SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Non-UND FCS Thread

The Sicatoka

On 10/21/2024 at 10:15 AM, Oxbow6 said:

I also heard Gronowski got a 7 figure offer to leave SDSU after last season. Not sure who he got his advice from but at his age to decline that money was well.....flatout stupid. He looked slightly better Saturday night than the QBs at the Alerus that afternoon. He needed to grab that bag after last season plain and simple.

On 10/21/2024 at 10:25 AM, UND1983 said:

Having 6 NFL players carry you is something a player/parent should not ignore.  He isn't even an all-conference player this year.  

You guys are literally inside my head on these posts!!

On 10/21/2024 at 9:08 AM, Bison06 said:

You have no idea what you’re talking about. 

The vast majority of NIL deals are for small amounts of money with athletes signing local advertising deals for a few thousands bucks. The average NIL deal in a study done was under 3k.

Prior to the new rules, athletes were held hostage by their scholarship while people make literal billions off of them.(see the study done of the value RG3 brought to Baylor university during his heisman run)

What have you been smoking? I would be very surprised if average NIL is 3K now. Not sure when the study was done. I still do not like the whole concept but it is here to stay.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mama Sue said:

What have you been smoking? I would be very surprised if average NIL is 3K now. Not sure when the study was done. I still do not like the whole concept but it is here to stay.

Most people would do a simple google search before making a fool of themselves on a public forum, but not you. Good for you for not caring what the world thinks of you.

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-image-likeness/nil-news/shocking-new-ncaa-data-reveals-numbers-for-average-nil-deals

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

30 minutes ago, Bison06 said:

Most people would do a simple google search before making a fool of themselves on a public forum, but not you. Good for you for not caring what the world thinks of you.

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-image-likeness/nil-news/shocking-new-ncaa-data-reveals-numbers-for-average-nil-deals

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/08/31/business/nil-money-ncaa.html

If I would guess bigger conferences give more money. I know an athlete going to a Power 5 school getting offered 6 figures. 

7 hours ago, Bison06 said:

Of course the big dollar deals will be the ones that get the most attention. The reality is there are nearly 200k Division I NCAA athletes. An extremely small amount of them are making what I would consider big NIL money. As I’ve stated, the vast majority of these NIL deals are just helping kids pay their rent and living expenses. Allowing student athletes to benefit from their own value in the free market was long overdue.

Why shouldn’t a college volleyball player be able to go back to her hometown in the summer and run a camp? Why shouldn’t a business be able pay a cross country runner to mention their business on his social media account for a couple of hundred bucks? Even high school kids can do this if someone is willing to pay for it.

NIL “salaries” are a different animal and will eventually be handled with some sort of contracts in my opinion.

But, overall, an athlete having their own name, image and likeness rights is a significant move in the right direction.

Will be interesting to follow as the only group who will be able to reign this back in will be legislation.  

9 hours ago, Bison06 said:

I did a simple Google search. Average $2,716 for all colleges, all sports. BUT college football players are much more “marketable?”. Average in Big10 $216,000 and SEC $565,000…football is BIG in the south. These figures do not reflect other benefits….like a highly recruited 4 star player driving a new $90,000 Dodge Ram pick up the afternoon he signed. I also saw the lowest paid person was $67. Not sure what year this is….social media is reporting $1M now, for what it is worth.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, NDRA said:

Saw a video of the Bison coach coming outta their locker room before Bunny game.  He burst outta there like he was being chased by the devil!  Has Bubba shown that kind of fire?  If so I've missed it.

Of course not, there aren't many coaches who have.  Polasek is a lunatic.  Typically that kind of fire is great early on and wears everyone down over time.  Meh

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I was never big on the coach running out 1st like he's going to matter on the field.  Just confidently walk out after the team and let your players have the spotlight.  

Agree.  All that does is get some of the backups fired up to stand for the national anthem. At this level, players should be prepared, intense and mentally focused on their assignments and how they are going to dominate their opponents. Each player does that a bit differently and I believe the captains/seniors/team leaders should lead the team onto the field. Those are the guys who have to keep the energy level up every time they run onto the field throughout the game. 
No coach has ever won a game before the national anthem.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

I did a simple Google search. Average $2,716 for all colleges, all sports. BUT college football players are much more “marketable?”. Average in Big10 $216,000 and SEC $565,000…football is BIG in the south. These figures do not reflect other benefits….like a highly recruited 4 star player driving a new $90,000 Dodge Ram pick up the afternoon he signed. I also saw the lowest paid person was $67. Not sure what year this is….social media is reporting $1M now, for what it is worth.

I never said anything about specific sports, I was speaking about all NIL deals and you asked me what I was smoking. Of course if you look at the highest paid players in the premier conference in the highest revenue sport that will be higher. That’s how averages work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SiouxBoys said:

Thank God he's not doing it for the old grumpy geezers on this website. The players genuinely love it. Once they stop loving it, is when he'll stop doing it.

I'm old and grumpy, but the players' enjoyment of this makes it a keeper for as long as they want it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UND1983 said:

It's not like he couldn't bust out a new dance and they wouldn't love that too.  Change it up a little bit.  It resembles our end of season record every year

5 hours ago, SiouxBoys said:

Thank God he's not doing it for the old grumpy geezers on this website. The players genuinely love it. Once they stop loving it, is when he'll stop doing it.

Frankly, I doubt any of the  “geezers” give a rats behind. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1