SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2024-25

cberkas

23 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I was just chatting with a ushl coach who said same thing. Mentioned the ushl should fold into the CHL umbrella. One issue is that the CHL teams typically have more resources (ie $) other than the steel. Also, NHL provides funding to CHL too so the ushl would be able to get that too. 

correct, the development bonuses to CHL clubs is big.  Like everything, I think the principles align with CHL being amateurs for NCAA considerations, but the $ is going to be the challenge in negotiations

On 8/17/2024 at 12:42 AM, cberkas said:

This was a good conversation, and Petey with a story about his dad that I didn't know about.

The former Bemidji Lumberjack and UND goalie Steve Peters.

This was an interesting listen. 

I would expect a new CBA would take away the protection the CHL has from NHL teams taking players and sending them to the AHL instead of the player having to go back to their CHL team after a specific number of games in the NHL. 

As it was mentioned in the podcast. The CHL scholarships will most likely go away if the CHL ban is lifted. Because their argument is they will get one from the NCAA schools. 

I also don't see why the CHL would let the USHL into their league. Also, I can't see USA Hockey and Hockey Canada letting that happen. This is going to affect the NAHL, AJHL, etc. negatively but I think the BCHL will be fine. 

Now another point brought up was this will get more eyes on college hockey from Canada where fans are now following the players from their WHL team to North Dakota as an example. Also, this would get Rogers (Sportsnet) or Bell (TSN) to start broadcasting NCAA hockey games. This could lead to TSN saying NCHC we'll give you $3 million for broadcast rights in Canada or UND will give you $3 million for broadcast rights in Canada as an example. 

Will this cause schools to add NCAA D1 hockey? not unless a school has someone that is going to put down $100 million. Will this cause Canadian/USport universities look to join NCAA D1 Hockey? maybe, schools like UBC or McGill might. But I think Simon Fraser will be the first Canadian university to make the jump.

Arizona State released their new jerseys with CCM branding. They look like the gold jersey they had last year in white and maroon with off color name plates.

Air Force released a teaser for their jerseys. 

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/big-ten/gophers-likely-moving-on-without-rhett-pitlick

Haven't classes already started at UMN...or should be pretty soon.
Getting really late to be announcing that you are leaving.

“I think all indications are he’s going pro,” Motzko said. “He was property and drafted by Montreal, had to go through the process to become a free agent. I’ve stayed on the sidelines with that.”

Sources have told The Rink Live that Pitlick finished his college degree in the spring and has not participated in any of the team’s on-campus training or skating sessions over the summer.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-college/big-ten/gophers-likely-moving-on-without-rhett-pitlick

Haven't classes already started at UMN...or should be pretty soon.
Getting really late to be announcing that you are leaving.

Minnesota colleges start later than UND/NDSU. They start at some point after Labor Day. Don’t remember if it’s immediately after or not. 

I know emotions are involved in this Idea, but he isn't in the top 40 for points in a season. 

Looking the players in the top 40 all-time scoring in a season and also a Hobey Baker winner: (1) Tony Hrkac, (T2) Bill Watson, (11) Kip Miller, and (12) Paul Kariya

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I know emotions are involved in this Idea, but he isn't in the top 40 for points in a season. 

Looking the players in the top 40 all-time scoring in a season and also a Hobey Baker winner: (1) Tony Hrkac, (T2) Bill Watson, (11) Kip Miller, and (12) Paul Kariya

Bill Masterson wasn't a special player, but the tragic death is why he's memorialized. Gaudreau coming back when he was NHL ready and being the most clear cut Hobey winner in my lifetime is also worth something.  80 points in the modern era is like 120 points in the 80's.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

NIL and roster management? Just follow college football's lead.

NIL is not a university controlled item. 

More death of amateurism: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/31795157/the-rise-college-football-general-manager 

Two names come to mind: Dave Hakstol (if he's done with NHL) or Bryn Chyzyk (USHL GM Waterloo). 

On 8/13/2024 at 12:26 PM, Goon said:

Went down a wormhole reading this article and the related tweets in it.  I 100% support and agree with this tweet below.  The NCAA should keep CHL players ineligible because of what playing NCAA hockey does for American players and the opportunity for American kids to play college hockey.  I'd also add, many NCAA schools are state institutions supported by our tax dollars, and if not, all of these colleges are in some way shape or form receiving federal funds, either through student loans paying tuition or a variety of other forms.  NCAA hockey would not exist if these schools did not exist. 

The Canadians cannot have their cake (CHL) and eat it too (NCAA).  If a Canadian kid wants to play in the NCAA there is a pathway for that USHL/NAHL/NCDC, go play in one of those leagues.  If the Canadians want, they can create their own collegiate hockey system by emphasizing their USports programs and elevating them to NCAA levels.  Pay for it yourselves, don't piggyback on our dime.

USA Hockey should be playing politics and looking out for the development of American born players.  Absolutely, that's their job.  Otherwise, why have I been chipping them off $1,000s of dollars over the years in registration fees for my kids to play, coaching registration fees, CEP classes, coaching modules, etc.?