBOHE, governor and US senators) of North Dakota to "actually" get on board, get creative and get assertive in all forums and mannors to put the appropriate SH*T in the face off the NCAA until they puke up their conceit and relent their irrational oppressive position on the matter. It will happen if we have resolve and don't give up. And it will happen before we would ever be kicked out of the Big Sky, which is the only real "long term" harmfull happening that is threatening UND athletics.

Don't give in to fear! Don't give up!! The fight is just starting..

Or just say our game, our rules. Play by the ones you've agreed to or leave. It is beyond me why you and others think that the NCAA is all of the sudden just going to change their mind? They are a private organization. The members make the rules and UND is in the minority.

The NCAA voting body is university presidents.

You really think that group, politically as politically correct as they come, will give ground on this issue?

Not. Gonna. Happen. (Not without a court order.)

Honestlly, after they finish off North Dakota I seriously believe they'll be looping back one more time for CMU, then Utah, then the crown jewel: FSU.

The NCAA voting body is university presidents.

You really think that group, politically as politically correct as they come, will give ground on this issue?

Not. Gonna. Happen. (Not without a court order.)

Honestlly, after they finish off North Dakota I seriously believe they'll be looping back one more time for CMU, then Utah, then the crown jewel: FSU.

north dakota has always been their target.

north dakota has always been their target.

Yes, we're the fulcrum to the end game.

But no one is coming to our aid so they'll all (CMU, Utah, FSU) have their own issues later.

The Minnesota/WIsconsin/Iowa PC mindset rules the NCAA and that's not going to change. I'd love it to. But it's not going to happen.