SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

On 6/17/2024 at 10:12 PM, scpa0305 said:

I really like this lineup 

18 hours ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Mine is not terribly different from some of the others.

Omac-Berg-Perron
James-Boisvert-Swanson
Kunz-Wilkie-Strinden
Schmaltz-Jammer-Croal 

Andrew-Monty-Littler

Livanavage-Zmolek
Macdonald-Emery 
Strathmann-Wiebe

Jubenvill-Komzak

Semptimphelter
Hedquist
Johnson

What I have above would be a #1 line with a lot of experience and potential. We need one line loaded to get points reliably each night.  Boisvert at center due to his grip strength, size, and high ceiling seems right while moving Omac and Schmaltz to the wings. 

The 2nd line would be a combo of guys that play with great speed/pace together while the 3rd line is very heavy and hard but has scoring threats. IMO the 2nd and 3rd lines are interchangeable as far as TOI goes

4th line would be a great shutout and high energy line with guys that play solid 200 foot games.  Sounds like Croal is an absolute animal and competitor, even though he’s not huge. I’d see Littler challenging him for the other slot on the 4th line

Regarding defense, I think the 2nd and 3rd pairing would be similar for TOI but Wiebe is solid on the right side and is comfortable there even for a lefty which is why I have him in that side. Also guessing Jubenvill get plenty of reps, I can see him and littler being the extra skater a lot of games this year

That 3rd line would be a lot of fun to watch!!

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sweethockey said:

The nice thing this next season will be that our offensive depth will mean that we're gonna have some talented players on the 3rd/4th lines.
Should hopefully create some tough matchups for opposing teams.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, brianvf said:

The nice thing this next season will be that our offensive depth will mean that we're gonna have some talented players on the 3rd/4th lines.
Should hopefully create some tough matchups for opposing teams.

Developing offensive depth across four lines will make it harder for teams to shut us down.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Top six; bottom six

Top nine and a grind that can still score 

I really think that mantra right here should be the mindset of the team this season. 

And here's to hoping Schmaltz gets more than 1 goal this season. 

• Like 1

We need at least three forward lines that are a threat to score, in part because I don’t think the d-corps is going to provide much more offense than last year (would love to be wrong).

On 6/19/2024 at 1:08 PM, Sweethockey said:

Strinden has really proven himself in my view.  I love his stick handling and his hard-nose moves to the net.

• Upvote 4

On 6/19/2024 at 3:04 PM, hockeytherapy13 said:

I really think that mantra right here should be the mindset of the team this season. 

And here's to hoping Schmaltz gets more than 1 goal this season. 

:) Goal breakout season for Schmaltz. :). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BusinessSoot said:

Former dman, Brady Ferner, will visit the Ralph on Oct 5th as a member of the Augustana coaching staff.

Very quick rise to the D1 coaching ranks. 

Good for him. We did him dirty, it's not like he was hogging a scholarship.

On 6/22/2024 at 12:39 AM, siouxfaninseattle said:

Before last season I would have thought it wouldn't be possible for him to score less than ten goals. I think that's where he will be next season.

Sadly, I was excited for his potential last year.  I believe his upside potential is still much better than last year.

13 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Will he double/triple the total from last season?

I would like to see 12 goals and at least 14 assists for Schmaltz.  Set high expectations.  When coaching high school soccer and near the end of the girls season, the team threw me a 50th birthday party, on field during training.  I told them for my birthday, I would like 50 goals for the next year, players and parents were shocked - that would be a 25% increase in goals.    End of next year we hit 50 goals.  Sadly, one team we could not beat and those games were usually 1-0.  

2 hours ago, Esoteric said:

I would like to see 12 goals and at least 14 assists for Schmaltz.  Set high expectations.  When coaching high school soccer and near the end of the girls season, the team threw me a 50th birthday party, on field during training.  I told them for my birthday, I would like 50 goals for the next year, players and parents were shocked - that would be a 25% increase in goals.    End of next year we hit 50 goals.  Sadly, one team we could not beat and those games were usually 1-0.  

I hope he entered his year end meeting offering to relinquish any scholarship/Alston/whatever that was zero sum with teammates. We've had a LOT of draft picks with better production that weren't back the next year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

As disappointed with his production as we are, I'm hoping he's unsatisfied with himself and has something to prove. 

Heck even if he ends up being solid on a shutdown I think that would be great. I also would rather he not get many reps on the power play again, but maybe I'm missing something haha

On 6/23/2024 at 12:58 PM, Esoteric said:

That’s some goal :) 

• Like 1

Couple draft articles from the Herald:

Will Livanavage get picked:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/will-the-third-time-be-the-charm-for-jake-livanavage-at-the-nhl-draft

The only two freshman defensemen in the country who had more points than Livanavage last season are expected to go in the top 15 of the draft Friday — Denver's Zeev Buium (50) and Michigan State's Artyom Levshunov (35). Minnesota's Sam Rinzel (28 points) finished fourth nationally among rookie defensemen, one point behind Livanavage. He was a first-round pick in 2022.

Emery's dominant combine:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/e-j-emerys-record-setting-nhl-combine-could-push-him-up-draft-boards

The 6-foot-3, 183-pound defenseman dominated the testing, finishing first in four categories and blowing away the field in a couple of them.

Emery finished first in the horizontal jump, vertical jump and no-arm jump.
His horizontal jump of 123 inches is the longest on record in NHL Combine history. He beat the rest of this year's field by at least 4.7 inches.
His vertical jump of 27.23 inches was 3.6 inches higher than second-place Jett Luchanko.
His no-arm jump of 23.57 inches was more than an inch higher than anyone else at the NHL Combine.
Emery also tested out with a body fat of 3.64%. The second-lowest was Ethan Procyszyn at 6.84%.

Projected landing spots
F Sacha Boisvert (2024 recruit), first or second round
D E.J. Emery (2024), first or second round
F Will Zellers (2025), mid-rounds
F Mac Swanson (2024), mid-to-late rounds
D Sam Laurila (2025), late rounds or undrafted
D Jake Livanavage, late rounds or undrafted
G Caleb Heil (2025 or 2026), late rounds or undrafted
F Carson Pilgrim (2025 or 2026), late rounds or undrafted
D Keith McInnis (2025 or 2026), late rounds or undrafted

• Upvote 1