SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

18 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Maybe Carolina didn’t like the way Blake was developing. Wanted to get him within the program to get him on track

Ha!  I LOL'd at this.  :D
You think they're not liking his development into a NCHC player of the year and Hobey Hat-Trick finalist?  :) ;) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SIOUXELEVENS said:

12 players gone off this team , the new normal for Berrys recruiting. 

Did you foresee losing Frisch, Kleven, Moore, Bast, and Johnson a year ago? 

That wasn't recruiting; that was pros or the portal. 

Change with the world or be consumed by it. 

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Technically two portals: Emerson, Benoit. 

Emerson has been out of sight, out of mind for so long now, didn't even consider him a player on our team.  :D 

;)

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Just because he didn’t turn the puck over in the worst places doesn’t mean he improved his 200’ game. Coasting back on those Michigan goals proves my point.

Ludvig shoveling the puck into Pehrson's skate which deflected it into our own goal didn't help either. 

4 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Ha!  I LOL'd at this.  :D
You think they're not liking his development into a NCHC player of the year and Hobey Hat-Trick finalist?  :) ;) 

Yup same guy who was non existent in the playoffs. Wouldn’t know a hobey baker finalist was on the team if you had just tuned in for the playoffs. Will Blake be as memorable of a player for years to come like the other UND superstars? Not for me. Carolina obviously wants to sign him regardless otherwise he’s gone. 

I did misread that initial post on why Carolina was in such a rush. He would be dumb to turn down a big offer. Blake had all the leverage in those negotiations.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

Ludvig shoveling the puck into Pehrson's skate which deflected it into our own goal didn't help either. 

Not putting that goal on Pehrson. Such a weird situation to be in. I’m not one to blame goaltending for either tournament loss this year. We should have responded instead of fading away. 

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Yup same guy who was non existent in the playoffs. Wouldn’t know a hobey baker finalist was on the team if you had just tuned in for the playoffs. Will Blake be as memorable of a player for years to come like the other UND superstars? Not for me. Carolina obviously wants to sign him regardless otherwise he’s gone. 

I did misread that initial post on why Carolina was in such a rush. He would be dumb to turn down a big offer. Blake had all the leverage in those negotiations.

He was one of the few that actually was noticeable in the playoffs. Now if you were talking about Gaber, I'd agree but he dealt with an injury. 

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Uh, he had 8 points (3g, 5a) in 4 playoff games. 2.0 ppg during the playoffs is uh... pretty good lol.

Don't confuse Sioux> with the facts Stoney. He's our version of LakesBison and DrunkHockeyGuy. He has an opinion on everything, usually negative and always unsupported by a factual or evidentiary basis. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, skateshattrick said:

Don't confuse Sioux> with the facts Stoney. He's our version of LakesBison and DrunkHockeyGuy. He has an opinion on everything, usually negative and always unsupported by a factual or evidentiary basis. 

I mean, everyone can have an opinion, but saying Blake didn't show up in the playoffs is pretty easily refuted with real stats lol.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Not putting that goal on Pehrson. Such a weird situation to be in. I’m not one to blame goaltending for either tournament loss this year. We should have responded instead of fading away. 

I'm not putting it on Pehrson either. I'd say Persson had a big deal to do with it, though. I almost never blame a goal on a goalie because there are almost always 5 other guys on the ice that could have been around to help out. But that tying goal at the beginning of the 3rd could have been very avoidable if Ludvig either covers it or pushes at a different angle. I'm still not giving the goalie 100% but that was the only goal in the game and maybe only one of the few the entire month that the goalie botched the play. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

But that tying goal at the beginning of the 3rd could have been very avoidable if Ludvig either covers it or pushes at a different angle.

I just can't believe that he didn't just cover it.  With how slow it was going and with all that traffic right in front of him?
Just cover it for the faceoff.  Every time.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Just because he didn’t turn the puck over in the worst places doesn’t mean he improved his 200’ game. Coasting back on those Michigan goals proves my point.

It was Blake's effective back check that led to the fluky goal that tied the game. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Blake would have even more leverage next season if he stuck around...then he could become a FA if he wanted.

The deal will be the same either way, the max, just the option of choosing the team.  The leverage of getting a max deal now, and probably burning a year, is pretty compelling.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Walsh Hall said:

The deal will be the same either way, the max, just the option of choosing the team.  The leverage of getting a max deal now, and probably burning a year, is pretty compelling.  

As much loyalty I'd have to my program, this would be very, very hard to resist as a kid his age. Very hard.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Walsh Hall said:

Not to mention they are one of the best teams in the league at the moment. It’s not like he’s dealing with San Jose… 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Maybe Carolina didn’t like the way Blake was developing. Wanted to get him within the program to get him on track

Carolina is on a prospect signing binge right now. They did not have an AHL affilaite this season and it has hurt their depth. They need to restock the shelves which is why they are currently trying to sign all the prospects in their system as they plan on having an AHL team again next season.

"For starters, the Hurricanes currently do not have any AHL veterans signed to two-way contracts. 

Last season, the Canes had 10 two-way contracts, meaning they had plenty of organizational depth.

Furthermore, of those 10 two-way players, four played in at least one game for the Hurricanes over the course of the season, with two of them - Jalen Chatfield and Stefan Noesen - becoming NHL regulars out of training camp.

The bottom line is that the lack of veteran depth will be a big hurdle that the team will surely have to face at some point during the season.

The whole point of having those AHL vets is to 1) provide some dependable culture and experience for your prospects to learn from and, most importantly, 2) have dependable players that you can call up in the case of injuries.

Without those players, your options when things start to go sideways are not promising ones."

They had 14 players on entry level contracts this season and had them scattered around the AHL, ECHL, and Europe. This is not ideal for continuity as most NHL teams and their AHL affiliates work hand in hand on the systems they use.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, brianvf said:

I just can't believe that he didn't just cover it.  With how slow it was going and with all that traffic right in front of him?
Just cover it for the faceoff.  Every time.

it was like watching in slow motion..i could see he was thinking of sweeping it to the corner, and in my head im screaming COVER THE PUCK UP!....and then its in the back of the net...that was a killer..could just see the team was out of it after that

• Upvote 1