SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, siouxweet said:

Speaking of NIL money.  Are there guidelines for this or is it just a legal way to pay players unlike SMU in the 80s?

I think the SMU guys pale in comparison to the amounts I'm hearing some of our favorite Gofers are receiving.  Don't know if I 100% believe it; the amounts are ridiculous.   These payouts a matter of public record?

15 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Dean Blais?

Ok then, what was it about Dean Blais & Jerry York that made them great college hockey coaches?

I was mostly directing the question at Goon, but it's open to anyone, I guess.

17 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Don't know if I 100% believe it; the amounts are ridiculous.   These payouts a matter of public record?

Someone puff up numbers (and their ego)? Never happens. ;) 

"Of record reporting" would be based on how the NIL is organized (private holding, corp shareholders, cooperative). 

4 minutes ago, .357 said:

Ok then, what was it about Dean Blais & Jerry York that made them great college hockey coaches?

Broken sticks and swear words

Comparing Dean Blais and Jerry York to today's game is just a completely worthless exercise, IMO. It's a different game/different world.

I'll say this again, you can all want Bubs to go, but it ain't happening any time soon unless he falls off a cliff performance wise.

35 minutes ago, .357 said:

What's your definition of a great college hockey coach?

Winning in the playoffs and having your team playing its best down the stretch.  Two things Berry isn't doing.  Winning a title takes alot of luck but losing every year round 1 is just bad coaching not bad luck.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

I think the SMU guys pale in comparison to the amounts I'm hearing some of our favorite Gofers are receiving.  Don't know if I 100% believe it; the amounts are ridiculous.   These payouts a matter of public record?

Let's hear it , I have never heard a word on how much any college hockey player has been paid via NIL so I am very curios.  For example did they give snuggerud 100k to stay??

28 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Comparing Dean Blais and Jerry York to today's game is just a completely worthless exercise, IMO. It's a different game/different world.

I'll say this again, you can all want Bubs to go, but it ain't happening any time soon unless he falls off a cliff performance wise.

I'll extend the question to you as well as Goon: Kindly describe what makes a college hockey coach great at the D1 level in this day & age?

• Upvote 1

The NIL benefits paid to some players could have unintended consequences.  I am wondering how some teammates will react to payments to some but not all.  I would not be shocked to hear a player or two suggesting they also receive NIL benefits, or they will find a program that will "bonus them".  Not enough playing time, not enough money, what next?

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm good. I think Bubs is a great coach, and you disagree and we've spent so many pages on this conversation. He's not leaving. I'd much rather talk about the 24-25 season.

You didn't describe the qualities of a great D1 college hockey coach. Please elaborate on why Berry deserves to be called great.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, .357 said:

They were great coaches in their time. They game has passed them by, their methods really don't work with today's athletes. I think Berry is a good coach, he's also a great human being. I think DC in Denver is also good. Honestly, some on this board don't like Berry and I really don't feel like getting in a pissing contest, we're not going to change each other's mind. People have their own views. I can respect that. For instance, some people like pineapple on their pizza, I don't. 

In a job there are water marks to show how your going , players in is goals , assists plus minus etc. 

for the coaches it’s performance wins , losses , recruiting. 
Berry gets a plus rating in regular season but a minus in the post season. He has been head coach for eight years and he is what he is but it’s up to him to change or like any job you don’t produce then a change should be made. I believe Berry is a great guy he needs to figure out how to win when it’s a one and done. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Correct, because again, I'm not interested. It's going to devolve into a pissing match of whether Bubs goes or stays. It's just not going to happen and I'd rather not go in circles.

If you're going to call someone great in his field, especially one who pulls home  over 400k/year, you need to have solid reasons to back it up. If not, then your claim has no teeth. Has nothing to do with a pissing match, genuinely curious why Berry is a great coach in your eyes. 

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

I think Berry is a good coach, he's also a great human being. I think DC in Denver is also good. Honestly, some on this board don't like Berry and I really don't feel like getting in a pissing contest. People have their own views. I can respect that. 

I agree also that Berry is a good, but not great, coach. Appreciate your honesty.

• Upvote 1