SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

31 minutes ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Would be the biggest mistake of his life. I just don’t see his game translating well to the NHL. Has a year to prove me wrong.

So if another year isn’t going to make a difference in development, why not start getting paid in the AHL or another league before deciding if you would want to go to Europe or something.  Even those scenarios pay pretty well compared to what the average guy makes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Would be the biggest mistake of his life. I just don’t see his game translating well to the NHL. Has a year to prove me wrong.

I actually think he may be a better fit for pro hockey than Blake is at this current point due to his physical capabilities 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

I actually think he may be a better fit for pro hockey than Blake is at this current point due to his physical capabilities 

He doesn’t play with pace at the college level…pro hockey will be tough for him currently. Had a nice shot though. To me, I can see why Blake would sign. I can rationalize it. If Berg signs, that would make absolutely zero sense. Basically means he doesn’t want to do school anymore. 

• Upvote 2

For those who want Berry gone.  John Calipari has a blueprint of how this can happen.  After feeling not appreciated leave for a lesser job(Calipari going to Arkansas, Berry goes to Bemidji to coach their women's program? ):D

6 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

For those who want Berry gone.  John Calipari has a blueprint of how this can happen.  After feeling not appreciated leave for a lesser job(Calipari going to Arkansas, Berry goes to Bemidji to coach their women's program? ):D

Calipari has his buddy the CEO of Tyson lined up to fund NIL.
Calipari is going for (I'd love to say chicken feed given the Tyson tie in but) greener like money pastures. 

Not the same. 

13 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Calipari is going for (I'd love to say chicken feed given the Tyson tie in but) greener like money pastures. 

Not the same. 

I was being facetious.

23 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not the same. 

He also has Jerry Jones backing him must be nice

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I was stating why Johnny C is leaving the KY. 

Speaking of NIL money.  Are there guidelines for this or is it just a legal way to pay players unlike SMU in the 80s?

50 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

Berry is the epitome of Calipari in hockey. They both can recruit great talent for universities with a rich history in their sports and both have all the bells & whistles at their disposal for player development and comfort. Unfortunately they both are 1 and done when it comes to the playoffs. 

I'll take a coach like Nate Oats from Alabama or Sandelin from UMD. They get talent, and not always the best talent on paper,  but are somehow able to get the most out of their players when it counts. That's the mark of good coaching - but it's just my opinion. This next year will be Berry's test as he is most definitely on the hot seat.  With a pretty good class of recruits and returning players, they should have a good run into the NCAA tournament. Any scenario that has the Sioux missing the playoffs or losing in the 1st round, I just can't see him coming back.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, neoflex said:

This next year will be Berry's test as he is most definitely on the hot seat.  With a pretty good class of recruits and returning players, they should have a good run into the NCAA tournament. Any scenario that has the Sioux missing the playoffs or losing in the 1st round, I just can't see him coming back.

Berry isn't on the hot seat. I would put money on it. 

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Bubs is absolutely NOT on the hot seat. Whether you, me, or the next guy think he should be, he is absolutely not on the hot seat.

People are really going to lose their mind when he's extended. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but Bubs is absolutely NOT on the hot seat. Whether you, me, or the next guy think he should be, he is absolutely not on the hot seat.

1 minute ago, Goon said:

Some not familiar w/ UND Athletics? I like the whether you think he should be or not, Berry will never be on the hot seat.

2 minutes ago, Goon said:

Hopefully, your right as I want the team to succeed whomever is coaching. But the point of the comparison of Berry and Calipari is that the Kentucky's alumni where looking to move on from Calipari, and he made the jump before it came to fruition. Berry might not get canned, but who's to say he might not move on.

1 minute ago, neoflex said:

Hopefully, your right as I want the team to succeed whomever is coaching. But the point of the comparison of Berry and Calipari is that the Kentucky's alumni where looking to move on from Calipari, and he made the jump before it came to fruition. Berry might not get canned, but who's to say he might not move on.

If he moves on, it's to the NHL.

• Upvote 1

If the other Bubba got extended, chances are Berry would be too.   I think we could go down the same path for the next 6 years and not win a tourney game and there wouldn't be an impetus to change as long as we make the tourney half the time.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, neoflex said:

Berry is the epitome of Calipari in hockey. They both can recruit great talent for universities with a rich history in their sports and both have all the bells & whistles at their disposal for player development and comfort. Unfortunately they both are 1 and done when it comes to the playoffs. 

I'll take a coach like Nate Oats from Alabama or Sandelin from UMD. They get talent, and not always the best talent on paper,  but are somehow able to get the most out of their players when it counts. That's the mark of good coaching - but it's just my opinion. This next year will be Berry's test as he is most definitely on the hot seat.  With a pretty good class of recruits and returning players, they should have a good run into the NCAA tournament. Any scenario that has the Sioux missing the playoffs or losing in the 1st round, I just can't see him coming back.

You're comparing basketball to hockey....

The NCAA Hockey Tournament is the biggest crap shoot out of the 4 major sports. The 2019 championship Duluth won, they got a goal late to tie Bowling Green and beat them in OT in the first round. In 2018 they needed help to sneak in the tournament and then bounced Mankato in OT in the first round and then went on for 3 consecutive 2-1 wins. One bad bounce in each of those years and we aren't having this discussion that Sandelin is the savior. My point is not always the best or most talented team wins in the college hockey playoff format. Look at UND 2010-2011 team had 32 wins, third most at the time in program history, outshot Michigan 2 to 1 in the frozen four and ran into a hot goalie.

UMD is dumpster fire with other issues off the ice. I would much rather be a Sioux fan...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, tnt said:

If the other Bubba got extended, chances are Berry would be too.   I think we could go down the same path for the next 6 years and not win a tourney game and there wouldn't be an impetus to change as long as we make the tourney half the time.  

UND FB is a hot mess. UND hockey is just a disappointment. Not apples to apples IMO.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, tnt said:

100% accurate.

Unfortunate for us, but it’s been proven with this AD & administration that performance doesn’t matter.  All we can do is hope for the best.

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

UND FB is a hot mess. UND hockey is just disappointment. Not apples to apples IMO.

I'll give you that, but personally I think with all of the recruiting advantages and the portal advantages, I can think of a handful of ex-UND players that could produce the same results we are seeing now.