SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA tilt: UND vs the Maize and Blue

Oxbow6

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

Lesser talented teams have to "grind/cycle."

Skilled teams use skill and don't "grind," it would be a waste of talent.

All 8 games were more or less skilled vs grind teams....all close games...with all non grind teams winning. (Cornell vs Maine and Michigan vs UND = tossup....evenly matched)

But in each case, the skill team is relied on “puck luck“ to win the game. OK, exception is Boston College, but Isn’t it always?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, KetoChronos said:

I know you all hate me because I am a Denver fan, grew up near GF but in Boulder now. But, point is that I think UND comes off to other teams in the NCHC as being laser focused on winning the Penrose. So much press attention to the Penrose. Honestly, we have DU season tickets and as a fan, I never hear about the Penrose Cup. So, there is something to it with UND’s post season trials. 
As a DU fan I haven’t cared much about the Penrose or even NCHC tournament, except that it matters for NCAA seeding, and you want to go into the NCAA on the upswing. In Denver it really is all about the NCAA championship.

You might be onto something.

Compare the 2016 Penrose celebration to 2024.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, siouxweet said:

I said it before these players are different than they were 10-15 years ago.   The deep pride and jump on my back and I will lead you isn’t there.  UND is just a stepping stone to the pros and how fast can I get there and if UND can't help me I will go somewhere else.  The name on the back is far more important than the one on the front. 

The portal has changed all of that. Players buying in and going the extra mile is no longer the rule. Brotherhood is an exception.

• Like 1

We are the Dallas Cowboys of college hockey. 

Brad Berry is our Mike McCarthy whom won a title of yesteryear but has failed to produce much in the postseason since.  Our history and legacy is akin to being "America's Team"...both widely loved by its fans but hated by most others.  Now we've both become the laughing stock of the postseason performance.

So this was posted on the Xtwatter machine....

I suppose we'd best start hoping the kid didn't just ACL himself into a career of teaching kids the best way to curve the plastic blades for floor hockey in gym class.

Screenshot_20240330_084555_X.jpg

2 hours ago, 108498 said:

The 2011 team was a great example of how UND hockey has changed since then Hakstal left. The 2011 team won the regular season title and the conference tournament and yet didn't touch either trophy. Although it was supor hard seeing them shutout by a great goal tender in the national tournament, that team was lazer focused on reaching a national title and you saw it.  UND no longer knows how to win in post season. It is one thing when football struggles, but that is hard to swallow considering the resources and history of UND hockey. 

Are you referring to the 2011 team that also lost to Michigan in the tourney, but by two goals?

Interesting how some are forgetting the number of disappointments Hakstol had in the Frozen Four.  For instance, his teams repeatedly got outclassed by Boston College.  Everyone I saw at the game from GF at the FF game in Milwaukee knew the game was over after one period.

Hak could get his teams rolling in the second half of the season until the Frozen Four.  

It was a tough loss against a good team last night.  Not an embarrassment by any means.  On to next year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Armchair Expert said:

Are you referring to the 2011 team that also lost to Michigan in the tourney, but by two goals?

Interesting how some are forgetting the number of disappointments Hakstol had in the Frozen Four.  For instance, his teams repeatedly got outclassed by Boston College.  Everyone I saw at the game from GF at the FF game in Milwaukee knew the game was over after one period.

Hak could get his teams rolling in the second half of the season until the Frozen Four.  

It was a tough loss against a good team last night.  Not an embarrassment by any means.  On to next year.

Titles are too difficult to win to be expected, but the excitement generated during the Hak era was unparalleled.  Seemingly every year could be our year.  Never missed an NCAA tourney (Brad missed three), 7 Frozen Four appearances in 11 years (Brad 1 in 8), plus all of the conference postseason success with Hakstol.  You could spend your money on St Paul or a regional knowing your team would be there and they'd show up.  You could buy Frozen Four tickets in advance knowing your team had a better chance of being there than not.  It was all very exciting even if they all ultimately ended up in disappointment.  What's exciting about UND hockey right now?

I see an often used phrase on here, "out of gas"...

Is there an issue with our conditioning?  Too much technology and cool gadge?  Not enough herbies, bag skates, trash can sessions, etc...

Something stinks in Denmark...

36 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Oh please.  Not a single program recruited Shayne Gostisbehere and he stuck with Union because they were the first one to make him an offer.  I’m also old enough to remember a no-name Harvard team beating Minnesota’s Pride on Ice in St. Paul in 1989 so spare me talk of revisionist history of the Hakstol era being exaggerated to “parity” today.  Hak had his teams firing on all cylinders come tournament time while Berry’s squads are always out of gas.  And that’s not an anomaly now, it’s a full-blown pattern with Berry.

Yeah in 1989.  There can be a Cinderella.  Those 3 teams won on what a 4 year span.  These teams like Union, Yale, Providence and QU just to name some 15 years ago were teams you were hoping to play in the tournament as they were a cakewalk to the next round.  Now it seems like anyone can win and the proverbial cakewalk doesn't exist anymore(unless it is UND:D).

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

Yeah in 1989.  There can be a Cinderella.  Those 3 teams won on what a 4 year span.  These teams like Union, Yale, Providence and QU just to name some 15 years ago were teams you were hoping to play in the tournament as they were a cakewalk to the next round.  Now it seems like anyone can win and the proverbial cakewalk doesn't exist anymore(unless it is UND:D).

I picked one year off if memory.  Michigan State in 2007 is another good example.  I don’t think there’s any more “parity” now than there was 20 years ago.  Hell, Holy Cross happened way back in 2006 now…

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

I don't know if I have ever seen a UND team get so manhandled physically by a team not remotely known for that type of play. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I think Michigan's physical play was one of the reasons we looked totally gassed in the third. Other than Johannes, every forward seemed to take a beating and I think that won the game for Michigan. 

We were also only playing with 5 defenseman who were getting tons of reps 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Armchair Expert said:

The 2nd goal was an empty-netter.

Wasted opportunities.....

#1 seed in Sioux Falls...packed barn. Basically a home game.

F4 at the X....same thing. UND fans would have payed whatever to go.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The 2nd goal was an empty-netter.

Point was last night was not a blowout or embarrassment.

Everyone claiming it is all about just making it the Frozen Four must be forgetting watching Hak get consistently owned by Jerry York and BC.  That was just as disappointing for me as anything that has happened under Berry.  At least Berry has brought home the banner that counts.  Maybe could’ve had another but for COVID.

Berry doesn’t seem to have a clue on how to motivate his team , just keep changing line combos right up to your last game. Who didn’t think Michigan wouldn’t come out blazing in the third , let’s have the boys ready. Yes I know Berry is not out there playing but in the eight years of coaching he is what he is. He should be an assist. Not head coach

32 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I picked one year off if memory.  Michigan State in 2007 is another good example.  I don’t think there’s any more “parity” now than there was 20 years ago.  Hell, Holy Cross happened way back in 2006 now…

Michigan State does not count they are a Big 10 school.  They are one of the haves not have nots.

1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

Michigan State does not count they are a Big 10 school.  They are one of the haves not have nots.

In 07 they were CCHA and in a fairly good drought re: the NCAA’s.

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Wasted opportunities.....

#1 seed in Sioux Falls...packed barn. Basically a home game.

F4 at the X....same thing. UND fans would have payed whatever to go.

Don’t forget Fargo regionals.  2017, 2019, 2021, and 2023 red carpet to the Frozen Four.  More wasted opportunities…